Bringing booze on board the Ruby, sure why not!

STLPilot

YES you would have to follow MY RULES, its not about the money, its about INTEGRITY. By the way you are defending your act so loudly, I can see this is a REAL issue for you, you seem quite adept at this kind of defense. Go get help.

Funny but how many times does that cruise director say "it's your ship" during the cruise?

Integrity would be someone who is responsible for a boat to enforcing their rules. Not create a policy that keeps one eye closed and charge a cork fee so they can make more money off a rule they don't enforce.

When Princess utilizes their own integrity, I'll be more than happy to give them the courtesy they deserve.

Defending my act of open honesty? I'm just surprised that not a single person in the thread said they don't bring or consume ANY self brought alcohol on the boat. Instead they beat the system by simply hiding it behind the cruise's back. Question ... are you one of them Mr./Mrs. Integrity?

Integrity would be someone who is responsible for a boat to enforcing their rules. Not create a policy that keeps one eye closed and charge a cork fee so they can make more money off a rule they don't enforce.

When Princess utilizes their own integrity, I'll be more than happy to give them the courtesy they deserve.

Defending my act of open honesty? I'm just surprised that not a single person in the thread said they don't bring or consume ANY self brought alcohol on the boat. Instead they beat the system by simply hiding it behind the cruise's back. Question ... are you one of them Mr./Mrs. Integrity?

You keep resorting to the position that Princess is hypocritical by taking a position that it does not allow people to bring alcohol on board, but charging a corkage fee. No hypocrisy there. Princess policy does allow people to bring wine on board (I think it is supposed to be limited to one bottle per passenger). If you do, and you consume it in the dining room, they charge a corkage fee. I have brought a bottle of champagne on board in the past and had it in my room. Satisfied to have Princess' wines with meals and am willing to pay for wine and other drinks that I may have.

Personally, I find it kind of immature and childish to brag about bringing excessive amounts of alcohol on board (25 bottles at embarkation and at least 3 at each port), stating that you will double it next time and encouraging others to push the limits--seems like bragging and excessive to me.

Why is it when someone post something we don't like or care for we can't ignore it. I am sadden NOT angered by the OP use of alcohol. That amount is bad for you liver, even if he bought it at the bar or was staying at a resort where alcohol was provided. Many are concern that his big bad behavior is going to interfere with their smaller indiscretion. Discrete doesn't make it right, it makes it sneaky, underhanded and still WRONG!

I do have a bigger problem that people who post things we don't like are considered a TROLL. If the OP did not return it would then justify the use and when he does he is flamed. Now, do some of you understand why many non-troll don't return after saying their piece. Here is an idea, why don't we all STOP doing it and ignore people's experience we don't care for. I can get my fix at a resort in a few weeks, top shelf and all:p

To OP- one word : LIVER

two letters: AA

Yeah: saw the pics so my eyes have behold the bottles. I thought you were lying so I was wrong.

jff, where does princess say you can bring 1 bottle of wine on the boat to consume? My contract said 0. This is yet another misconception and rumor which I was mislead in the first place.

And in regards to the amount? Well we were a group of 10 people, sometimes as many as 20. I'm not a drunk, but I am an adventurer. I drink maybe once a month when I'm not on vacation.

Bragging? No, I just don't need to hide in a closet to enjoy myself. No offense.

where does princess say you can bring 1 bottle of wine on the boat to consume? My contract said 0. This is yet another misconception and rumor which I was mislead in the first place.

In the passenger contract online, and in the contract sent to you is where it is stated. The contract sent to you with your pre-cruise documents state one (1) bottle of wine or champagne per person. ;)

"Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption. You must surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s restaurants."

http://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/index.jsp

jff, where does princess say you can bring 1 bottle of wine on the boat to consume? My contract said 0. This is yet another misconception and rumor which I was mislead in the first place.

And in regards to the amount? Well we were a group of 10 people, sometimes as many as 20. I'm not a drunk, but I am an adventurer. I drink maybe once a month when I'm not on vacation.

Bragging? No, I just don't need to hide in a closet to enjoy myself. No offense.

In your cruise contract item 5, 2nd paragraph, 3rd line, 3rd sentence.

It reads: Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverage of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption:p

The way I read it you can bring enough wine and champagne to fill the boat. And you only have to surrender "duty free" alcohol on the boat, just like the bartender explained to me.

You must surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last day of the voyage.

But what I can't find is the paragraph that says you can be sneaky and mix the drinks in your room. Where is that clause? But then again the one that doesn't hide behind the captains back is the one without integrity.

Cruising sure has changed over the years. I remember when enjoying a cocktail or two with friends was great fun on a cruise. But lately, it seems we have run into more passengers that are just onboard for an 'expensive drunk' cruise then anything else.

Although I enjoy the freedom of legally bringing on a couple of bottles of wine on Princess cruises, if this sort of thing keeps up, with dozens of smuggled bottles of booze, and being so bold as to carry them to mix their own drinks in different areas of the ship, Princess can change the rules at any time IMHO.

But then again, if this sort of smuggling continues, it won't be long before we won't have a choice, Princess will be confiscating smuggled booze (and even wine or champagne) from carry ons, and x-raying luggage and calling those down to 'claim' their bags and removing the banned items, when attempting this, and it will soon go the way of many other cruise lines.

The old 'give em an inch and they will take a mile' will change the rules for everyone, if this sort of behavior continues.

