Any Recent Westerdammers?

Pather

With this line of thinking, do you believe that there should be no dress code?

You miss my point, Willsot. :( It isn't about the dress code; it's about so many people being so judgmental regarding how someone *else* is dressed. This, to me, is a total waste of energy. Not to mention, it reminds me of high school.:rolleyes:

Would it also be wrong to question somebody choosing to wear shorts and tank tops in the dining room? What about swimwear or workout clothing right from the fitness center? A swimsuit covered by a HAL robe?

First, it's not your place to question anyone about what they're wearing, but I don't know if you meant "you" personally. Second, you're taking this to the extreme. AFAIK, we're not talking about shorts, swimsuits and workout clothes. That's something altogether different, IMO.

You "couldn't care less what anyone else wears (unless they were in their underwear)." Seriously?

Exactly. I don't know how to say any more plainly that I don't worry about what other people are wearing. I'd much rather be discussing what we saw or did that day over dinner than to be complaining that Joe Blow is wearing jeans in the dining room. How can you not see how trivial and catty that is?

The published dress code for 21 Club in Manhattan: "Jeans and sneakers are not permitted. Jackets are necessary for gentlemen with ties preferred at dinner." Why do you think that they (and other restaurants) choose to perpetuate such archaic ways of thinking?

Help me here, please. What does 21 Club in Manhattan have to do with some guy wearing jeans on a cruise? I would assume it's privately owned and makes its own rules. (It's also in a large, metropolitan city.) HAL's rules leave things open to interpretation. If they had hard and fast rules - and always enforced those rules - this thread would probably not exist. Those with "class" wouldn't have to concern themselves with someone without "class" wearing jeans in the dining room, because the maître d' would have kept them out.

Okay, I miss your point, this isn't about the dress code. I see now.

"HAL's rules leave things open to interpretation. If they had hard and fast rules - and always enforced those rules - this thread would probably not exist."

So it's not about the dress code, but if HAL did have a hard and fast rules and always enforced it, threads such as this wouldn't exist.

Thanks for stating things so plainly. People are judgmental, high school-ish, trivial and catty. That clears it up.

You're entitled to your opinion, as I am entitled to mine. Your post didn't exactly contribute to the discussion, now did it?

I think you are missing RuthC's point. I do not know RuthC but feel her contributions to this board are both positive and informative. Let's try not to attack her personally because she doesn't like what you have started.

Dear HAL cruisers,

I would like to ask another point about smart-casual evenings. I understood that most of you agreed that slacks are a proper way to dress on smart casual evenings in the dining room. Unfortunately I am not really familiar with the definition of slacks as we do not have "slacks" in the German language. When I tried to find slags in the dictionary it told me something like trousers you wear during leisure time. A picture search on google delivered everything from pleat-front trousers to track pants.

So what I would like to know: Would you call a pair of trousers that is cut like a jeans (five pocket style) but made out of a thinner fabric slacks? Or in other words: Is it the fabric that makes slacks or the cut?

Best regards

Arno

Dear HAL cruisers,

I would like to ask another point about smart-casual evenings. I understood that most of you agreed that slacks are a proper way to dress on smart casual evenings in the dining room. Unfortunately I am not really familiar with the definition of slacks as we do not have "slacks" in the German language. When I tried to find slags in the dictionary it told me something like trousers you wear during leisure time. A picture search on google delivered everything from pleat-front trousers to track pants.

So what I would like to know: Would you call a pair of trousers that is cut like a jeans (five pocket style) but made out of a thinner fabric slacks? Or in other words: Is it the fabric that makes slacks or the cut?

Best regards

Arno

That is an interesting question Arno. Definitely the fabric, but some might argue that the cut is also important. We would say that you can't go wrong with trousers either pleated or straight front.

I think you are missing RuthC's point. I do not know RuthC but feel her contributions to this board are both positive and informative. Let's try not to attack her personally because she doesn't like what you have started.

Thank you for your kind words, vino.

I see that TibbieMom is fairly new around here. Perhaps we should give her a pass this time on her poor judgement. It's just not necessary, or productive, to resurrect an old thread for no good purpose.

I'm going to put my two cents in. I think we as Americans need to rethink our 'casual' everything rule. Casual now means sloppy, ill fitting and ugly clothing. I know this is just an opinion and everybody's got one but we used to take pride in our appearance, even when we wore jeans, they were starched. I think the way people dress these days is all the more reason to keep the dress code. It won't ruin my dinner but I certainly wont' feel warm & fuzzy toward anyone in their ragged jeans

Ditto!:(

I will answer any questions you have regarding the Westerdam, not only as a past cruiser on her (7 May 2009) but also as a future cruiser on a B2B 7-21 February 2010 to the Caribbean.

My only stipulation, I will Not answer anything to do with what to wear.

So other than that, ask away

We will be doing a TA next year. We were wondering about a few things.

1. Do you know the size of the workout facility?
  2. Do they have a full set of workout machines (upper and lower body)?
  3. How early you have to reserve a place for the culinary classes to get a spot?
  4. How crowded do the computers get and what is the best time to access them?

We may have more questions later. Thanks for your offer Joanie.

We will be doing a TA next year. We were wondering about a few things.

1. Do you know the size of the workout facility?
  2. Do they have a full set of workout machines (upper and lower body)?

(Answer for both questions above: I cannot give exact size, but the workout area is huge!! And has floor to ceiling windows with all the workout machines facing the windows and giving an absolutely gorgeous view. The workout machines are all extremely modern and up to date with both upper and lower body machines.)

1. How early you have to reserve a place for the culinary classes to get a spot?

(Answer: I made my reservation on our 1st full sea day and had no problems. But, I have read in other threads that you can reserve on the day of a class also.) I believe it may have to do with who the chef is and what they are making. (Just a note: Someone in another thread posted a recipe they received during their recent cruise by one of the Guest Chefs. It was for Salmon Wellington. OH MY GOODNESS, I made it last night and hubby said it was the most delicious salmon I've ever made, and I make delicious salmon!!!)

1. How crowded do the computers get and what is the best time to access them?

(Answer: I did not use the computers on board (hubby brought his own) BUT, I did go up to not only the computer room (it was empty) and the Erasmus Library (which had 2 or 3 computers) and those computers were all in use the entire hour I was in the Library, by the same people.

We may have more questions later. Thanks for your offer Joanie.

Ask away:D

Hey TibbieMom,

I'm right there with you!! It does not bother me one bit for anyone to wear anything they want. I'm on the cruise and I'm going to enjoy either way!! Anyways.....It's not what's on the outside that counts....it's what's on the inside;)

Archived