UK/Europe New Cancellation,Transfer Policy & Deposit Increase

Just out of interest, what would everyone do if RCCL's head office in Miami sent out a letter to all US TA's telling them that if they accepted bookings for UK or European passengers they would be struck off their list of 'preferred TA's'? That would essentially block all bookings being done by anyone outside the US except via street corner bucketshops, if any of those even existed.

Not saying they WOULD do it but that they COULD do it, it's their perogative to do whatever they please, afterall.

With all the crazy obstructions coming into being on June 1st, what is there to stop RCCL from stopping you from using the US TA aswell?

I'd already been thinking this too. I know that there is one cruise line(possibly Costa?) that will not allow US TAs to take booking from people without a US address.

I have used a US TA in the past to book Carnival as they are much cheaper, never before tried it for RCL but think that I'll definitely consider it for next time.

Julie

OK .... if everyone is going off to book other lines perhaps someone can inform this confused cruiser which of them honours price drops (whether or not they charge for the second one)??? Not much fussed about changing cabins incessantly and have never been in a position where I have wanted to change a cruise booking to another ship or cruiselines - do other cruiselines allow this too?

I have always booked RCI because I love their ships, their itineraries suit and they are damn good value for money (especially with the price drops!!!) - don't see why the introduction of a small admin fee would seriously alter anyone's choice of RCI?

Watch out USA ... perhaps RCI are trying these admin fees on us before they extend them elsewhere or is the UK completely autonomous???

P.S. for those booking RCI in the US aren't the prices normally higher in dollars than pounds with the current exchange rate???

Just another thought - what happens if you book with the Loyalty Ambassador onboard. Do you pay the same deposit as US customers or will they charge us extra since we're from the UK :confused: We're thinking of booking a cruise for next summer whilst onboard in July.

Incidentally we booked our forthcoming July cruise with the LA whilst onboard last October at £200 less than the brochure price. When we got home we transferred the booking to our TA, who deducted another £200 off the cabin price. That price for 2 (in a D1) is now £1000 more than when we booked it! Our TA has always said they do not honour price drops but have always given us such good discounts that any price drops have never come anywhere near the price we pay.

In all honesty it's standard practice to charge a fee for a booking amendment so the new rules don't suprise me that much.

However, I think the real issue here is the consistent way in which RCCL insist on treating any travellers outside the US so differently and with such blatant disregard for how they may all decide to vote with their feet, particularly with a market like the UK which already has a number of British owned cruise lines who seem to be doing a good job.

Well, doesn't affect us, as we also live in the US.

IF they stopped that, certain powerful TA's in the US would lose quite a bit of business!!! They would also alienate many UK cruisers, although they don't seem to have a problem with doing that!!!

Pax would then transfer their allegiance to a cruiseline which did allow it!! No contest really!! They WOULD lose some business!!!

I think though, that this would create quite a few problems - Princess tries to do it, but it doesn't really work and causes them a lot of hassle!! After all, the internet has created a global community - the cruiselines have to live with that!!!

Just a thought, but surely if the internet has created a global community the rules should be the same for all. This would save so much agro dont you think.

Sandra

The UK office is a compleat waste of time - 5days before we were due to go on the Brilliance we got our tickets !!

The TA we always use was told the tickets come from Miami and because of the Flu they office was under pressure - i rang i was told my TA was telling lies and it was hinted the TA hadn't paid in time - i rang the TA who hit the roof as you can imagine ( i was shown they'd actually over paid RCCL ) My TA is not a happy bunny and is taking it further imagine if i had of been booking with her the first you'd never be back if you thought they hadn't paid !!

Birtish Customers treated as Second Passengers !!!

WHY NOT JUST ONE RULE FOR ALL !!

Time to email AG the threat !!

jj.......

Being fairly New to cruising and having read many things about how certain cruise lines do this or that or have removed things in recent months I compare what some people are asking to land based Tour operators and holidays.

Lets face it even if you book a holiday to the same country/ Beach area with the same operator for 5 years or so and maybe to the same hotel you do not get offered anthing like the same amount of things you do by cruise companies!

So even with the cuts that have been made cruisers are still doing ok.

sandian .... what you say is true but just look at the EU ... different rules and holidays for all its members!! the only way cruise lines would change is if cruisers left certain lines in their Thousands and to be fair that is not going to happen.

Bobal ..... who are the British owned cruise lines?

Bobal ..... who are the British owned cruise lines?

