Booked in Canadian with Princess can I switch to US?

Cruise Junky

With our Dollar rising rapidly, I'd save some money if I switched our coastal to US$ (The Mexican Riviera was booked with a Canadian FCC, so not worth switching). I'm booked directly with Princess, will they let me switch currencies? I don't want to cancel and rebook as I want to keep my aft corner cabin. It's not fully paid yet.

I tried it once and they told me "no". If I were you I'd give them a call, I did not pursue it much, but next time I sure will try again. Nice to see our dollar climb again

I tried it once and they told me "no". If I were you I'd give them a call, I did not pursue it much, but next time I sure will try again. Nice to see our dollar climb again

Very nice to see our $$ climb. It's not a huge dollar difference right now as I booked it when Princess was offering the Canadian Dollar at par, but I was curious to see if they would switch it. I wonder if I could just transfer it to a TA that would switch it.

Very nice to see our $$ climb. It's not a huge dollar difference right now as I booked it when Princess was offering the Canadian Dollar at par, but I was curious to see if they would switch it. I wonder if I could just transfer it to a TA that would switch it.

If you booked at par would it really make a difference???? Since our dollar started dropping I recently canceled a cruise which was booked in US $'s. It would have cost about one third more to pay that US fare when the final was due. Now, of course, things are starting to look brighter, but for how long??? Makes it a challenge to get "a deal". I like to plan way ahead and if the dollar gets even better, I may just pay our Fall cruise before the final. Most of our sailings are 30plus days, so the fares are not a couple of thousand dollars. Anyway, happy sailings ...............................................................

I tried to convert to US currency before and Princess told me that they are able to do it, but they would have to cancel and rebook the cabin. I was told that I would get to keep the same cabin, but when I had booked back in Feb it was to take advantage of the 2for1 Alaskan cruise. Because that deal had now expired I would have to rebook at the current price (which ended up being way more expensive). So as long as you didn't book during a promo you should be able to convert and take advantage of the currency exchange.

Why would you want to change an at par booking? You are actually saving money by leaving it as is. The dollar will have to go up another 12 or so cents for the banks to give par exchange, and then go up more than that to make it worth your while. You would need all that to happen in the next month when your final payment is due.

Why would you want to change an at par booking? You are actually saving money by leaving it as is. The dollar will have to go up another 12 or so cents for the banks to give par exchange, and then go up more than that to make it worth your while. You would need all that to happen in the next month when your final payment is due.

Because the price has dropped in US below what I paid when it was at par - even below converting it to Canadian. I don't understand how you can make a statement that I would save money when you have absolutely no idea what I paid in the first place and what the current US price is.

Transfer your booking to a TA and no problem to switch currency back and forth. I too booked in CAD funds. The rates are much higher in CAD dollars. I'm not sure what I am going to do yet. I am a while from final payment.

Cruise Junky - We have booked our cruise with a US TA and it cost us $3200. US for Cat BA - Our friends booked with a CA TA (their daughter) and they are paying $4400. Cdn for Cat BA - at the time we booked they thought with the exchange it wasn't worth taking the booking from their daughter. With the rise in the Cdn. dollar I think they are considering changing to our US agent as we will buy all our $$ once we think the dollar has peaked.

Cruise Junky - We have booked our cruise with a US TA and it cost us $3200. US for Cat BA - Our friends booked with a CA TA (their daughter) and they are paying $4400. Cdn for Cat BA - at the time we booked they thought with the exchange it wasn't worth taking the booking from their daughter. With the rise in the Cdn. dollar I think they are considering changing to our US agent as we will buy all our $$ once we think the dollar has peaked.

Ouch, that's a big difference! We wouldn't save too much maybe 10% switching it (it's only a coastal) and I certainly don't want to risk losing my cabin, so I might let this one go, but I'm certainly glad our TA next year is booked in US.

Because the price has dropped in US below what I paid when it was at par - even below converting it to Canadian. I don't understand how you can make a statement that I would save money when you have absolutely no idea what I paid in the first place and what the current US price is.

Because you didn't provide any of that info in your original post, that's why I can make that statement.

Because you didn't provide any of that info in your original post, that's why I can make that statement.

Why would I? I can do math, I know what saves me money. You jumped to conclusions that I didn't know what I was doing.

It's all coming back to me now. I would have thought you would have learned the last time the dollar was going up. Now it makes sense. It wasn't too much of a jump I needed to make. LOL You thought you pulled one over on them when they still took CDN dollar at par bookings even when the dollar was falling, and you still aren't happy. This is actually funny.

It's all coming back to me now. I would have thought you would have learned the last time the dollar was going up. Now it makes sense. It wasn't too much of a jump I needed to make. LOL You thought you pulled one over on them when they still took CDN dollar at par bookings even when the dollar was falling, and you still aren't happy. This is actually funny.

I think you're confusing me with someone else :rolleyes: And can you point out where I'm not happy? I asked a question, I'm sure there's other people out there that would want to know.

