Bringing booze on board the Ruby, sure why not!

STLPilot

Just sailed VNC to BCN and had great time. In total I brought about 25 bottles of wine and liquor on the boat. Never came in from port without at least 3 bottles of something. Kept in backpack wrapped in hand towels from the room. Nobody ever asked to look in my bags or take my booze. When we were in Skywalkers niteclub we were mixing drinks and waiter never said a word. When we opened bottles in DaVinci's or any other restaurant, even the buffet, we were never charged a cork fee. When we had some wine on the promenade deck to watch sunset the deck hands would smile as they passed by. When in Jacuzzi waiters would bring us empty glasses to fill with our wine. Heck on Italian nite when they came around with the Limoncello special, we already had our own on the table, waiter just smiled and moved on.

Best tip, bring booze on, just don't raise the flags too high, but don't be afraid to push the limits just a tad. Have fun!

Well , I'm happy it worked out for you, but in my opinion, behavior this flagrant will result in much, much stricter policies re bringing liquor onboard, like they have on NCL (Naughty Room, anyone?). For other cruisers, my suggestion would be to be a little more discreet and at least pour it in your cabin. And by the way, we bring a good amount of wine onboard every trip so we are not against this by any means!

Stricter policies, maybe, but certainly not until we are out of the recession and that will prolly be years. Princess needs to fill 17 boats every day of the year whilst the economy keeps getting worst. I say have fun while you can. If Princess didn't want us to drink on the boat, they would have told us likewise, not even a warning or a peep about opening our own bottles, heck man, we were encouraged.

Well , I'm happy it worked out for you, but in my opinion, behavior this flagrant will result in much, much stricter policies re bringing liquor onboard, like they have on NCL (Naughty Room, anyone?). For other cruisers, my suggestion would be to be a little more discreet and at least pour it in your cabin. And by the way, we bring a good amount of wine onboard every trip so we are not against this by any means!

I agree. Blatant breaking rules and flaunting is a mistake. I can see something for a relaxing drink in your cabin but it should go no further.

That's only two a day! If they were playing Quarters they could do that in like an hour (Tounge planted firmly in cheek :p)

Does anyone here think that the OP might be putting us all on? Can't imagine the bars and restaurants just letting them hammer back their own hooch.

Yes I reckon if pax flog to death the Princess generous concession of bringing onboard a couple of bottles of wine, i.e. go way over the limit, it will eventually kill the concession. I would like the Princess alcohol police at the gangway to restrict those who go WAY over the limit, not talking about a couple of bottles of wine each and a six pack of local beer, but cartons of wine and bottles of spirits, blatantly consumed around the ship? C'mon, a little decorum in the forum!

Nice try but I am NOT buying it. Of course you know this will get people going. When bad behaviour is involved one can always count on someone on Princess board mentioning Carnival:rolleyes: I wouldn't want this kind of behaviour on any ship even if you were buying the booze at the bar. I am about to become a stockholder, not in Princess but CARNIVAL CORPORATION

However if by some freak of nature this is true:

These are the original Twelve Steps as published by Alcoholics Anonymous:[10]

1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.
  2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
  3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
  4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
  5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
  6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
  7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
  8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
  9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
  10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
  11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His Will for us and the power to carry that out.
  12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

Good Luck, I think you are gonna need it or at least your liver!

BTW, how was the cruise or what you recall of it. With all this drinking when did you find time to eat? Do you have any pics?

We brought a small amount of liquor aboard on our most recent cruise and

were mixing Pina Coladas (with Coco loco and pineapple juice).

However, we were very respectful about what we were doing because

we realized that it was against ship policy. We kept our practices to

our room and walked around the ship with mugs that concealed what

we had in them.

If you publicly show the amount of alcohol you have brought aboard

and start mixing drinks in front of other passengers what is absolutely

going to happen is that Princess is going to enforce stricter policies that

will prohibit what to date we have been able to get away with.

I am one that is all for liquor being brought aboard if it is done so

quietly. However, I think bounds have been overstepped when other

passengers and crew have to see policy abusive behavior displayed

in front of them.

One more thing that I noted before....

If Princess didn't charge slightly higher prices for drinks that were

watered down, I think more people would forego bringing their own

aboard. When we pay close to $10 for a tropical drink that has a

lower alcohol percentage then what you would get in a regular bar,

it becomes more tempting to look for other alternatives. Alcohol

should be the one area that Princess should concentrate on making

more affordable if they want to boost sales.

Doesn't Carnival own Princess??

Don't see a problem bringing booze on board but really doubt they would let you openly drink it around the ship in public areas? Real wine glasses in the hot tubs?? This is not something I would be boasting about.

Just sailed VNC to BCN and had great time. In total I brought about 25 bottles of wine and liquor on the boat. Never came in from port without at least 3 bottles of something. Kept in backpack wrapped in hand towels from the room. Nobody ever asked to look in my bags or take my booze. When we were in Skywalkers niteclub we were mixing drinks and waiter never said a word. When we opened bottles in DaVinci's or any other restaurant, even the buffet, we were never charged a cork fee. When we had some wine on the promenade deck to watch sunset the deck hands would smile as they passed by. When in Jacuzzi waiters would bring us empty glasses to fill with our wine. Heck on Italian nite when they came around with the Limoncello special, we already had our own on the table, waiter just smiled and moved on.

Best tip, bring booze on, just don't raise the flags too high, but don't be afraid to push the limits just a tad. Have fun!

Hope they were 'plastic' glasses - I would have thought glasses in the jacuzzi is a definite "no-no". Glass and jacuzzis or swimming pools certainly DO NOT mix.

As to all that alcohol - did they have to pour you off the ship? We only took one bottle into a restaurant on Ruby and that was into Sabatinis. We had had an 'accident' in getting the cork out of a nice bottle of red in our cabin and our steward had sorted it out. We wanted to drink it before it spoiled and so took it into Sabatinis. Not charged corkage but then it was already 'uncorked':D

We were on the Ruby, bought wine in several ports. Took it to the diningroom, never were charged corking fees, even though we were expecting to be charged. We did buy wine in the diningroom as well.

Hope they were 'plastic' glasses - I would have thought glasses in the jacuzzi is a definite "no-no". Glass and jacuzzis or swimming pools certainly DO NOT mix.

As to all that alcohol - did they have to pour you off the ship? We only took one bottle into a restaurant on Ruby and that was into Sabatinis. We had had an 'accident' in getting the cork out of a nice bottle of red in our cabin and our steward had sorted it out. We wanted to drink it before it spoiled and so took it into Sabatinis. Not charged corkage but then it was already 'uncorked':D

Yes, they brought us plastic wine glasses in the jacuzzi, again, they brought them to us and saw the wine we had. When we had our wine in the restaurants, they opened it for us without a cork fee. Mixing drinks in the clubs, waiters not only got us empty cups, but kept the ice moving as well.

I'm not here to start trouble, I'm just telling it the way it was on board, that's it. What I read here on the board and what I found out on the boat were completely different. They do no check bags and they for the most part help and encourage you enjoy your own booze on board.

Gosh I hoped you tipped the staff that took care of you since they weren't getting their 15% gratuity. That's what I would call "extra service " or "above and beyond" worthy of a tip.

Like anything, all things in moderation. At least for me. If someone wants to drink through their entire cruise, go for it...provided that they don't ruin anyone else's enjoyment of their vacation. We choose to cruise Princess because we find it a pretty classy line...sure there are people drinking and enjoying themselves but I rarely see anyone acting obnoxiously. We brought liquor onboard with us as well...it stayed in the fridge in the room for the most part...there was an occasion or two where I brought a little rum with me in a water bottle outside the room to add to my Coke. I did this because I like this certain type of flavored rum (not available onboard) and my rum and Coke cocktails are yummy! We didn't drink to get plastered, just for enjoyment because we were on vacation. Princess certainly still made $$ on us through wine purchases in the dining rooms and various rounds of beer, mixed drinks, etc. through the week. And we are certainly going to be repeat cruisers with them as well due to their reasonable attitudes and great service.

If everyone was reasonable about the alcohol they brought onboard, I think Princess wouldn't mind continuing to look the other way for the most part. If people start to flaunt it, yes...they will probably start to crack down.

I'm not here to start trouble, I'm just telling it the way it was on board, that's it. What I read here on the board and what I found out on the boat were completely different. They do no check bags and they for the most part help and encourage you enjoy your own booze on board.

Taking advantage of the staff who CAN NOT tell you that they won't bring you ice etc. is not Princess helping and encouraging you to bring booze on board. You just took advantage of the crew and that is not behavior to brag about.

The only two cruise lines I sail is RCCL and PRINCESS, though it seems

my loyalty has gone exclusively to PRINCESS.

The #1 reason why I stay with these lines is because they are more

tolerant of having liquor brought onboard.

All we need is people to start abusing that privilege by openly showing

everyone what they have and everything will be ruined for the rest of us.

All I ask, to everyone, is that if you bring liquor aboard be discreet

about it, please. Many of us do it, and we want to continue doing it.

Archived