Questions as we plan Galapagos/Machu Picchu Trip

SakeDad

We want to go to the Galapagos and Machu Picchu this September. We are flexible on dates and how long we go. As this will most likely be the only time we get there we want to make the MOST of it. So far the only "must" is staying at the Sanctuary at MP. We know it's pricey but we love the fact that we can explore the ruins at leisure for a few days. We are thinking about staying there 2 nights. Is that enough?

Also, how many days cruise do we need to spend in Galapagos? Which islands are "musts" and which can be missed. Is 3 days enough or do you really need 7 to make it worth the trip? I'm an avid photographer so the wildlife and snorkeling are the things I'm looking forward to most there.

Is it better to book Galapagos and MP seperately or should we book both with the same tour company?

So far all the tours I see are all different so I'm having a hard time deciding which is the best for the money.

I appreciate all your help in advance! THANKS:D I will continue to search here and if you know of any threads that will help I'll gladly accept the link.

We want to go to the Galapagos and Machu Picchu this September. We are flexible on dates and how long we go. As this will most likely be the only time we get there we want to make the MOST of it. So far the only "must" is staying at the Sanctuary at MP. We know it's pricey but we love the fact that we can explore the ruins at leisure for a few days. We are thinking about staying there 2 nights. Is that enough?

Also, how many days cruise do we need to spend in Galapagos? Which islands are "musts" and which can be missed. Is 3 days enough or do you really need 7 to make it worth the trip? I'm an avid photographer so the wildlife and snorkeling are the things I'm looking forward to most there.

Is it better to book Galapagos and MP seperately or should we book both with the same tour company?

So far all the tours I see are all different so I'm having a hard time deciding which is the best for the money.

I appreciate all your help in advance! THANKS:D I will continue to search here and if you know of any threads that will help I'll gladly accept the link.

1. You are going THIS September???? You may be totally out of luck this late in the game booking the Sanctuary UNLESS you are willing to book the Monasterio in Cusco also. Since Orient Express took over the two luxury hotels and the train, a lot has changed. And NOT for the better IMHO.

Two days at the Sanctuary is MORE than enough (actually one night, 2 days is more than enough unless you are physically fit enough to climb Wayna Pichu). Have you also thought about Lake Titicaca??? Colca Canyon??? All easy to get to from Cusco and the train ride from Cusco is truly spectacular.

2. Really depends on what you want out of the Galapagos. Are you into the "boat" experience, do you want to dive, do you want to snorkel many places or are you content to stay on land and take pictures. The answers to those questions should be make the determination about "how long".

Here's a list I used when I booked my brother and his buddies on a dive trip. All bookable directly with the boat operator-I never use a tour agency. http://www.galapagosislands.com/html/large_or_small_boats.html

You may also want to fly into Guayaquil instead of Quito. Direct flights out of Guayaquil to the Galapagos. Generally cheaper airfare from the USA.

Hope this little bit of info helps to at least START planning. But if you are going this September, don't count on the Sanctuary without booking the Monasterio (which makes it a VERY expensive trip). There MAY or MAY NOT be space available for the Sanctuary WITHOUT the Monasterio. It's a rip having to book both of them but that's the new rules from Orient Express. IF you book early, often you can get just the Sanctuary. But as the hotels start filling up, OE often INSISTS that both must be booked.

Thanks. Good to know about Santuary. Maybe we can just do one night if it makes it easier. Also, do you think there is an advantage to either doing Galapagos or MP first? From all of your posts it seems it would be wise to not do the Cuzco tour until the day after we arrive.

As for Galapagos it's been my dream to go there for a long time. I would want lots of snorkeling as well as time on the islands photographing the wild life. Not looking for luxury there as much as experiencing all the islands have to offer.

Thanks. Good to know about Santuary. Maybe we can just do one night if it makes it easier. Also, do you think there is an advantage to either doing Galapagos or MP first? From all of your posts it seems it would be wise to not do the Cuzco tour until the day after we arrive.

As for Galapagos it's been my dream to go there for a long time. I would want lots of snorkeling as well as time on the islands photographing the wild life. Not looking for luxury there as much as experiencing all the islands have to offer.

I guess I didn't make myself clear about the Sanctuary. When Orient Express bought the Monasterio and Sanctuary, they put in a policy-if you want to stay at the Sanctuary, you MUST book the Monasterio for the same amount of nights. Since both hotels are very pricey, it made for a very expensive trip. In the last year or so, OE has allowed booking of just the Sanctuary SOMETIMES. BUT you generally have to book VERY early to get the single booking and not have to book both hotels. You may want to try Peru-hotels.com. I use them for a lot of hotel bookings in SA and they have occasionally been able to get the Sanctuary WITHOUT the Monasterio. IF you try to book through OE, they will tell you you have to book both.

