Long Beach vs. San Pedro???

Beachcruzer

My two teenagers and I will be spending a couple days in LA before our cruise on the Mariner. We'd like to do a little sightseeing and don't plan on renting a car. Does anyone have any good suggestions on which of these places would be better for us to stay? Thanks!

My two teenagers and I will be spending a couple days in LA before our cruise on the Mariner. We'd like to do a little sightseeing and don't plan on renting a car. Does anyone have any good suggestions on which of these places would be better for us to stay? Thanks!

So you have two teenagers...

You're going to spend a couple of days in LA and want to sightsee...

You don't want to rent a car...

So, then the answer is none of the above!

You won't do well with that plan in either San Pedro or Long Beach.

So a couple of questions to help you out...

#1 What month of the year?

#2 Are they more into Hollywood or Beaches?

#3 What is a general budget?

That will help us to help you find the best place!:D

So you have two teenagers...

You're going to spend a couple of days in LA and want to sightsee...

You don't want to rent a car...

So, then the answer is none of the above!

You won't do well with that plan in either San Pedro or Long Beach.

So a couple of questions to help you out...

#1 What month of the year?

#2 Are they more into Hollywood or Beaches?

#3 What is a general budget?

That will help us to help you find the best place!:D

We're going the last week of August. We live in Virginia Beach so we really can see beaches anytime we want. The kids have expressed some interest in Hollywood so I thought we might try a Sunseeker tour because I read they would pick us up in Long Beach. Our budget is to try and be reasonable since we've already paid for airfare and cruise. We just thought we'd spend a little time in LA first because this might be the only time the kids get to CA.

We're going the last week of August. We live in Virginia Beach so we really can see beaches anytime we want.

Yeah, so that's exactly why Long Beach isn't great for your situation. It will be like basically staying in a smaller version of Virginia Beach!

The kids have expressed some interest in Hollywood

Well for teenagers, the Hollywood area is going to be infinitely more fun for a few days...

Here are a few nice, safe, hotels in Hollywood that would be fun for the whole family, and have lots to do in the area without a car...

(click on all of my links below for pics and reports on each hotel)

Sportsmen's Lodge

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=680211

As teen friendly as you can get! Easy to get to and from Universal, City Walk, and Hollywood and Highland - all great teen places.

You can get an $89 rate for advance purchase.

Take the absolute best tour from here:

http://www.redlinetours.com

I highly recommend the Hollywood Movie Star Experience on a weekday.

Best Western Sunset Plaza

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=917446

Great safe area. Lots in walking distance for teens.

You can also take a redline tour from there...

Farmer's Daughter Hotel

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=555307

This one is great if they are interested in the TV Show "The Hills" and hanging out in those areas.

If they are 16 and over, there's tickets to TV tapings!

so I thought we might try a Sunseeker tour because I read they would pick us up in Long Beach. Our budget is to try and be reasonable since we've already paid for airfare and cruise. We just thought we'd spend a little time in LA first because this might be the only time the kids get to CA.

And I love Sunseekers, as I recommend them for certain people and situations...

But with two teenagers, their possibly only time in CA, and two days - Long Beach won't be that fun or exciting. Don't shortchange them.

San Pedro will not be much better for them.

Hollywood area and a Red Line Tour is the way to go.

Give them a real taste and enjoyment in LA. Find a deal at one of the hotels above, take a Red Line Tour and there is TONS more to do and interest them in close distance to those hotels.

Stores, Restaurants, Shops, Sightseeing, etc.

For your teens' sake, I hope you'll take my advice!

Let me know if you have any more questions.:D

Yeah, so that's exactly why Long Beach isn't great for your situation. It will be like basically staying in a smaller version of Virginia Beach!

Well for teenagers, the Hollywood area is going to be infinitely more fun for a few days...

Here are a few nice, safe, hotels in Hollywood that would be fun for the whole family, and have lots to do in the area without a car...

(click on all of my links below for pics and reports on each hotel)

Sportsmen's Lodge

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=680211

As teen friendly as you can get! Easy to get to and from Universal, City Walk, and Hollywood and Highland - all great teen places.

You can get an $89 rate for advance purchase.

Take the absolute best tour from here:

www.redlinetours.com

I highly recommend the Hollywood Movie Star Experience on a weekday.

Best Western Sunset Plaza

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=917446

Great safe area. Lots in walking distance for teens.

You can also take a redline tour from there...

Farmer's Daughter Hotel

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=555307

This one is great if they are interested in the TV Show "The Hills" and hanging out in those areas.

If they are 16 and over, there's tickets to TV tapings!

And I love Sunseekers, as I recommend them for certain people and situations...

But with two teenagers, their possibly only time in CA, and two days - Long Beach won't be that fun or exciting. Don't shortchange them.

San Pedro will not be much better for them.

Hollywood area and a Red Line Tour is the way to go.

Give them a real taste and enjoyment in LA. Find a deal at one of the hotels above, take a Red Line Tour and there is TONS more to do and interest them in close distance to those hotels.

Stores, Restaurants, Shops, Sightseeing, etc.

For your teens' sake, I hope you'll take my advice!

Thanks for all of the great advice! I will definitely check into your suggestions. I had looked at the Sportsmen's Lodge but the rates were a lot higher than $89. I'll keep looking and see if I can figure out how to get that advance purchase rate.

Do you suggest I take a shuttle to one of those hotels from the airport, then Sunday morning take another shuttle to the cruise port?

Thanks for all of the great advice! I will definitely check into your suggestions. I had looked at the Sportsmen's Lodge but the rates were a lot higher than $89. I'll keep looking and see if I can figure out how to get that advance purchase rate.

