Curfew For Overnight Docking?

LovesSicily

My husband and I are booked on Insignia's June 5, 2010 sailing from Venice to Rome. The ship has an overnight in Venice with a port departure later the next day. We were wondering and kind of laughing about a curfew (and it's been some time since either one of us has had to experience that!) as far as how late Oceania allows passengers to be out before they must be back on the ship that first night. As a caveat: at our age it's more a matter of curiosity than any plan to be out cruising the canals until the wee hours!

Thanks.

I think I understood the question...The choice of the word "curfew" might throw some folks off...

I have stayed at small inns and pensiones in Europe where the owners tell you that you must be in by a certain hour--because all of the staff will have gone home or gone to bed and the front door is locked...

I don't believe the ship has that problem, BUT...

...It may be impractical to return to the ship after some specific late hour...

Remember, the ship is docked in what may be considered a difficult to reach location...Vaporetti only get you to Piazzale Roma and you likely need transportation from there to the ship. If I read the Vaporetti schedule correctly, the #1 line, down the Grand Canal, makes its last run of the day stopping at P. Roma at 11:41 pm...The ship's shuttles likely stop running at some hour as well...It may be difficult to find a taxi or water taxi at that hour...

Trust me...when I was a 21 year old college student, I went drinking with buddies late into the night in Venice and had to walk clear across town from San Marco to the RR station area after midnight and it was all pretty eerie and quiet...

So, basically, though I am sure they will let you onto the ship at any hour, I would check with the ship as to the last PRACTICAL time to make it back...

On the May 2nd Venice to Rome cruise no curfew was announced to us, at least not that we know of. As BruinSteve said, it might be a more practical matter of what can get you back besides just hoofing it. We were docked at San Basilio which gave us a few more options. Not sure if the port authority ever closed that night or not.

Yes, half kidding, that's why I indicated that my husband and I were laughing about the question. But, Bruin Steve was correct in understanding the informational side of the question. Thanks to both Bruin Steve and parmalee for their responses. You can read all the guide books you want but when it comes to practical information from people who have been there, done that, it can't be beat. That is one of the great things about CC. This is by no means our first or last visit to Italy but it is our first to Venice and I'm since I'm the detail planner for our trips I'll risk my ego to ask the silly questions.

Archived