We had an unpleasant experience in Grand Cayman

One of the passengers drowned off seven mile beach.

The lady was brought ashore where some other passengers tried to revive her for 15 minutes before the paramedics arrived.

It was awful and I felt so sorry for her poor husband who was helpless.

No lifeguard on duty despite there being a lifeguards station.

Very sad day.

http://www.caymannewsservice.com/local-news/2009/06/04/tourist-dies-while-swimming-7mb

Whilst this has become general news across all cruise websites, I thank you for posting this info here, and thank you for not linking your thread header with a ship name. This is clearly a sad day but only linked to cruising by location and the fact the person was a cruise passenger. To many other posts would indicate this very sad situation as being directly associated with the cruise line. Thank you

Whilst this has become general news across all cruise websites, I thank you for posting this info here, and thank you for not linking your thread header with a ship name. This is clearly a sad day but only linked to cruising by location and the fact the person was a cruise passenger. To many other posts would indicate this very sad situation as being directly associated with the cruise line. Thank you

Nothing to do with the ship or cruise line at all.

It was tragic to see it all unfold not 10 feet from our sunbed.

A beautiful day on seven mile beach. People snorkelling, jet skiing and swimming and having a good time and then the horror of a body being dragged ashore.

We [all the passengers] willed her to life as much as we could but after 15 minutes unconcious, no breathing or pulse it was clear that unfortunately her time was up.

We packed away our things and made our way back to the ship white as ghosts.

Very very sad.

I had a similar experience in Tunisia a few years ago where a gentleman nt much older than me had a seizure in the swimming pool and despite efforts to revive him died, literally right by my families sunbed.

The most bizarre part was that there was this general respectful hush around the pool until and ambulance came and took the gentleman away.

Within two minutes it was as if nothing had happened and this poor soul had not existed as everybody went straight back in the pool and continued with their holiday and their life as normal.

At the time I thought that it was incredibly callous, but in retrospect I am not so sure. It is a difficult one.

I had a similar experience in Tunisia a few years ago where a gentleman nt much older than me had a seizure in the swimming pool and despite efforts to revive him died, literally right by my families sunbed.

The most bizarre part was that there was this general respectful hush around the pool until and ambulance came and took the gentleman away.

Within two minutes it was as if nothing had happened and this poor soul had not existed as everybody went straight back in the pool and continued with their holiday and their life as normal.

At the time I thought that it was incredibly callous, but in retrospect I am not so sure. It is a difficult one.

It really is an unpleasant experience and it makes you count your blessings. It also made me think "why haven't I learnt first aid and CPR at the age of 38"?

Well nothing would have changed what happened to the man when I was away.

It is exactly what you said about counting your blessings, and I suppose the general consensus was "Thank goodness its wasn't me" and I need to "live for the day".

Well nothing would have changed what happened to the man when I was away.

It is exactly what you said about counting your blessings, and I suppose the general consensus was "Thank goodness its wasn't me" and I need to "live for the day".

To be honest with you, I took one look at the lady and it made me count my blessings it wasn't my wife rather than myself. The poor husband just stood there in shock. He must have been going through absolute hell. One minute swimming in the Caribbean with your wife the next minute she's gone.

It almost sounds to me as though she may have had a heart attack. The water was not rough or other swimmers would have been having problems. If the woman knew how to swim but was having "problems," it seems to me there might have been other medical conditions coming on. It seems we see a lot of heart attacks on our trips. I'm just speculating, of course.

What a horrible situation for the spouse.

It almost sounds to me as though she may have had a heart attack. The water was not rough or other swimmers would have been having problems. If the woman knew how to swim but was having "problems," it seems to me there might have been other medical conditions coming on. It seems we see a lot of heart attacks on our trips. I'm just speculating, of course.

What a horrible situation for the spouse.

I think a heart attack is a distinct possibility. As you say the water was still and to be honest not particularly deep.

On a completely seperate issue, I did think it was a bit unsafe allowing people who had hired Jet Skis/Waverunners to enter the swimming area. There's an accident waiting to happen there and to be honest a lot of us at first thought she may have been hit by a Jet Ski.

It really is an unpleasant experience and it makes you count your blessings. It also made me think "why haven't I learnt first aid and CPR at the age of 38"?

I can only imagine that this whole incident cast a pallor on the remainder of your vacation.

On a different note, you should call your local hospital to see if they offer a CPR/AED course. My 13yo son and I took a course at our hospital - 3 hour course for $40 each. We are now both certified in CPR and AED's. My son is a Boy Scout and after this week should have passed all his practicals to earn his First Aid badge so he'll be teaching us! I do however remember a couple things from my Girl Scout days - 30+ years ago!!

OMG, What a nightmare, I would be shook up big time and upset. I have done a first aid course many times and would find it hard to do in that situation, even though I would have to, its life and death after all.

St Johns do a great one with all the basics and not too expensive either. I had to do it for work but it would be very handy should one of the family had an incident.

Absolutely everyone should know CPR, but it doesn't always mean there is a good outcome to every situation. I work with a woman who performed CPR on her husband when he collapsed with cardiac arrest, to no avail.

Drowning can happen in a as little as a bucket of water. Anyone can drown, even experienced swimmers. A lifeguard is no guarantee the person can be saved. Last year a woman from a cruise ship drowned in water she could stand up in.

Very sad, very unfortunate and I do feel so sorry for anyone who goes through this, related or not. My sympathies to the family and for the people who witnessed this horrible situation.

I'm missing the need for sidestepping cruiselines, ships and the like. :confused:

This quite surprises me, but also reminds me accidents can happen anywhere. I think 7 Mile Beach was one of the most beautiful places to swim before finding Aruba and Bermuda, other than St. John.

Serves as a reminder to be cautious anywhere, even a place that seems so serene.

Archived