Tendering

10child

It's not difficult at all. You are brought ashore and back onboard by a ships lifeboat or a local ferry. The only downside is that you have to wait in line, coming and going, and you just can't walk off and on the ship -which is much nicer.

I just read (from your other thread), that you will be on Century. Grand Cayman should be the only port that you have to tender in. You'll be on a local ferry.

Congratulations on taking your first cruise - it's very addictive and WONDERFUL!

Patty

I would say the generally speaking, it is not hard.

That said, it could be a challenge for the elderly, or those who might be disabled. If the water is rough, you definitely want to watch your step. The crew will assist you in getting on and off if you want it.

Another post above mentioned Grand Cayman. That port has been on our

itinerary a number of times, and, a number of times the stop there has been cancelled due to rough seas. If they seas are too rough, the port authrotiy (i think) will close things up in a tender port. They don't want to run the risk of injury.

They aren't little rowboats---they're pretty large and hold about 150 people. It's a "walk on/walk off" type of vessel. There's nothing "hard" about it!

Sometimes they use the ships life boats for tenderizing

Oh, dear. Now that I've finished laughing and am down to chuckling, I'll get back to the subject. The ship's crews are great about helping you on and off the boats if you need help (speaking as an elderly person who uses a cane). I've never had any trouble, except the aforementioned waiting in line. Nancy

Oh, dear. Now that I've finished laughing and am down to chuckling, I'll get back to the subject. The ship's crews are great about helping you on and off the boats if you need help (speaking as an elderly person who uses a cane). I've never had any trouble, except the aforementioned waiting in line. Nancy

Tendering is not like this

Click on thumbnail

drawing-of-man-on-pilot-ladder.jpg.80db839baa450b0d66fd2256a2c95a7c.jpg

It depends on your physical condition and the condition of the seas in the port. If the seas are calm, there should be no problem. However, if the seas are rolling there can be a problem for everyone especially if they have difficulty with walking or balance. We've had problems in Sitka and twice in Grand Cayman. The tender was boucing up a down a good three feet. The crews are very helpful but you still have to be very careful with the timing of when you step on or off the ship.

Riding the ship's lifeboat tenders can be exciting in rough seas. You bounce up, down, left and right. (This is where the passengers get tenderized). If the front door is slightly open, it can be like a water ride. You can get your shower between the port and the ship.

In warm, humid conditions, ship's tenders are uncomfortable. There is very little air movement in the tender and the passengers are crowded together. If the ship uses local boats for tendering it is generally a more comfortable experience. These tenders are larger and ride better in the water. They also tend to be more open andf there is a good breeze.

All in all, I'd much rather dock than ride a tender.

Archived