what frequency does the cruise ship use?

mafig

• 2 months later...

99% of all Cellular in the USA is now digital, so even if the Scanner was modified it won't be able to decode the Cellular transmissions

You see above where it says (excluding cellular), all of these scanners can be modified to open all freqs including the Cellular freqs so you can hear people chatting on their Cell phones too. :D

Fred

As mentioned by one Poster, the VHF Marine channels [can be too much to listen to IN Port, if busy] are used for ship-ship, Pilots, Air-Evac ! and Coast Guard communications.

If you are going to program the scanner for the VHF Marine channels, also look for a list of International VHF channels, not just the USA Channels.

Additionally, the Ships themselves employ a UHF Radio system [1, 2, some 4 Repeater channels with some using 16 channels] and Disney uses an 800 Trunked system.

Much of the information is available at my home page http://scanmaritime.com We always appreciate new Cruise Ship information

DH is thinking of bringing a little radio with us.

He want to know if anyone knows:

what frequency the cruise ship uses to communicate with port, the pilot boat, and other ships?

Anyone know?

Do the ships communcate with the ports with their own languages? French, Dutch, etc.... I doubt that they all choose English to communcate by. Anyone know?

All communication on the bridge is required to be done in English. I would imagine the same is required for off ship communication.

The same is true with airlines.

Dave

English is the Common travel [Aircraft / Ships] language, altho for some of the Crew [including Captains] it's broken english, you should be able to understand them on the VHF Marine channels.

If you listen to the UHF On-Board channels, well.... you milage will vary :)

Do the ships communcate with the ports with their own languages? French, Dutch, etc.... I doubt that they all choose English to communcate by. Anyone know?

Well, you do need permission in each of the foreign Countries.

Bermuda has a nice process [e-mail, Fax or walk-in]

Don't think any type of ham radio is allowed on the cruise - definitely in the contract and big signs when boarding and debarking in the different ports!!!

Archived