You can switch currencies but I suspect that is may involve canceling and rebooking; that said I think a lot depends upon how much biz your TA does with Princess, we did pull it off last fall when we threatened not to make final on a Jan cruise unless they re-booked in CDN at the rate it was when we booked the cruise.

I know where you are coming from though, the last information I had was that Princess was charging a 25% exchange rate when the rate was closer to 10%. We have booked our little junket in Sept in US and so far we are doing just fine and have our Jan cruise booked in CDN when the dollar was at par and so far I can't get a US or US$ quote that can beat the price we have. As a side bar Princess claims that you can't change your FCCs between currencies however our TA says that is nonsense, he does it all the time and we have done in within the past 6 mos.

Just a heads up to any Canadians that booked at Par. Phone Princess to see if you can get a price drop if the US price has gone down. We were very, very pleasantly surprised today that our cruise dropped to the current US rate rather than the US rate + 25% Canadian Exchange. We saved about 30% this morning on our two cruises in September. I couldn't have gotten this from the website, only by phoning or contacting your TA.

Cruise Junky

You made the statement 'I know what saves me money' so please don't take this too personally when I point out that by booking direct with Princess (regardless of the currency you used) you most likely greatly overpaid

If you didn't already know there are imense savings to be had off the direct princess price by not booking direct

In my exp way more than what you get back on a price drop, two, or even three

Since you feel when you booked the price was at par you did great but generally since I always use an American TA I book everything in USD anyway of which luck will have it I've laways caught the wave and saved megabucks on USD dollar drop(s)

Of course I realize it's rolling the dice and can go the other way

Enjoy your cruise

jc

Cruise Junky

You made the statement 'I know what saves me money' so please don't take this too personally when I point out that by booking direct with Princess (regardless of the currency you used) you most likely greatly overpaid

If you didn't already know there are imense savings to be had off the direct princess price by not booking direct

In my exp way more than what you get back on a price drop, two, or even three

Since you feel when you booked the price was at par you did great but generally since I always use an American TA I book everything in USD anyway of which luck will have it I've laways caught the wave and saved megabucks on USD dollar drop(s)

Of course I realize it's rolling the dice and can go the other way

Enjoy your cruise

jc

I know I overpaid, but I didn't overpay by that much. We have friends that booked the same cruise with a Canadian agent that discounts and because it's a coastal and a 7 day, the difference was around $50. I always use a US online agent, but they couldn't take the Canadian FCC that I had so I bit the bullet and dealt with Princess directly. I have to say though, it's been a very pleasant experience. The whole price drop this morning on both cruises took less than 3 minutes. This is the only time we've booked direct and for the $50 it really wasn't worth shopping for a new agent that could beat the price and take the Canadian FCC.

There is a recent post noting that Princess changed their exchange rates today to $1.15. You may not want to change your booking into US$ if this is the case. You should call your agent and find out what happened to the price of your cruise since Princess made the adjustment.

As an aside unless we can book C$ at par, we always book in US$. I use a US TA and I have never been able to find a better price (and trust me I look).

As an aside unless we can book C$ at par, we always book in US$. I use a US TA and I have never been able to find a better price (and trust me I look).

We did book at Par and what it looks like Princess is doing is continuing to honour that "At Par" booking as our price dropped in Canadian to what it currently is in US. I'm very impressed with Princess. As I said above, we also always use a US TA, except I needed to use a Canadian FCC this time.

All Canadian Travel Agents can book Princess and many of the other Cruise Lines in either US dollars or Canadian Dollars. The choice is the customer's although a good TA will wiegh the "pros and cons" for you.

You do not have to book with an American Travel Agent to do this.

All Canadian Travel Agents can book Princess and many of the other Cruise Lines in either US dollars or Canadian Dollars. The choice is the customer's although a good TA will wiegh the "pros and cons" for you.

You do not have to book with an American Travel Agent to do this.

I never said they couldn't but we had an American TA that we liked using but needed to use a Canadian FCC and didn't feel like shopping around for a new Canadian Agent to not save very much over booking directly with Princess.

I never said they couldn't but we had an American TA that we liked using but needed to use a Canadian FCC and didn't feel like shopping around for a new Canadian Agent to not save very much over booking directly with Princess.

I actually wasnt just replying to you but to anyone who thought they had to book in the US to pay in US dollars. there have been a couple of posts even in different threads that have said just that.

I didnt mean to imply YOU didnt know what YOU were doing:o

I actually wasnt just replying to you but to anyone who thought they had to book in the US to pay in US dollars. there have been a couple of posts even in different threads that have said just that.

I didnt mean to imply YOU didnt know what YOU were doing:o

Sorry, you didn't quote anyone so I thought you were talking to me, but you're quite right, a Canadian TA can book in both. In fact the friends we're going with also have the 4 day alaskan sampler booked before our b2b. The Alaskan one is booked in US the other 2 in Canadian, same agent, reservations all linked.

Archived