Stories of outrageous requests

I agree that most non-drunk Americans are very pleasant, indeed. However, where I come from (Vancouver, BC), it is customary to tip according to quality of service provided. While I acknowledge that it is different for the multi-national servers aboard cruise ships (they work mainly for tips, I believe), I have to say that I am appalled at the custom of tipping for absolutely everything. If I get bad service, I tip accordingly. If I get service that goes above and beyond, my server will be rewarded.

Tipping according to service is the way Americans are SUPPOSED to tip as well.

But this is NOT a tipping thread, THERE ARE WAY TOOOO MANY TIPPING THREADS RUNNING NOW!!!

This is an unusual request thread.

I can understand why the stewards have a negative attitude towards the passengers. They come from poor countries to work and expect that they are going to be treated like servants. Most cabins steards I have seen have been happy, cheerful, and very pleasant. I can see how it can escalate and they drop the "Ugly American" term when they have that passenger from HELL. Thankfully I am Canadian and as Canadians we are peacekeepers and generally, not ugly--unless your a stressed out Ontario resident from Toronto.

I have had ONE cabin steward that was a little on the no-so pleasant side. He did his job like a true ninja--in and out. I rarely ever saw him. I've had amazing room stewards om the Conquest, Liberty, Valor, and a repeat room stewart on the Freedom (I really tipped her well!!!). Three of the four were young women in their 20's and one was a man. Jose was amazing! He hunted high and low to find me a towel when towels were at a premium. I had the same steward on the Liberty and Freedom--she was always in a good mood and willing to chat!!!! She was tipped VERY well!

I guess I have been lucky to have cabin stewards that are happy and want to make the passengers time the best possible....

TRUE STORY: We were on our honeymoon cruise in the Southern Med in 1989. There were four other honeymoon couples on the 10 day cruise and we all hung out together. One couple had the penthouse suite. He was a ga-zillionaire from Southern California.

One night -- after much drinking -- our penthouse suite guy calls down to purser and asks for a piano to be delivered to his room. He wanted to play the piano for everyone. The purser offered to open the now closed piano bar so he could play -- but our drunk ga-zillionaire demanded a piano be brought to his suite.

It took much effor from the less intoxicated amongst us to convince him his request would not be granted!

Archived