Misty Fjords- boat or plane?

TiogaCruiser

Hubbie and I are planning to visit Ketchikan the last week of June. Misty Fjords sounds wonderful. Our ship (HAL) offers a 4 1/4 boat trip through Allen Marine and several float plane options. Also we are considering a float plane trip outside of the cruise lines offerings that has a longer landing.

Does anyone have any input on which way you see more (plane vs boat)? Does the round trip boat trip take the same path both going and returning?

Hubbie and I are planning to visit Ketchikan the last week of June. Misty Fjords sounds wonderful. Our ship (HAL) offers a 4 1/4 boat trip through Allen Marine and several float plane options. Also we are considering a float plane trip outside of the cruise lines offerings that has a longer landing.

Does anyone have any input on which way you see more (plane vs boat)? Does the round trip boat trip take the same path both going and returning?

In spite of cloudy/misty weather, our float plane trip was just fantastic. In fact the weather conditions added to the atmosphere. Worth every penny and more.

I've only done Misty Fjord on a floatplane with Michelle/Island Wings. It was FABULOUS! Talked with her this past Friday and booked again with her for this July. The landing she does is beyond description - we had to wait a few minutes before we could taxi over to the "beach" area until a small black bear left the area! The quiet serenity of the area is an almost religious experience.

While I can't compare a float plane trip to a high speed catamaran, we did the boat trip with Allen Marine Tours. I really enjoyed it. For the most part, the trip is the same way in and out. They follow the shoreline in a circle.

• 3 weeks later...
While I can't compare a float plane trip to a high speed catamaran, we did the boat trip with Allen Marine Tours. I really enjoyed it. For the most part, the trip is the same way in and out. They follow the shoreline in a circle.

I am thinking about doing this. Did you see much wildlife?

Archived