visiting churches

I've read that we need to dress conservatively when visiting holy places such as the vatican

so if I wear a sleeveless dress (long),and I take a cardigan with me to cover up . Is that acceptable

If my boys wear long shorts covering their knees is that OK or does it have to be trousers

Thanks for any replies

debs

As long as the knees are fully covered (not just partially) and the shoulders are covered, you're fine. Longer shorts are acceptable, though pants are more appropriate. For your boys, consider getting the zip-off style pants so they can convert from shorts to pants when needed.

As long as the knees are fully covered (not just partially) and the shoulders are covered, you're fine. Longer shorts are acceptable, though pants are more appropriate. For your boys, consider getting the zip-off style pants so they can convert from shorts to pants when needed.

We got these for our boys and they worked great in all the ports where we visited places that required pants.

http://www.rei.com/search?search=zip+off+pants&origin=Google&cat=4500007_Boys+and+Girls&hist=search%2Czip+off+pants%5Ecat%2C4500007_Boys+and+Girls%3ABoys+and+Girls

My dh who lives in shorts bought the convertible pants from Eddie Bauer. They come in several colors and look much dressier than some of the ones from travel/camping stores. He would just zip them on for a church and then unzip them, roll em up and tuck them in the camera bag until he needed them again.

A pashmina or lightweight shawl is very good for covering the shoulders. Our tour guide had a very light weight scarf that she threw over her shoulder just for the church visits. We saw some young adults with paper bags over their shoulders :eek:.

Archived