About New Acropolis Museum

New Acropolis Museum is ready to open the doors to public (June 20th, 2009)!

The new Acropolis Museum will open to the public, on a strictly restricted basis, on Sunday 21 June 2009.

On Sunday 21, Monday 22 and Tuesday 23 June 2009, visitors can only enter the museum with an e-ticket - a ticket pre-purchased through the Museum's website.

The Museum website at www.theacropolismuseum.gr is expected to operate from 15 June 2009.

On Sunday 21, Monday 22 and Tuesday 23 June 2009, other than e-ticketing, there will be no other tickets available for entry. No tickets will be sold at the Museum.

From Wednesday 24 June 2009, visitors will be able to gain admission to the Museum with the purchase of a ticket at the Museum, or the pre purchase of a ticket on the Museum website.

From 21 June 2009 to 31 December 2009 the cost of entry for all visitors is 1 euro.

The Museum will open 8.00 a.m. to 8.00 p.m. daily, except for Mondays.

Here you can watch 2 videos about new museum:

http://www.istopoli.com/cruise/player/

Excellent information. Thanks! We'll be there on June 25.

Your only hope of getting in will be to try to purchase a ticket via the website.

I am happy to hear the museum is finally opening.

I hope you'll give us your review as well!

course will write my comments and will be strictly (though I am Greek:D)

auducky2.. oh.. sorry.. we never understand why they close the museums Mondays and special in high seasons:cool:

Ι will send a letter to the Minister of Culture to open at least when there come cruise ships. His wife was my friend from school.:p

Fafos - do you think we need to prebuy tickets for Sunday, Nov 1 or will there be plenty at the door in November?

Thanks Linda

no, you don't need prebuy tickets.. after September the situation is very easy there..

course will write my comments and will be strictly (though I am Greek:D)

auducky2.. oh.. sorry.. we never understand why they close the museums Mondays and special in high seasons:cool:

Ι will send a letter to the Minister of Culture to open at least when there come cruise ships. His wife was my friend from school.:p

I don't get it either. Oh well. Hope you post when you get back and have a fabulous time!

As I understand it, beginning Nov 1, the musuems on Sundays are free.

for all arcaeological sites and archaeological museums in Greece:

Free admission days spacer.gif

-6 March (in memory of Melina Mercouri)

-5 June (International Enviroment Day)

-18 April (International Monuments Day)

-18 May (International Museums Day)

-The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)

-Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March

-National Holidays

-The first Sunday of every month, except for July, August and September (when the first Sunday is holiday, then the second is the free admission day.)

-27 September, International Tourism Day

for all arcaeological sites and archaeological museums in Greece:

Free admission days spacer.gif

-6 March (in memory of Melina Mercouri)

-5 June (International Enviroment Day)

-18 April (International Monuments Day)

-18 May (International Museums Day)

-The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)

-Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March

-National Holidays

-The first Sunday of every month, except for July, August and September (when the first Sunday is holiday, then the second is the free admission day.)

-27 September, International Tourism Day

Fafos,

We are going to be in Athens on Monday July 20th. Is it true that the newacropolis museum will be closed? is the old one still open on Mondays and does it have any exhibits or have they all been moved? Do you have any recommendations on getting a taxi from the port to the train station? i have heard the walk to the train station is 25 minutes which would be long for my kids since we will walk the rest of the day. Thank you so much for all of your helpful posts. I am excited to see your beautiful country.

Magna

Fafos,

Thanks for this brilliant information. As soon as I saw the URL, I immediately got on to the site and tried to book my tickets. I was very frustrated when the credit card would not register for me - until I noticed your info that the last weekend in September is free!! We´ll be there on Sat. 26th Sept. So it looks as if I´ve saved myself 2 Euros - probably at the expense of there being masses of visitors that day!:eek: Ah well, you can´t win them all.....

Do you have any tips for "doing" Athens on our own? What is the best way to get to the city from the ship (MSC Opera) ? All information will be gratefully received - this is our very first taste of Greece - and my husband can read ancient Greek!

Thanks!

Scotswoman

criseshore@... old Acropolis museum will be a cafe next months... now is just an empty building..

About Mondays... The officials of the museum get hundreds of messages and have heard that it can operate Mondays after 13:00 as the National Museum.

Scotswoman@... ALL arhaelogical museums and sites will be free this weekend..

criseshore & Scotswoman...

Athens is 8-9 miles from port... the best way (my opinion) is to go with metro (electric train for Greeks:D) from Pireaus... if you don't want walking from port to station (special July-August is very hard for children or older people because of heat) you can take bus 843 (taxi drivers are strange there, don't like short transfers:cool:)... read about this here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=19358337&postcount=28

In my signature I have a link with walking maps... if you have time go to National museum at Patission street... you can go to Acropolis areas and museum after for lunch or coffe at Plaka and next with metro from Monastiraki to Victoria where is National Museum... after you go again to Victoria's station for go back to Pireaus.. July 20th Athens is empty and the transfers are very easy.. September is chaotic:p

Thanks Fafos,

You´re a mine of good information - AND I see you make good moussaka!!:D We only need the ship to stay for a few more days so that we can see more of the stuff you are recommending.:p How long do you reckon we might want to spend at the Acropolis (plus museum)?? We´ll jump off the ship as soon as it docks!! Even so, time will be much too short.

Scotswoman

Thanks Fafos,

You´re a mine of good information - AND I see you make good moussaka!!:D We only need the ship to stay for a few more days so that we can see more of the stuff you are recommending.:p How long do you reckon we might want to spend at the Acropolis (plus museum)?? We´ll jump off the ship as soon as it docks!! Even so, time will be much too short.

Scotswoman

if you visit and Thission's Agora you will need 2.5-3 hours... if you visit National museum you'll need in there more 1.5-2 hours because is bigger..

and is true.. I'm the king of mussaka!!!:p but today I make gemista:D

Fafos-

You mention in the link with the bus stop image that for 3E a ticket is good for 24 hours. Does that cover the electric train to Athens and all metro transportation there? That sounds like a great deal it that is true!

Thank you for your help!

Katy P.@ as I know yes, you can take photos.. Next Sunday I'll know for sure..

for National museum you can take photos exept some parts where you can't use flash (but the day light and building lights are enough for take photos without flash)..

GACRUISER456@ yes, this is for everything in Athens - Pireaus: metro or electric train, busses, trolley.. this is not for metro to and from Airport and for trams..

Hello again,

Thanks Fafos.

May I ask another question please... the walk up to the Acropolis, how is it really? The tours description is 75 steps, is it stairs, gravel, are there rails? From what i've read, it's worth it to go up there but I've also read that the elevator is only strictly for wheelchair bound. Are there resting points on your way up so you can at least stop for a while?

There's also a mention of a lookout point so that you can have a photo of the Parthenon. To reach that lookout point, is this also same problem as going up to the Acropolis?

Thank you for any input. :)

from the main entrance stairs are less than those on the side of Theseus. Everywhere, be careful because the road is "slick ice" and is constructed of stone. Right and left are the stairs terraces where you can relax for a while.

There is no specific location to get good photos .. everywhere is the same .. The most popular and classical side is the front side...

Archived