Best Beach in Grenada

crusingagaindave

10 topics down.

Short version - beaches are fine.

Info in thread above. Actually, I posted a link in that thread as well. So you're going to have to "follow the trail" a little bit.

If you have any other questions after reading the above, I'll be happy to answer them for you.

I'm going to grenada in a couple of days..

How do I get there? What does it cost? What can I do there?

You can take a water taxi from the port area. It's the quickest and easiest route. Cost is about $2-5/person. I've heard both figures quoted.

Is there anywhere in Grenada to go Parasailing or a place to do other water sports?
Haven't seen the parasailing boat in a number of years now. Guess they went out of business.

On Grand Anse, there's usually someone hiring out jetskis, small sailing boats (for 1 or 2 people) or windsurfers. There's also the banana and tube rides for kids (or adults) and water skiing/knee boarding.

If you want to be constantly hassled at a beach, Grand Anse is the place. Grand Anse is full of beggers, crippled people, and intoxicated locals.

If you want a quiet beach with one vendor and two armed security guards walking the beach, with excellent snorkeling along the southern rocks, then Magazine beach is the place. We went to Magazine beach, water taxi is $5 per person each way. Water taxi picks up right outside the location you are tendered to.

You can take a water taxi from the port area. It's the quickest and easiest route. Cost is about $2-5/person. I've heard both figures quoted.

Haven't seen the parasailing boat in a number of years now. Guess they went out of business.

On Grand Anse, there's usually someone hiring out jetskis, small sailing boats (for 1 or 2 people) or windsurfers. There's also the banana and tube rides for kids (or adults) and water skiing/knee boarding.

Thanks Jumbie! Off to Grand Anse I will go.

You're the greatest! Thanks for the quick reply.

Off to packing and cleaning I go.

If you want to be constantly hassled at a beach, Grand Anse is the place. Grand Anse is full of beggers, crippled people, and intoxicated locals.

If you want a quiet beach with one vendor and two armed security guards walking the beach, with excellent snorkeling along the southern rocks, then Magazine beach is the place. We went to Magazine beach, water taxi is $5 per person each way. Water taxi picks up right outside the location you are tendered to.

It's hardly filled with beggars (never been asked for handouts there myself), crippled people (there is one guy who walks with a stick on the beach cause of a problem with is legs) and drunks (okay, there usually are people drinking there; but they don't bother people from what I've seen and they certainly aren't fall-down drunk) although I will freely admit that some of the vendors are overly agressive in their "sales tactics". However, all you have to do is say no and they leave you alone. I know this first hand being white and often mistaken for a tourist (especially when I'd return on vacation during my studies away and was glowing white). You are, of course, entitled to your opinion and personal experience but I take heart that most people report a pleasureable time there.

Magazine Beach is certainly a valid alternative to Grand Anse. It's definitely less crowded and if you want to avoid the vendors for whatever reason, you can go there. There's also the option of having lunch at the Aquariam restaurant.

Grand Anse, in my opinion, is a nicer beach [water and sand] and much less rough.

Jumbie, thanks for your patience with those that are less than generous with other counties. You are a real addition to this board.
Thank you, but I do sympathize with his experience. If he felt uncomfortable, then that is unfortunate, but he is certainly entitled to his opinion.

It isn't the first (nor will it be the last) time I've heard complaints about the vendors. It is a recognized problem that they can be too pushy and an effort is being made to educate them about this and improve their interaction with the visitors to our island.

A few years ago, all of the vendors would roam the beach looking to make a sale. The Vendor's Market was built in an effort to isolate them all to one area so that tourists could shop at their leisure without being bothered, but it's sad that some people still follow this practice. However, like I said, they will quickly leave you alone if you tell them you're not interested.

It's hardly filled with beggars (never been asked for handouts there myself), crippled people (there is one guy who walks with a stick on the beach cause of a problem with is legs) and drunks (okay, there usually are people drinking there; but they don't bother people from what I've seen and they certainly aren't fall-down drunk) although I will freely admit that some of the vendors are overly agressive in their "sales tactics". However, all you have to do is say no and they leave you alone.

Allow me to clarify my opinion on the subject of Grenada. We had a very enjoyable experience in Grenada once at Magazine Beach. I snorkled for 4 hours there and saw a variety of fish. The armed militia on the beach made me feel safe. The vendors only asked us once to buy their products or rent their chairs.

