Native Mask sought

TiogaCruiser

Any ideas which shops to go to for a nice one? Budget is under $100.

Sorry, "A nice one" and "under $100" can't be used in the same phrase when it comes to Native Alaska art. You can get a made-in-China one at a few shops for that sort of money, though.

DW and I collect NW Native art and have several masks. Unfortunately yo won't find anything of any size within your budget, most masks start at about $1000 and go up from there. You may find some flat panel carvings or perhaps even a small talking stick in your budget.

A talking stick was often passed around in a meeting of Native Indians and when one held it they had the authority to speak to the meeting. The can range in size from 4 to 6 feet to just 14" to 18". Depending on there size they may have a number of birds or wildlife carved on them. Vey often a high ranking bird like a thunderbird, eagle or raven is carved on top. The first picture below shows a gallery quality stick that would run in the thousands of dollars and the 2nd one is about 12" would or should be in the $75 to $100 range depending on the carver. I have seen more in the way of carvings in Ketchikan stores than anywhere else. But keep you eyes open and if you see something that appeals to you then buy it.

talkingstick3.jpg20007.jpg

Check out these masks at this thread I posted a couple of years ago:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=373850

there is a pic I posted in the OP as an attachment - you can see my wife standing in front of the wooden "masks". See if you might like something like this?

The store was Perfect Partner Opals, on creek street in Ketchikan if you are interested.

thomas

You are very welome, sorry I don't recall any names as I was only casually interested in carvings being I was more interested in a gold nugget the last time there. However there are a number of shops near where the ships tie up including at least one jewlery store that have various amounts of carvings and of course there are the shops and galleries on Creek Street.

I looked in a couple of places in Juneau for prices. I'd recommend going to Mt Juneau Trading Post on Franklin Street. It's right across from the street clock that'll be on the free give away street map. It's owned by locals, has been for generations, and the works are all by local artists. There were some simpler but good sized like a foot long, wall hangings for @$90. Last year when someone was looking for masks, they had smaller ones, but the artist may not be keeping up demand. The place is packed with stuff, so I'd just ask and cut right to the chase.

Although option is down at Annie Kaile's, on Front Street which the short little street off of Franklin, on the right side as you walk out of the Traiding Post and cross the street. A Native artist makes quick small masks, a bit larger than a siliver dollar, that are mounted in a shadow box for $35. They're hand-painted and have good detail.

If you poke around in various shops, you may find a mask for a good price that's made locally, but if you don't have a lot of time, that's some go-to places.

Archived