WOO HOO!! I did it!!

grneyedgirl

Actually, I think I am probably a fool. I've been so afraid to go alone that I was willing to pay for her. And, yes, I paid for everything except she bought her own souvenirs. We only went on two cruises and they were short so it wasn't extremely expensive, but I can't afford to do it anymore. The worst part of it is that when you do something like that for someone more than once, I think they tend to take it for granted and don't appreciate it. So it's not something I'll ever do again.

But I'm looking at the cost of cruising solo and it doesn't seem that much cheaper than going with someone because of the single supplement. Am I missing something here?

Hi:), you are not a fool:(..just a human being and it sounds like

you learned from this experience.

I agree with the previous poster too. One set of port charges,

taxes, excursions, etc....

And in my opinion the most important part? As stated earlier,

you can do things YOU want to do and not concern yourself with

that unappreciative person:mad:

I have been on my own for a very, very long time and my independence

is part of what makes me who I am....Sailing solo is totally awesome

and I hope you have a wonderful time:D

Hi:), you are not a fool:(..just a human being and it sounds like

you learned from this experience.

I agree with the previous poster too. One set of port charges,

taxes, excursions, etc....

And in my opinion the most important part? As stated earlier,

you can do things YOU want to do and not concern yourself with

that unappreciative person:mad:

I have been on my own for a very, very long time and my independence

is part of what makes me who I am....Sailing solo is totally awesome

and I hope you have a wonderful time:D

THANKS! :) I live alone so I'm used to that aspect of being alone, but when it comes to going places alone, I have a hard time with that for some reason. I always feel self-conscious or 'unsafe' as if some crazy person is watching me and sees I'm alone and will target me. Yes, I know that sounds paranoid... I have traveled alone on business trips and I survived, but I was with people I work with at the destination so I wasn't totally alone the whole time.

Thank you for what you said. It does give me that little push I need to go on this trip. I think if I can do it, it will get me over that hurdle and then I can be truly independent.

THANKS! :) I live alone so I'm used to that aspect of being alone, but when it comes to going places alone, I have a hard time with that for some reason. I always feel self-conscious or 'unsafe' as if some crazy person is watching me and sees I'm alone and will target me. Yes, I know that sounds paranoid... I have traveled alone on business trips and I survived, but I was with people I work with at the destination so I wasn't totally alone the whole time.

Thank you for what you said. It does give me that little push I need to go on this trip. I think if I can do it, it will get me over that hurdle and then I can be truly independent.

Glad I could help:) another thing, most people are more interested

in themselves than other passengers;).

And honestly, cruisers tend to be quite friendly:D.

Let us know WHEN you book it:)

I really don't consider myself a great 'independent' traveler. I struggle with traveling overseas and spending time solo before a tour or a cruise. I figure its mostly that I don't speak any foreign languages and get lost easy so I worry that my trips will start out with problems.

But slowly, with cruising, I'm taking baby steps to be a more independent traveler. I've spent time solo in cruise ports where before I would just book tours in every port. I've also recently given myself an extra day or two in a port city on my own. Mostly I've done this in the US and Canada but this still helps me feel like I'm taking steps to become a more independent traveler.

I figure I've still got a long way to go.

Faith

I really don't consider myself a great 'independent' traveler. I struggle with traveling overseas and spending time solo before a tour or a cruise. I figure its mostly that I don't speak any foreign languages and get lost easy so I worry that my trips will start out with problems.

But slowly, with cruising, I'm taking baby steps to be a more independent traveler. I've spent time solo in cruise ports where before I would just book tours in every port. I've also recently given myself an extra day or two in a port city on my own. Mostly I've done this in the US and Canada but this still helps me feel like I'm taking steps to become a more independent traveler.

I figure I've still got a long way to go.

Faith

Just go. It's the best way to find out who YOU really are. It is a liberating experience. I am married, but still enjoy solo journeys far better (no offense to my hubby, that's just me). I don't have to worry about making everyone happy and just worry about what is making me happy. I have had the same feelings of "being watched", but have overcome them by saying to myself "just do it". Fear is something we all have. Overcoming our fears is up to us and this is the best (and safest) way I feel that you can accomplish it.

I am ready to go again. It is quite addictive once you take that initial step. Even when I do go with someone, they are on their own and I am free to explore what I like. I wait for no one to make decisions for me. I barge ahead. Hope you do the same.

But I'm looking at the cost of cruising solo and it doesn't seem that much cheaper than going with someone because of the single supplement. Am I missing something here?

If you shop around, you can get some decent deals on solo cruises. Plus, do not be afraid to negotiate with the cruise line (or TA), I have often found the cruise I want at a good price and then negotiated a better price from the cruise line, then transferred it to my TA. There are a fair number of cruise lines that have single cabins...pure singles, not semi twin bunk beds like the Carnival 1A's tend to be. Costa, Fred Olsen, P&O (Azura as of next year) all have single cabins on their ships and the supplement is a fraction of what you'll be expected to pay on RCI, Princess etc. Lines with pure single cabins tend to charge around 30-75% single supplement dependent on ship, itinerary (ie loop or repo) and time of year (ie peak time is generally more expensive).

My cruise next year is officially a 40 night b2b2b from Singapore to Italy, but since I booked it as a full cruise and negotiated a bit with Costa, I have saved myself almost $500 from the listed fares over and above the repeat cruiser discounting...and that includes the flights and a night in a Singapore hotel pre-cruise. It's in a pure single cabin too.

Be prepared to haggle a bit...they can only say yes or no and if you don't ask, well you'll never know how much you can get them to knock off the price. With the economy as it is now, the cruise lines are a little more open to haggling, so give it a go cos you could get yourself a bargain ;)

Archived