afternoon tea

sparkyrmc

[quote name='garigoun']James, speaking of S. African food, we were, were we not? What is the name of that dish they do in a big earthenware pot it's full of a kind of baked fruit and meal if memory serves. S.A. housewives think the world of their ?????? pot.
It's driving me mad that I can't think of it and I've no idea how to google it without a clue as to the name. I had it in Cape Town and Durban long long ago. Maybe Boytje knows what I'm talking about or maybe I'm having one of my funny turns.............
A Puzzled Gari[/quote]

Others have responded with potjie kos; it became popular some time after I left South Africa so I am not all that familiar with it. I was under the impression it is mostly a stew of meat and vegetables.

[quote name='Boytjie']Others have responded with potjie kos; it became popular some time after I left South Africa so I am not all that familiar with it. I was under the impression it is mostly a stew of meat and vegetables.[/quote]

[COLOR=black]Don't think it's all that recent, it's an old Boer dish I was given to believe.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]I'll probably remember it about 3am and forget it again by 8am.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Gari[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]

[quote name='garigoun'][COLOR=black]Don't think it's all that recent, it's an old Boer dish I was given to believe.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]I'll probably remember it about 3am and forget it again by 8am.[/COLOR]
[/quote]

Gari,

I will interrogate the Mem when I get home - she is the repository of all knowledge of SA cuisine. She makes a mean bobootie!

J

[quote name='Cruachan']Gari,

I will interrogate the Mem when I get home - she is the repository of all knowledge of SA cuisine. She makes a mean [SIZE=6]bobootie![/SIZE]

J[/quote]

YAY!!! That's the stuff, remind me what's in it.
An Amnesiac Gari

[quote name='SeaMatesNYC']Sorry, that came across wrong. What just giving J what I meant to be a friendly good morning nod from the left coast.[/quote]

No probs - your nod is reciprocated from the right hand side.

J

:)

[quote name='garigoun'][COLOR=black]Don't think it's all that recent, it's an old Boer dish I was given to believe.[/COLOR]
[/quote]

It is an old Boer tradition but not one I grew up with! It became more popular in the 80's, I believe.

[quote name='Cruachan']Gari,

I will interrogate the Mem when I get home - she is the repository of all knowledge of SA cuisine. She makes a mean bobootie!

J[/quote]

[quote name='garigoun']YAY!!! That's the stuff, remind me what's in it.
An Amnesiac Gari[/quote]

Bobotie would be a dish of mildy curried ground lamb baked in an egg custard with almonds and raisins etc in there too. It may sound strange but it is delisous! it goes well with said Mrs. Ball's Chutney.

[quote name='Boytjie']So she is a When-We! :D[/quote]

That she is! Mind you, I'm getting to be quite handy at the When-we game myself, as in "When we were on the QE2..."

That usually draws howls of derision from all present :)

J

[quote name='Cruachan']That she is! Mind you, I'm getting to be quite handy at the When-we game myself, as in "When we were on the QE2..."

That usually draws howls of derision from all present :)

J[/quote]

And a lot of :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:!

I am not a member of the fashion police, but since the Queens room is very elegant, and the waiters were gloves, it is a standard above the Kings Court, so why wear a swim suit?
Afterall the pools are on decks 13, 12, or deck 8, whilst the Queen Room is on deck 3L, so any one coming from the pools have to also go past the deck that houses their cabins, so going in to their cabin, combing their hair, freshening their makeup and pulling on a dress would take at the most 10 mins.

As for those that say they may wish to go back out to the pools, well as previously suggested, just go into the Kings Court, much nearer the pools.

I must have been born into the wrong century, to me ,afternoon tea in elegant surroundins , is far above a quick slurp in the nearest "caff" or diner.

[quote name='Humpty Dumpty']Pity then the tea doesn't match the surroundings. And the scones - however pronounced - are best avoided.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean tea as in the beverage or tea as in what is eaten and what is wrong with the scones please? (to rhyme with moans)

I thought the scones were fine. I agree that it isn't the best afternoon tea, especially the Savoy. Norfolk Fairmont in nairobi, Kenya do a good one as do most old colonial hotels. I did enjoy it though and had to skip lunch to eat it!

[quote name='Humpty Dumpty']

The scones - not rhyming with cones - are dry, hard and really deeply disappointing. The jam is second rate and the cream, well, is best avoided.

It's a nice occasion, certainly, but if you've had tea at Betty's, or the Savoy, or the like, you'll know that it doesn't make for a first class English tea.

Please don't take this as a recommendation to avoid it - other than the scones - but simply to realise that there is so much more that a really first class tea should be. Take it as a nice occasion, and don't believe the hype.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps we were lucky, but the scones we had on our May crossing were very good: warm and not at all hard or dry. They were better than the scones we had last year on the QE2 which were small and served already sliced with the cream and jam stuffed inside. The tea itself was on the weak side, but we've always found that with Cunard. Being Canadians, we are often mistaken for Americans and given weak tea. (No offence intended to anybody, but from my observations most Canadians like their tea the way most British do.) At the first lunch in our restaurant in May I asked the waitress for strong tea and every time after that she would say: "Here is a pot of strong tea."

[quote name='david,Mississauga']At the first lunch in our restaurant in May I asked the waitress for strong tea and every time after that she would say: "Here is a pot of strong tea."[/quote]

[COLOR=black]Drinking [B]tea[/B] with one's lunch? Whatever next?[/COLOR]

An incredulous Gari.
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]

[quote name='david,Mississauga']Perhaps we were lucky, but the scones we had on our May crossing were very good: warm and not at all hard or dry. They were better than the scones we had last year on the QE2 which were small and served already sliced with the cream and jam stuffed inside. The tea itself was on the weak side, but we've always found that with Cunard. Being Canadians, we are often mistaken for Americans and given weak tea. (No offence intended to anybody, but from my observations most Canadians like their tea the way most British do.) At the first lunch in our restaurant in May I asked the waitress for strong tea and every time after that she would say: "Here is a pot of strong tea."[/quote]
And how do you like your coffee? Couldn't you ask at afternoon tea for strong tea as well?

[quote name='garigoun'][COLOR=black]Drinking [B]tea[/B] with one's lunch? Whatever next?[/COLOR]

An incredulous Gari.
[/quote]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Is beer an acceptable alternative at lunch?
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Ok, Martinis’ then...[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Actually, as a proper “rebel”, what if I don’t like tea at all?
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Would I be allowed in the Queen’s room? :eek:[/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived