Labadee-Need Watershoes?

#1TravelMom

I don't konw that you need them, but we always take them for walking as the sand can get hot and there are pebbles, etc., away from the beach. Depends I guess on how tough your feet are! I do know that if you are going on the Dragons Breath zip line you need shoes of some sort - and the watershoes qualify for that. I would certainly recommend them - or an old pair of sneakers or similar - and not go barefoot.

I just wear flip-flops to the beach...in the water, we've never needed any shoes, but we really don't venture off the "beach" area, which is sandy. You can't wear flip-flops into the water tho, they're just for getting back and forth to the tender.

We are not doing the zip line, but we are walking to Dragon's Breath. We just planned of wearing flip flops. The post I saw said that you needed water shoes because the beach was rocky???

No - the area in between the two beaches can be hard, small pebbles, etc. along with the sand. It's more of a natural area. You should be fine with flip flops. Dragons Breath has paths but is rocky and can be uneven underfoot - especially if you venture onto the rocks at all. But it is beautiful and well worth visiting - right at the far end of the penninsula. That is also where the zip line ends! Maybe you'll have a change of heart and try it!

Get off the ship early to claim your spot at the beach! The best ones in our experience are on the cove-side facing the ship. Calm and very pleasent. Enjoy! Labadee is one of our favorite places, having been there a number of times - and again next March.

The best beach is the one facing the ship very near the landing point. However, it is small and gets filled. So you will probably go to the other side, which faces the open ocean. There the beach has lot of stones even in the water and i'd highly recommend water shoes.

We didn't want to sit on the beach that faces the ship because of the construction of the pier. The beach that faces the zip line is filled with coral and you definitely need water shoes. My DH took off his water shoes while sitting in the chair and cut his foot on a piece of coral in the sand.

• 1 month later...
I read an earlier post recommending watershoes for Labadee Beaches. Any recent visitors - do we really need to pack watershoes?

Yes, I recommend watershoes at Labadee. The beach itself is pretty sandy. But, there is a lot of coral and rock if you venture into the water, especially on the shoreline that the zipline is on. We spent the day on the waterfront there; had a great time, but I was glad that we brought the watershoes with us!

-bill

• 2 months later...

You definitely need water shoes. My teenage son just lightly scraped his toe on a piece of coral on the sandy bottom at hideaway beach (not the rocky side, but the sandy side) and his toe felt like it was on fire for hours. While at the first aid station, we met at least five people that had stepped on sea urchins and had spines in their feet--- one of which had to have the doctor onboard remove them and later got an infection. It is hard sometimes to see them in the water. Better to have the water shoes. I think we were just lucky all the other times that we didn't use water shoes. I have now heard of many that have stepped on things and have been injured.

• 2 weeks later...

We buy our water shoes every year after Christmas at the one and only WallMart.

They last for the next summer, and where-ever we travel we always leave them on the beach so we don't have to take up valuable luggage space on the way home.

We have left our water shoes on Cozumel, Waikiki beach, but, I am sure they were thrown away on Castaway Cay, if you could afford a Disney cruise, you don't need to mooch water shoes.

Safe travels.

Archived