Take a look at that link I sent you. Has everything from cruise ships, luxury yachts to backpacker boats. Read the descriptions, narrow it down to a few that interest you. Post what you like. Then I will ask my brother's buddy. He has gone to Galapagos 5 times, stayed a total of 87 days and he has taken quite a few different boats. He is a professional diver and photographer and I am sure he can recommend from your choices.

There is little chance you can do MP the first day you arrive Cusco. The earliest plane arrives about 6:30AM and unless you take the Hiram Bingham train (it is a rip off unless you just want a luxury experience and have lots of money to throw away), you have missed the trains to MP. So you will definitely be going the second day. I highly recommend you do almost NOTHING the first day except an easy walk around town and dinner. The second day, a trip to the Sacred Valley is relatively easy. Then the third day, with a lot of climbing and walking to do, visit MP. You should acclimate well with that schedule.

I was sent this by a TA but I feel the 1st day is too busy and we should spend it relaxing in Cuzco...I also think we want 5-7 days sailing the Galapagos. BUt what do you think about the rest of it? Also, would we be better doing Galapagos 1st then MP or reverse or does it not matter?

Day 1. Cuzco City Tour (10,500 ft) Special 7 – Inspiring Incas & Great Galapagos

• Lima à Cuzco Flight. Earliest departure is 6am, latest at 11am.
  • Transfer provided to your comfortable Cuzco hotel.
  • During your afternoon city tour of Cuzco you will visit the Cathedral, Temple of the Sun Korikancha, Sacsayhuaman, Puca Pucara, Qenqo and Tambomachay.

Day 2. Sacred Valley

• Full day Sacred Valley tour (Tue/Thu/Sun).
  • You will visit the Pisaq market, Ollantaytambo, Chinchero and Sacred Valley.

Day 3. Machu Picchu (7,700 ft)

• Guided tour of Machu Picchu.
  • Overnight in the Machu Picchu area.

Day 4. Machu Picchu/Cuzco

• Free day to return to the ruins and relax at the local Hot Springs.
  • Late Afternoon return to Cuzco.

Day 5. Cuzco/Quito

• Transfer to the airport for your flight to Quito via Lima.
  • Airport meeting and transfer to your Quito hotel.

Day 6. Quito/Galapagos Cruise

• Transfer to the airport for your flight to Galapagos.
  • Start your Galapagos Cruise.

Day 7-8. Galapagos cruise

• Cruising the Galapagos.

Day 9. Galapagos Cruise

• Last day cruising the Galapagos.
  • Transfer to the airport for your flight back to Quito.
  • International flight back home.

IMHO, a number of things wrong with the itinerary.

1. AS I have posted sooooo many times-get off the plane, "acclimate" for a couple of hours, then go running around Cusco. Sacsayhuaman is outside Cusco at almost 15,000 feet. GREAT way to get AMS. You are correct-WAAAAAAY too busy.

2. NO indication of what hotel you are staying at in MP/Agua Calientes. There are some REAL dumps. EVERY hotel EXCEPT the Sanctuary is at the bottom of the hill. You are totally dependent upon the bus to get up the hill to the ruins. And the bus doesn't start running very early, so you miss the sunrise. IMHO, unless you really think you need two days at the ruins, I see no need to spend the night UNLESS you stay at the Sanctuary.

Maybe it is just me but there are so many ruins around Cusco, you can easily get "ruined" out. Kind of like temples in Asia, cathedrals in SA or souks in the Middle East. They all begin to look the same after a while. JMHO, but much more interesting to see how the people live and see their lives than spend a lot of time in MP. Once you have walked through and marveled at "how did they do that", there really isn't a lot more to see at the ruins themselves.

Staying at the Sanctuary is a whole different experience. You get to go inside the ruins before the majority of people arrive, you get to see the sunrise. If you get tired, you just go back to your room, etc. etc. etc. But it is a PRICEY trip. I have done it-yes, truly great. I wouldn't waste my time spending the night in Agua Calientes. 6 hours between trains seeing the ruins is more than sufficient for the majority of people. You have to decide if 6 hours is sufficient.

3. NO indication of what boat in the Galapagos.

4. 5-7 day cruises are hard to come by. MOST are either 4 days or 8 days. My brother’s friend recommended these if you want 5 days. Athala or Seaman II. Both of these start and end at different ports. They have naturalists on board. All air conditioned. Some of the cabins on the Athala have balconies.

Quito is very high-almost the same altitude as Cusco. IF you happen to get AMS in Cusco, sure could make the trip to the Galapagos miserable until you got adjusted again to sea level. And then return to Quito at altitude and have to adjust again???? Bad idea, IMHO.

IF it was my trip, I would fly into Guayaquil, Ecuador and start from there. But there is a drawback. You MUST have a YF vaccination if you go to Galapagos first. Peru usually checks if you have come from most South American countries (Chile and Argentina being two they don’t check).

LOTS of flights to Guayaquil from LAX. I am sure you can figure out how to get to LAX. COPA through Panama City, Avianca through Bogota. Generally a couple hundred dollars cheaper than flying into Quito. Now, if you want to see Quito also, that is a different story.

Almost all flights from Quito to the Galapagos stop in Guayaquil anyhow, so you have to decide how important Quito is to you.

From Guayquil, you can take TAME (Ecuadorian airline) to Baltra. MOST of the cruises leave from Baltra. IF you happen to pick one that leaves or arrives San Cristobal, you will have to fly AeroGal, as they are the only airline flying into San Cristobal.

Lots of info-start thinking about what type of boat, whether you want to see Quito or not, how well you could handle AMS???. Those things have major impacts on how to plan your trip.

I have this itin on the Athala Catamaran for $4190.00 (cruise only) Can you tell me what you think of the itin and the islands visited? Do you know anything about this boat (says it's new) Thanks

Tuesday:

Am: Arrival in San Cristóbal island and transfer to the boat

Pm: La Galapaguera or Interpretation Center

Wednesday: Española island

Am: Bahía Gardner

Pm: Punta Suárez

Thursday: Floreana island

Am: Post Office Bay

Pm: Punta Cormorant

Friday:

Am: Santa Cruz Island- Charles Darwin Research Station

Pm: Islas Plaza

Saturday:

Am: North Seymour

Pm: Bartolomé

Sunday:

Am: Sta Cruz: Cerro Dragon

Pm: Sombrero Chino Island

Monday:

Am: James Island: Puerto Egas

Pm: Rábida Island

Tuesday:

San Cristobal Island-Isla Lobos and transfer back to the airport

SakeDad - We returned a few weeks ago from a Galapagos-Peru trip. In the Galapagos, we used Celebrity Xpedition, one of the newest "large" (94 pax) ships there and certainly one of the most luxurious ships there, according to our naturalists (who work on many ships) and the Berlitz Guide to Cruising. The cruise and adventure experience were excellent. Snorkeling with young sea lions near Champion Island (a satellite island of Floreana) was one of the great travel memories of my life. It would have made the whole trip worthwhile but, fortunately, did not have to, as there were many other remarkable hikes and snorkels. The Xpedition cruise is 7 nights in the Galapagos, usually combined with a night or two pre-cruise in Quito and a night or two post-cruise there.

As for Peru, we had arranged a private tour there, with a night in Lima (more than enough, IMHO), 2 nights in the Sacred Valley at Sol y Luna, 2 nights at Sanctuary Lodge at MP, and 3 nights in Cusco at Monasterio.

Two nights at Sanctuary Lodge is certainly enough. Most people stay there only one night; but it is a nice indulgence to stay there two nights and be able to go back to the hotel for a nap or a drink without worrying about squandering your precious time at MP. The hotel is all-inclusive, with premium hooch (i.e. JW Black and Chivas) available at the bar without further charge. The dining is quite good and the food selection imaginative. (I loved the home-made cinnamon ice cream served with a Napoleon of rice pudding - sort of a combination of comfort food and nouvelle Peruvian chic.)

The Hiram Bingham train is a dubious choice. It is quite expensive and, unlike the splurge of staying at Sanctuary Lodge, is not nearly as satisfying. We would suggest going up to MP on the Vistadome and returning to Cusco either on the Vistadome or the Hiram Bingham train. Returning on the HB train allows you the chance to experience this old-style luxury train (if that interests you) at night and for dinner, a more sensible choice than the morning experience, when you will be more interested in the scenery than the brass fittings on the train.

You do not need a Yellow Fever certificate to enter Peru from Quito. I cannot tell you whether you need one if you enter from Guayaquil; but several people on our Galapagos cruise who were continuing on to Peru on the Celebrity post-cruise package and left our plane at Guayaquil to fly on to Lima did not have YF certs. The Galapagos are not within any YF zone; so having visited there does not have any bearing on YF scrutiny upon arrival in Peru, in our experience.

As for altitude sickness issues, do not dismiss or take lightly Greatam's comments concerning AMS. It can affect someone quite dramatically, as my partner discovered. The tours that fly people into Cusco and then proceed immediately to outings to places at even higher elevation are a bit nuts. The first day or two in the Andes should indeed be done at a modest pace and, if possible, at a lower altitude than Cusco (such as the Sacred Valley). Greatam is not being hyperbolic in her warnings about AMS and the necessity to take it easy for the first day or so.

Another of Greatam's points that you should take quite seriously is her suggestion that it might be quite difficult to get rooms at Sanctuary Lodge for September, 2009 at this late date. When we were there last month, the hotel was entirely booked the first night of our stay but much less full the second night. With the current economy, tourism in Peru is drastically reduced (according to our guides, about 50% of what it was 18 months ago). That might make it a bit easier to secure a room at Sanctuary Lodge. Nonetheless, it is a unique hotel (for its setting, not for its decent but hardly ultra-luxe accomodations for the ultra-luxe price) which is often booked more than a year in advance. If Sanctuary Lodge is a "must" on your itinerary, you should likely pounce on that project quite soon. We do not for a moment regret having splurged on Sanctuary Lodge, as it made our visit to MP even more delightful than it would have been had we stayed down in Aquas Calientes.

We'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have about either the Galapagos or Cusco-MP experience we had.

Cheers, Fred

I have this itin on the Athala Catamaran for $4190.00 (cruise only) Can you tell me what you think of the itin and the islands visited? Do you know anything about this boat (says it's new) Thanks

Tuesday:

Am: Arrival in San Cristóbal island and transfer to the boat

Pm: La Galapaguera or Interpretation Center

Wednesday: Española island

Am: Bahía Gardner

Pm: Punta Suárez

Thursday: Floreana island

Am: Post Office Bay

Pm: Punta Cormorant

Friday:

Am: Santa Cruz Island- Charles Darwin Research Station

Pm: Islas Plaza

Saturday:

Am: North Seymour

Pm: Bartolomé

Sunday:

Am: Sta Cruz: Cerro Dragon

Pm: Sombrero Chino Island

Monday:

Am: James Island: Puerto Egas

Pm: Rábida Island

Tuesday:

San Cristobal Island-Isla Lobos and transfer back to the airport

I didn't think you wanted an 8 day cruise. But if you do, my brother's friend who spends lots of time in the Galapagos doing commercial photography recommended this very ship. Said the naturalist was first class. Did you check out that website I posted?? They are running some 2/1 specials certain times in September, also some other discounts. 1-877-436-7512, 1-877-986-6435

You will have to fly AeroGal if you fly into/out of San Cristobal. Booking online or with a phone call.

Also, if we want to do Lima for a couple of days what is the best way to book air for Lima/MP and in which order?

You have to fly through Lima any way you look at it. So before you go to MP or after you go makes NO difference. You will still have to fly through Lima, so can spend time there either going or coming or both.

I highly recommend you book Lan's South America Airpass. Use it for ALL your intra-SA flights. I always forget about this but Marazul reminded me and it is truly a bargain.

http://www.lan.com/promociones/data/norteamerica/us/todo_el_mundo/sudamerica_airpass/descripcion/index-en-us.html

You MUST fly into Guayaquil/Quito (or your first stop in SA) on either LAN, a OneWorld carrier (AA), Air China or South African Airways (not likely), United or AeroMexico to be eligible for the airpass.

Flying LAN from the USA is usually more expensive than flying AA, but sometimes there are sales.

THANKS! God I love this website!:D I still have a few inquiries out so will be posting a few more questions soon but I already have gotten so much info here! Thanks Freddie and Greatam (et al)

October 4, 2008

Arrive Lima

Transfer to hotel by ADVENTURE LIFE

An Adventure Life representative will meet you at the airport and

your internal flight tickets will be at the hotel with your welcome

letter

No activities planned for today, but Milagros Polo is on hand to

assist in arranging an optional city tour or museum visit

Overnight at HOTEL FARAONA. PH. (1) 446-8218*

Address: CALLE MANUEL BONILLA 185 MIRAFLORES

October 5, 2008

Hotel pickup at 10:00 AM for flight to Cusco

Fly Cusco on Lan Peru Flight 111

Depart Lima 12:30 PM. Arrive Cusco 1:45 PM

Transfer to hotel

Afternoon Free with your Adventure Life Guide

Overnight at MARQUESES. PH. (84)-264249*

Address: CALLE GARCILAZO 256

October 6, 2008 (L)

Free Day Cusco

Address: CALLE GARCILAZO 256

October 7, 2008

Pickup for Sacred Valley Tour at 8:00 AM– visits to ruins and

village markets, end day in village of Ollantaytambo

Overnight at PAKARITAMPU. PH. (84) 204-020*

Address: AV. FERROCARRIL **Waitlisted at El Sauce**

October 8, 2008

Pickup at 6:30 AM for morning Train to Machu Picchu

Morning tour of the ruins

Overnight at INTI INN ORQUIDEAS. PH. (84)-21385*

Address: BARRIO ORQUIDEAS B-3

October 9, 2008

Independent visit to Machu Picchu – shuttle fare and reentrance

fees to park payable by client (approx. $55) ***can pre-pay

entrance fee

Afternoon return to Cusco

October 10, 2008

Hotel pickup time for flight to Lima announced in Cusco

Fly Lima on Taca Flight 08

Depart Cusco 7:55 AM. Arrive Lima 9:20 AM

Fly Quito on Taca Flight 29

Depart Lima 10:55 AM. Arrive Quito 1:10 PM

Look for our Quito representative at the airport for your transfer.

Overnight at MANSION DEL ANGEL. PH. (593-2) 255-7721

Address: Wilson E5-29 y Juan León Mera

October 11, 2008

Pickup at 8:00 AM for visit to Otavalo Market

Return to Quito

October 12, 2008

Hotel pickup at 7:00 AM for flight to Galapagos

Fly Galapagos on 036

Depart Quito 9:09 AM. Arrive Galapagos 11:00 AM

Meet your guide at the Galapagos airport.

Transfer to yacht "Eric/Letty/Flamingo"

October 13-October 18, 2008 (multiple dates) (B,L,D)

Galapagos Cruise

October 19, 2008 (B)

Transfer to airport announced locally for flight to Quito

Fly Quito on 036

Depart Galapagos 12:15 PM. Arrive Quito 4:20 PM

Transfer to hotel by Adventure Life

October 20, 2008

Airport transfer by ADVENTURE LIFE

Return Home

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone used Avalon Waterways for their Machu Picchu and Galapagos tour? We've traveled with them on a riverboat in Europe and are trying to decide if this would be a good way to see this South American region. It's a 15 day trip that includes 2 days, 1 night in MP. Any recommendations?

Bill

Has anyone used Avalon Waterways for their Machu Picchu and Galapagos tour? We've traveled with them on a riverboat in Europe and are trying to decide if this would be a good way to see this South American region. It's a 15 day trip that includes 2 days, 1 night in MP. Any recommendations?

Bill

How many days total in the Cusco/MP area??? If you don't have at least 4, not including your flight day from Lima to Cusco, you increase your chances of getting AMS. And with two days in MP, I can almost visualize the itinerary-Day 1, Lima/Cusco flight (and in the afternoon, get dragged around Cusco to "see the sights", Days 2-3-train to MP, ruins, train from MP, Day 4-fly out of Cusco.

If the itinerary is anything like I just posted, you have a serious chance of getting AMS. You need to arrive Cusco and DO NOTHING for the first day. A very slow walk around the Plaza around dinner time is the ONLY thing you should even attempt, unless you are a 20+ something fitness buff.

Day two-Sacred Valley tour

Day 3-MP-there is a lot of walking and climbing involved. If you are not acclimated (even though MP is 2500 feet lower than Cusco) you could have serious health problems. Shortness of breath is usually the big one-high altitude and lots of physical exertion.

Day 4-either stay overnight at MP or fly out of Cusco. Obviously, if you stay overnight, your trip will be five or more days.

Here is our itinerary--what do you think?

http://www.avalonwaterways.com/product.aspx?content=itin&trip=0WGG

JMHO, but WAAAAAY too busy that first day. Fly to Cusco, run around Cusco area, go to Sacsayhuaman (which is on a mountain at 12,000 feet-the road out of Cusco climbs to almost 15,000 feet), get on a bus to the Sacred Valley, go to the Pisac market????

If you don't get AMS with that itinerary, you are either very lucky or in very good physical shape.

For your enjoyment, but more than anything, for your health and physical safety, take it MUCH easier. And you REALLY don't need a package tour. VERY easy to do this on your own and definitely a money saver. Here is one thread with one poster saving $1500pp and increasing the amount of time spent in Peru from 4 days to 10.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1015979

Archived