I just checked, and you can get that weekend for $99 and $119 with advance purchase rates.

When you get to the website, and put in your dates - it will have a pull down menu at the middle/top.

It will automatically say "Best Available Rate".

You want to click on that and choose "Advance Purchase".

Advance purchase gives you the lowest rates...

Do you suggest I take a shuttle to one of those hotels from the airport, then Sunday morning take another shuttle to the cruise port?

Yes! That's why this is one of the few hotel locations in Los Angeles that is great without a car. Just Shuttle to the hotel from the airport.

Then you can get around the area pretty easily. Take the free shuttle to and from Universal for your home base, then you can Metro really fast to Hollywood and Highland.

If you take the Red Line Tour for one of your days, they'll pick you up directly from that hotel.

Then Sunday morning, just take a shuttle to the pier. There won't be traffic, so it will get you there pretty quickly.

I don't recommend the LA Metro to out of towners in general...

But the Metro Red Line, right there in the Universal/Hollywood area is the easiest and safest for tourists.

Super easy, to hop on and of from Universal to Hollywood and vice-versa.

Fast and fun.

Click on this pic for a larger version:

2612610810079337728dSwZQu_th.jpg

Lets you off right at Hollywood and Highland, the Kodak Theater, etc.

Perfect sport for sightseeing, shopping, restaurants, and all that!

If you haven't already, click on the link for my report on Sportsmen's Lodge for more website links, pics, and such to all the things available that I'm referring to...:D

San Pedro is right by LAX and convient to Santa Monica, West La, Hollywood, PCH (Pacific Coast Hyway to Malibu. The Courtyard and the Shetaton are decent and reasonable hotels near the airport and also have units in Marina del Ray. Long Beach is also great, the aquarium, the Queen Mary, downtown shopping, and easy to get to Disney Land. I stay by the airport alot, and it works fine. Have a good trip

We have not been to Disneyland but would possibly be interested. Someone told me if I didn't have at least two days I shouldn't bother. However, I think we could take advantage of the military promotion they're having and get some tickets for a decent price.

How far is it from Long Beach or San Pedro? Could I just take a shuttle to/from there or is there another way?

We have not been to Disneyland but would possibly be interested. Someone told me if I didn't have at least two days I shouldn't bother. However, I think we could take advantage of the military promotion they're having and get some tickets for a decent price.

How far is it from Long Beach or San Pedro? Could I just take a shuttle to/from there or is there another way?

You can do DL in one day. I wouldn't try both the parks in the same day (Cal. Adventure), but unless you're a Disney fanatic, I wouldn't worry about doing both. (there's some people who probably think you need to have a week to do Disney:rolleyes:)

Hi Laura. Before our April cruise on the Mariner we did 2 days at Disneyland and shuttled from there to the Doubletree in SP. For 6 of us, private van, it was $93 and only took about 35 minutes to get to San Pedro.

One full day was all we really needed for Disneyland. The next day the grandsons went to California Park, but were done by noon. We left there at 3:30 pm on a Saturday, and traffic was OK all the way to San Pedro.

Ann

Hi Laura. Before our April cruise on the Mariner we did 2 days at Disneyland and shuttled from there to the Doubletree in SP. For 6 of us, private van, it was $93 and only took about 35 minutes to get to San Pedro.

One full day was all we really needed for Disneyland. The next day the grandsons went to California Park, but were done by noon. We left there at 3:30 pm on a Saturday, and traffic was OK all the way to San Pedro.

Ann

Hey you!:D

We're still waiting for a Trip Report from your time in LA!;)

How'd it go?

Hey you!:D

We're still waiting for a Trip Report from your time in LA!;)

How'd it go?

It was great! We ended up splitting up because we just couldn't agree on where to stay. The Sportsman was awesome - thank you for recommending it - for me and my OH, and the rest of the family stayed right next to Disneyland. So when I say that "we did Disneyland" I was leaving out a chunk of info! We had a day and a half to each do our own thing, then met up at the hotel at Disneyland to shuttle down to San Pedro. By the time we boarded I was exhausted and so ready for the cruise, but I would do it all again.

I would certainly not call us Disney fanatics. In fact, last summer was the first time my children and I had been to Disney in Florida and we actually only went to MGM Studios. We had a great time though and I'd like to go back and see the other parks. I offered to take the kids this year instead of a cruise, but they said NO WAY! :p DH and I went to the LA Disney 20+ years ago when we lived in San Diego. I don't remember if they had the CA Adv. back then. What is the difference between the two parks? Is one better than the other?

Public transportation in the greater LA area is not like NYC, Chicago, or other big cities. Geographically, LA County is huge, like the size of some small states. You can rent a car cheaply using Hotwire or Priceline. The Metro doesn't go near the cruise terminal or beaches, so you would have to take a bus.

One comment to OP- I realize budgets are tight, but don't look at hotel costs along without looking at transporation costs too. For example, Sportsman's is $10-20 more than your target price, but you will easily spend that much on shuttles from a cheaper hotel at LB or SP. And that doesn't include the time you burn up on the shuttles.

Is it difficult to find your way around in LA if you rent a car? I have absolutely no idea where anything is. If I rent a car on Priceline, do I just return it to the airport then shuttle to the terminal? I'm assuming that I couldnt' drop it off anywhere near the port unfortunately....Is that right?

Wherever you do drop off your rental (and I know someone will give you good advice about which agencies to consider), one thing you can do is drop off the others in your group or family and the luggage off at the berth and then you go drop off the rental. Then get a taxi (or take advantage of any transportation the agency provides) back to the port.

Also make sure of what the weekend hours are if that's when you are picking up or dropping off the car.

Archived