Allow me to comment on other aspects of Grenada, only minor nuisances, not enough that we didn't totally enjoy our experience, but some observations to consider:

1. No less than 3 dozen people stopped us to sell their wares, mostly jewelry on the way from the tender to the top of the hill near the bus station. Some people even would not let us pass, but we had to step off the sidewalk to pass them. Others will grab you by the arm to stop to talk to you.

2. We stopped at Grand Anse on the way back to the port to pickup others on their way to the port via water taxi. The first couple asked if we were to leave straightaway, the taxi driver said yes. This happened 4 times, with about 3-7 minutes in between each additional couple joining the taxi. 20 minutes later we left, after a couple started to disembark for another water taxi. Humorous, but none the less a reality. All four couples mentioned the constant jewelry merchants, the multiple intoxicated locals. They laughed about it and I was glad that we chose another beach. Did I mention that we lost our anchor and another tourist had to dive in to retreave it?

3. On the ship, two couples on seperate occasions described their unpleasant experience with local vendors... Both cruise critics, maybe they will speak up.

Just checking in quickly from campus so I don't have much time to reply. We had a freak storm last night and a transformer on one of the poles near to my house exploded (possibly hit by lightning). Power's back on after being out all day, but my phone is still down, so no internet.

Hopefully it will be back up tomorrow sometime and I can reply then.

Mandoo has no internet (or didn't the last I spoke with him) and I believe he comes to campus to check his e-mail. Not sure how strict the security is being now that we're close to re-opening, because I got stopped at the gate the last week for the first time ever. Luckily I had my ID with me, which is good cause I usually don't. Anyway, hang tight. He should eventually reply to your inquiry. Send him another message in case though.

I heard from Mandoo last Wednesday, Dec. 8th regarding a reservation I had with him. He indicated that right now he's without phone lines to process credit cards (so if you're going with him in the near future, plan on paying cash.) He's managed to stay on top of the reservation made prior to the hurricane. Keep trying.

HoosierContour: Re: Grenada and Grand Anse - I am surprised it took the presence of armed militia to make you feel safe - I never felt unsafe on Grenada. Although one moron from our cruiseship (who was dimwitted enough to just hang her purse on a fence while she swam) had the purse stolen. She complained ad nauseum until someone asked her if she would do this at a beach back home (leave her valuables completely unattended in a great location for a thief). She admitted she would not do that on a U.S. beach. As for the vendors, I found them mildly irritating at the dock but quite polite and easily discouraged at Grand Anse. I don't regard saying "no thanks" once or twice to be a major inconvenience. But I guess everyone has different comfort zones.

• 2 weeks later...

Usually or pretty much always on cruise days?

Also, anyone know how hard it is to "pick up" windsurfing? Do the renters provide any quick instructions?

Usually or pretty much always on cruise days?

Also, anyone know how hard it is to "pick up" windsurfing? Do the renters provide any quick instructions?

Honestly, these days I'm not seeing very much of anything. For an island that increasingly depends on tourism dollars more and more each year, there really aren't that many facilities for said tourists. Beats me as to why, but since we don't get a huge influx of visitors year round it probably just isn't a feasable [profitable] business.

It's more private individuals who seem to show up more or less randomly. I just came from the beach (quite a crappy day today actually) and there were two jet skis for rent and nothing else. Saw the guy who does skiing/banana/tubes the other day but he was nowhere to be found today despite there being quite a lot of tourists on the beach.

The windsurfing people seem to have disappeared since the hurricane. They weren't locals and may have cut their losses and left Grenada.

Beats me. I haven't been to any of those islands.

Here is a page with pics of various beaches here in Grenada and Carriacou. They're taken by several people at various times so they should give you a somewhat accurate representation of the "many faces of Grenada's beaches".

My personal opinion is that Grand Anse is a really nice beach (especially so during the summer months when it is pond-like with not a wave in sight sometimes) but it really isn't all that spectacular. Some people here have the opinion that it is the be all and end all of all beaches...

Dougalsdon Estate suffered minimal roof damage during the Hurricane and is open for visitors as normal. There is an elderly gentlemen there but obviously I can not be sure that he is the same one you remember. Would recommend this as a delightful and tranquil place to visit and an opportunity to buy spices etc. at a fraction of the price to that in souvenir shops around St.Georges.

Another good beach to visit is that at Morne Rouge Bay.

Archived