A Few Questions?????

pammycakes

This will be my first cruise and I know nothing about cruising.

1) If we should decide to go into "town" on our own will it be safe

2) I have an 18 year old they can't drink on these islands can they.

3) If you book excursions and THEY are cancelled do we get a refund

4) I'm a single mom and am wondering if I will look out of place on this cruise

1) If we should decide to go into "town" on our own will it be safe. It depends on which "town" (port) you are in. But yeah, for the most part, you should be fine. Just be aware of your surroundings, stay alert, and trust your instincts.

2) I have an 18 year old they can't drink on these islands can they. No. Again, it depends on the port, though, and what the legal drinking age of that port is.

3) If you book excursions and THEY are cancelled do we get a refund. Yes. If you book through the ship and the excursion is cancelled, your sail & sign card will not be charged. If you book through a private company and the company cancels, then you will be refunded your deposit. If YOU cancel with the private company, though, or if the ship is late arriving/misses the port, then you MAY forfeit your deposit paid.

4) I'm a single mom and am wondering if I will look out of place on this cruise. Absolutely not! Lots of singles and single parents cruise.

Have a great time!

1. Depends on the town, I guess. What is the itinerary you're looking at?

2. Your 18 year old would be legal to drink in Mexico. Not sure which island you're going to.

3. If you book them through Carnival. If you book independently, found out the refund policy.

4. You will not look out of place.

Welcome to cruising! You'll be fine going into town on your own in most ports. I'd be a little wary in Jamaica. I usually do an excursion there.

Yes, 18 year olds can drink on the islands. Many islands seem to have no drinking age. :confused:

I'm a single mother, and cruise with my girls all the time. You definitely will not look out of place! Have Fun!

1) If we should decide to go into "town" on our own will it be safe

2) I have an 18 year old they can't drink on these islands can they.

3) If you book excursions and THEY are cancelled do we get a refund

4) I'm a single mom and am wondering if I will look out of place on this cruise

Hi Pammy,

What cruise are you going on?

1) I have found that most ports of calls are safe if you stick to the tourist areas. If you really want to see the island, hire a taxi or tour group driver and ask him to show you around the island.

2) The legal drinking age for the Bahamas is 18, if this is your port of call.

3) If your excursion has been canceled for weather, or lack of interest carnival will reimburse you in full. Most of the time they call ahead to inform you of any issues and try to move you to a different excursion.

4) You will not be out of place on a ship as a single mom.

Enjoy your first cruise, you will have a blast!

Most ports they are not going to check IDs to drink if you son looks close to 18, you need to discuss this with your son before going.

If you book a independent tour that isnt thru Carnival then Carnival wouldnt reimburse you, but yes, if you are booked thru Carnival.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. We are going to Puerto Rico (leaving from there) then St. Thomas, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Dominica, Antigua, and Barbados. Is there anything That is a must to see or do? I am also going to have my 14 yer old with me.(no need to worry about him drinking lol).

I just dont want my son drinking at least not yet

Ok, unless you have watched your son every minute of every day, at 18, he has already had a drink or two. I would think that this would be a great educational time. Find a nice sidewalk bar and have a drink with your son. Teach him that having a glass of wine with dinner or a beer with his friends watching their favorite team is fine. Either on the island or on the ship, continue your talks, people watch, discuss what happens when someone has to much to drink.

If there is an alcohol problem that runs in you family, then that's a different type of talk.

At 18, he is old enough to vote or die for his country. Let him have a drink where he is of legal age.

Your ports are as safe as anywhere else...use due diligence anywhere,, and you should be just fine.

If the ship cancels your excursion, you will get a refund. If you cancel within the "cancellation" period, you will get a refund. If you don't show up for the excursion, shame on you---they will keep your money!

Your son will be able to drink on almost every island...the US has some of the most restrictive drinking policies going.

We were allowed to drink at 18...we're still here!

He is legally an adult---but it's up to you to have taught your child your values...whether he will follow them........?

Well he's 18 and won't be in your house so it would be hard to force him not to drink. If you are concerned he will take it too far and get totally wasted maybe a cruise isn't the best choice right now. If he wants to he will get alcohol on the cruise and that as we all know can be a dangerous situation also if he goes to extreme.

If you trust him at home then there should be no reason to not to trust him on vaca. I do however disagree if he's 18 and you haven't kept a constant eye he's drank before. Believe it or not, not everyone does it. LOL

I don't know which port you are going to but I do know that in Nassau you can drink at 18 and even younger. People were not having problems getting drinks at Senor Frogs I know - and I never saw anyone asking for id's.

Ok, unless you have watched your son every minute of every day, at 18, he has already had a drink or two. I would think that this would be a great educational time. Find a nice sidewalk bar and have a drink with your son. Teach him that having a glass of wine with dinner or a beer with his friends watching their favorite team is fine. Either on the island or on the ship, continue your talks, people watch, discuss what happens when someone has to much to drink.

If there is an alcohol problem that runs in you family, then that's a different type of talk.

At 18, he is old enough to vote or die for his country. Let him have a drink where he is of legal age.

I have to say that when I was 18 I had never had a drink before. So, it is possible that he hasn't either. My parents took me on a cruise for my 20th birthday. Back then we were allowed to drink on the ship at 18. I drank in front of them, and very responsibly. I do believe that if you have parents who talk to their children about right and wrong that children will make wise choices.

Archived