Tracy Arm vs. Galcier Bay

Sauvignon

There is often much comment about the apparently ''superior'' experience to be had in Glacier Bay. This can make a first time cruiser to Alaska worried about whether they have chose the 'right' itinerary.

In my experience Tracy Arm is outstandingly breathtaking. The sheer magnificence is amazing. Last week under cloudless skies we experienced the beauty and grandeur unfold before us.

I was however surprised by that so few people were on the area above the Star's bridge to see this spectacle - we along with around 30 other people at most were there from before 6am.

Some others emerged as we approached the glacier, I heard one say 'I though I better come make an effort and have a look' Many others remained in the confines of their balcony -where I have no doubt they had a great albeit limited viewing experience.

So, my message to anyone is go to Tracy Arm - Ok we had perfect weather- but I am sure, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED, but do make sure you go to it and don't wait for it to come to you.

There is often much comment about the apparently ''superior'' experience to be had in Glacier Bay. This can make a first time cruiser to Alaska worried about whether they have chose the 'right' itinerary.

In my experience Tracy Arm is outstandingly breathtaking. The sheer magnificence is amazing. Last week under cloudless skies we experienced the beauty and grandeur unfold before us.

I was however surprised by that so few people were on the area above the Star's bridge to see this spectacle - we along with around 30 other people at most were there from before 6am.

Some others emerged as we approached the glacier, I heard one say 'I though I better come make an effort and have a look' Many others remained in the confines of their balcony -where I have no doubt they had a great albeit limited viewing experience.

So, my message to anyone is go to Tracy Arm - Ok we had perfect weather- but I am sure, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED, but do make sure you go to it and don't wait for it to come to you.

We enjoyed Tracy Arm in spite of a cold, raw, rainy day. Too bad your fellow cruisers were not as eager to experience the fjord as you were. However, not everyone goes to Alaska to see Alaska. Some just go for the cruise. :confused:

The weather does help improve the experience. The kind of day you had at Tracy Arm is what we had in Glacier Bay. It was absolutely breathtaking and awe-inspiring. You can enjoy your experience in all kinds of weather, but I have to say, good weather does make for a more enjoyable time. We also had a dreary, rainy on our shuttle into Denali. We were able to enjoy Denali, but the weather really put a damper on the day. When I saw photos that others had posted of Denali on a sunny day, I couldn't believe it was the same place.

Does the scenery really start at 6 AM? I am NOT a morning person. I do intend to get up early to enjoy Tracy Arm, but I don't want to have to get up any earlier than necessary. 6 AM just seems WAY too early to be up, showered, and dressed while on my honeymoon! ;)

Tracy Arm is indeed beautiful. The scenery is magnificent from the moment you enter the Arm, and the wildlife sightings are often good. It will, of course, depend on your ship's schedule, but it really is worth getting up early to see!

However, there is really no comparison between Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay if you want to see glaciers. The scenery cruising Tracy Arm is spectacular, but the two glaciers at the end of it are, to say the least, disappointing compared to Glacier Bay. Glacier Bay is a World Heritage Site and well deserves to be so. The scenery is close to as good as Tracy Arm, and the Glaciers are much more spectacular!

Here is a report of a cruise which did both ... perhaps it will help compare.

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaskaZ.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Tracy Arm is spectacular, early in the season it can be blocked by ice flows. Glacier Bay reminds me some of College Fiord but you get an up close picture of the glacier(s).

I like the Icy Strait area near Glacier Bay because of the whale sightings.

Does the scenery really start at 6 AM? I am NOT a morning person. I do intend to get up early to enjoy Tracy Arm, but I don't want to have to get up any earlier than necessary. 6 AM just seems WAY too early to be up, showered, and dressed while on my honeymoon! ;)

Are you kidding? If you are on your honeymoon you should already be up at 6:00..hahahahaha Getting up any time in Alaska if getting up to late. I get up at 3:30 to 4:00 every morning because I am afraid I am going to miss something!!!!:)

I have never been to Tracy Arm in the morning because the cruise ship that I was on went to Tracy Arm after if left Juneau and just like the OP stated, we had perfect weather as well!!!!! Tracy Arm is beautiful and we even got to see Sawyer Glacier calve. A lot of cruise ships don't make it down far enough to even see the glacier but the Fjord is absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!

Are you kidding? If you are on your honeymoon you should already be up at 6:00..hahahahaha Getting up any time in Alaska if getting up to late.

Hey, I did say that 6:00 was to early to be up, showered and *dressed*! ;) Good thing we have a balcony. I can just throw on a robe and step outside for a look. But I know you get better panoramic views from on deck, so I'll have to shower and get dressed eventually.

Last time I went to Alaska I tried to do it all. I finally crashed on day 6 and slept through half the day in Ketchikan. I had only planned to go shopping anyway, and I did for a couple of hours, but could have explored more of the town if I hadn't been so darn tired by then. I know I need to pace myself better this time.

We enjoyed Tracey Arm from our balcony (stbd side) and was awesome! Actually started the day in the gym enjoying the super scenery,lol But some people missed it because they slept in--our balcony neighbors slept in, right as we were departing the glacier!!! They had to rush, get dressed and head up to get a glimpse of it.

I've done both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay as an independent traveler on day trips and while Tracy Arm was pretty, IMO it didn't begin to compare to Glacier Bay either in terms of scenery or wildlife viewing.

So in choosing an Alaska cruise itinerary I will definitely err towards choosing one that includes Glacier Bay...I would love to see it again whereas I don't feel I need to see Tracy Arm again. But the cruises I'm looking at do both so I don't need to choose which is nice ;-).

Archived