Is it a different class of passenger now? Or is it just a 'sign of the times'? We all have our own opinion I guess which better describes it. IMHO!

Cruising sure has changed over the years. I remember when enjoying a cocktail or two with friends was great fun on a cruise. But lately, it seems we have run into more passengers that are just onboard for an 'expensive drunk' cruise then anything else.

Although I enjoy the freedom of legally bringing on a couple of bottles of wine on Princess cruises, if this sort of thing keeps up, with dozens of smuggled bottles of booze, and being so bold as to carry them to mix their own drinks in different areas of the ship, Princess can change the rules at any time IMHO.

But then again, if this sort of smuggling continues, it won't be long before we won't have a choice, Princess will be confiscating smuggled booze (and even wine or champagne) from carry ons, and x-raying luggage and calling those down to 'claim' their bags and removing the banned items, when attempting this, and it will soon go the way of many other cruise lines.

The old 'give em an inch and they will take a mile' will change the rules for everyone, if this sort of behavior continues.

Is it a different class of passenger now? Or is it just a 'sign of the times'? We all have our own opinion I guess which better describes it. IMHO!

How can we assume this? How do you know that allowing people to bring more booze onto the boats won't encourage customers to come back. Now that I understand Princess' policy more clearly, I can't wait to go back for a 2nd round! Sorry this bothered so many people, next time I'll just make something up, not to bother those that prefer to sneak around the system instead of simply facing it head on.

Cheers!

Also everyones bag is xrayed each and every time you get on a boat. Also I never consumed more than a couple bottles myself. I told you there were

I do not believe this story either. This person has no self esteem and is looking for attention. If the story is true I thought the person was rude to make people wait on them and then brag about it. GROW UP.

I agree with you. We do bring wine to enjoy on our balcony but would never take it out on the deck, let alone ask for ice and glasses and pour it in front of everyone. Luckily this is the only person I have head of doing this. We have never seen this done either. If more did this then surely the ability to bring a small amount of our own alcohol would disappear. I also think this OP was overlooked the first time - maybe not so lucky the next??

>>Is it a different class of passenger now? Or is it just a 'sign of the times'? We all have our own opinion I guess which better describes it. IMHO! <<

I think it is a different class of passenger now. Remember, when flying, you used to dress up and make it a true adventure? Now people come on in short shorts, tanks, and enough food to feed the entire plane. Granted some of this is due to new regulations and such....but some people just don't take pride in themselves. I remember picking up a friend and her daughter and dying of embarrassment because her daughter (who is no skinny minnie) wasn't wearing a bra and it definitely showed.

To the OP

First, your statement that you are going to bring twice as much liquor the next time is disturbing. You are blantantly disobeying rules and it sounds like you have a much larger problem than sneaking that amount of liquor on board.

Second, I hope other Princess cruisers don't start following your trend. I don't want Princess to turn into Carnival party ships.

Third, why do you even need to "sneak" the liquor on board? According to you, Princess doesn't care, so please carry cases onboard (without hiding them) so we know who to avoid.

Thank you

First - The rules say I can bring as much liquor and wine on the boat as I like, less duty free. Consuming is another thing. So far not a single person has admitted to following the rule, everyone has simply said they just hide it in their room. Sorry, I'm just not that sneaky.

Second - I look forward to another Princess cruise and hope that the crowd gets even younger by the time I get there. Each nite in the clubs the crowd kept getting smaller and smaller. By the last nite only the 21-25 year olds could hold up.

Third - Who ever said I sneaked anything? I brought bags filled with liquor and every bag was scanned. As a pilot, I know exactly what they are looking at when those bottles go through. They can see the bottles as clearly as they were right in front of their faces. In fact even better as they can literally see through the bottles, something our eyes can't do.

Party on!

Crikey and I feel guilty about bringing on board all the way from Australia a 2 litre cask (wine box) of Aussie wine for the cabin fridge! As I said before..respect the alcohol policy and just bring on a couple of bottles of vino at embarkation and at each port. We have got 18 ports in 27 days on our B2B on Crown starting next week, so two bottles at each port will be 36 bottles of vino..STLPilot would you be happy with that? 36 bottles of wine is a lot of wine in 27 days, well ample for me anyway. Probably leave a few for the cabin steward.

Crikey and I feel guilty about bringing on board all the way from Australia a 2 litre cask (wine box) of Aussie wine for the cabin fridge! As I said before..respect the alcohol policy and just bring on a couple of bottles of vino at embarkation and at each port. We have got 18 ports in 27 days on our B2B on Crown starting next week, so two bottles at each port will be 36 bottles of vino..STLPilot would you be happy with that? 36 bottles of wine is a lot of wine in 27 days, well ample for me anyway. Probably leave a few for the cabin steward.
I don't know Les, bringing booze on the boat makes you somewhat popular, all of a sudden you have a lot of friends. But luckily the more friends you make on the boat, the money you'll save teaming up on self guided excursions. So it all works out in the end.

I don't know Les, bringing booze on the boat makes you somewhat popular, all of a sudden you have a lot of friends. But luckily the more friends you make on the boat, the money you'll save teaming up on self guided excursions. So it all works out in the end.

Right on STLPILOT..the more BYO booze you drink on board, the more you save, that is my theory anyway. Will be interesting to see on Crown next week how much booze gets on board via the pax. Sharing the booze around to make friends and team up for tours to save money sounds a good idea...I might double up on the vino.

Arriverderici

Archived