Sorry, I worded that badly :o Rather than 'British owned' I was referring to those generally thought of as UK based - Cunard and P & O

Wrists duly slapped :rolleyes:

For me personally I will book with US TA not because of the prices but on principle. I will still cruise with RCCL. But due to the changes in transfer policy and admin fees we are charged here I wont be booking in UK.

This is my personal way of letting RCCL UK know I do not approve of their charges & policy change. Makes no difference in the end I guess to RCCL turnover but it makes me feel better.

And before anyone asks...yes I have told RCCL UK what I will be doing and why.

I often change cabins due to what is available when booking..or to be nearer friends etc etc so no way am I paying £35 per person for each change..no flipping way. :mad:

Hi all,

Ditto everything in the thread so far. The disappointment here is tangible. We're a community with no real voice. We can express our distress and concern amongst friends here but at the end of the day the outcome will be no different. That word 'happy' that RCCL used earlier to describe THEIR attitude just about sums this all up. It's one-sided with no passenger input whatsoever.

Where's Joanna Lumley when you need her?

Email sent to Jo,Robin & Adam expressing my disgust and disappointment with the new policy/charges.

Do you have an email address for them Liz.

Just to let you know my wife and i paid £35 each to change cabins prior to our cruise on the Brilliance two weeks ago - a price drop happened and 3 JS's came up as it was late at night and my TA wasn't open i held a JS online - so you can guess what happened TA had to ring RC-UK then i had to ring in the end we still got a JS for less than the E1 even with the £35 pp - but i put that down to me not going through my TA when i should have seeing my booking was through them ( just didn't want to lose out on the suite )

jj......

To me this charge to change cabins really is a cheek. We are already at a disadvantage because US cruisers can (and do) book up prime cabins on multiple sailings and then decide at final payment date which one to keep...we can't do that because of the deposit rules - and now..if some good cabins come up near sailing we can't switch to them without paying £35 per person!!:(...Unbelievable.

Do you have an email address for them Liz.

jj......

jrzymowska@rccl.com

Robinshaw@rccl.com

agoldstein@rccl.com

I addressed mine to Jo and ccd it to others.

(In case anyone doesnt know Jo is female)

Oh and email back from another contact who is looking at the questions we asked and will get back to us asap.

I know this will sound really daft but the fact that RCCL US have shifted the goalposts so many times in the last few months seems to come across as a test of loyalty to the brand worldwide.

Those goalposts are owned and thus shifted by Miami, not the UK or European offices, so there is little or no point sending scathing emails to the UK/European offices, you need to aim them at the pen pushers in Miami who actually decided to change the rules and force the worldwide offices to adopt them. Afterall, the UK and other office outside of the US are just the proverbial messengers in this aren't they?

They probably hate the new rules as much as you do, but like you, their hands are tied...they compain too much, they lose their job...you complain too much, and well we all know what happens to whinging passengers don't we? Yes, that's right, they get banned from that brand.

Your best bet would be to start a proper and official petition, you can use an online petition website to do it, get people to sign up and set a time limit of say 6 months, then send it to RCCL Miami. The more people who actually sign up, then the bigger the show of force you will have that guests both past and future are not happy with the way things are being done. Approach the problem in an organised way and you'll be taken alot more notice of.

Examples of free online petition sites are...

http://www.petitiononline.com/

http://www.ipetitions.com/

Posting your displeasure on a board like this will not get the message across en-masse, whereas a well written and thought out petition will reflect the feelings of those who care about this and will make alot more impact in the longterm.

jrzymowska@rccl.com

Robinshaw@rccl.com

agoldstein@rccl.com

I addressed mine to Jo and ccd it to others.

(In case anyone doesnt know Jo is female)

Oh and email back from another contact who is looking at the questions we asked and will get back to us asap.

Thanks Liz, I will be sending e-mails too. Even though it will probably do no good whatsoever, at least they will know what their customers think.

Julie

If they are to charge for changing cabins after the 1st June, what RCCL have to do then for people who book online through the UK website is to show EVERY CABIN that is available not just 5 or 6 in each catogory as they do now as the ones they show are not always the best available in each catogary.

John.

If they are to charge for changing cabins after the 1st June, what RCCL have to do then for people who book online through the UK website is to show EVERY CABIN that is available not just 5 or 6 in each catogory as they do now as the ones they show are not always the best available in each catogary.

John.

Just had a huge run-in with a department in Surrey office. I think they make their own rules there!! She certainly did!!! Cancelled the Eclipse - now all sorted and rebooked - Maiden voyage - should be fun. Don't mess with moi!! Hehehe!!!

Archived