WOO HOO!! I did it!!

grneyedgirl

Ok...so I just returned from my first solo cruise on the Carnival Sensation. It was a 4 day cruise out of Port Canaveral (June 14-18). I flew into Orlando the night before the cruise. The hotel had a free shuttle that came and got me when my flight arrived. The shuttle also took me back to the airport on Sunday morning so I could catch a shuttle to Port Canaveral. It was so, so easy!

I must admit that once I arrived in Orlando, the nerves took over and I considered going home. After a phone call to my sister, I knew that I had to face my fears head on and just do it!! I was very nervous and excited as I boarded the ship. Once I got on, there was no turning back!!

Let me tell you...I am so very glad I took this journey. I had the best 4 days of my life!! I met some amazing, amazing people!! The only bad thing was that on the 1st night, nobody from my table came to dinner. So, I was alone at a table for 6! I was a bit uneasy at first, but the waiters were absolutely wonderful and between the various servers in the area, I always had someone to talk to.

I wish I had a video camera to record the look on people's faces when I told them that I was by myself! Most were a bit shocked that I had the guts to do it by myself.

I would encourage anyone who is considering cruising solo to JUST DO IT!! You will not regret it! I met so many incredible people. Enough people so that if I wanted someone to hang out with, I could. But, I wasn't confined to anyone else's time schedule. Now, I am so glad that I didn't chicken out! I would have missed out on the time of my life.

To all who have posted stories of encouragement about cruising solo, THANK YOU!! Each of you helped me step out of my shell and gave me the courage to do the thing that I most feared.

I am so glad you had a good time. I booked my first solo cruise for Septemer 11th on the Monarch of the Seas. I am very excited very but like you, a bit nervous. I can't wait to get through the first so that I can book the next.

now that you cruised solo there is no turning back. you'll go again and again. i did my first in 03, will be going on my sixth solo this fall.

It is funny that you say that because last night I was online looking at options for my next cruise! :)

chachi and cbtravel1, you will have a GREAT time!! Don't worry about dinner--just bring a book with you just in case. I ate my dinner alone on the 3rd night outside at a table right by the outside railing. It was quite possibly the most peaceful moment of the trip. Get on the ship and never look back!!!

It is funny that you say that because last night I was online looking at options for my next cruise! :)

I have already caught myself thinking about where I will go next. I just wish that the single supplement wasn't so high. I will just have to watch for the specials where it is reduced and not running 200%.

... I will just have to watch for the specials where it is reduced and not running 200%.

If you find a cruise line special, be sure to post it on the thread titled Post CRUISE LINE Single Supplement/Solo Bargains HERE at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=851324!

Kat 110105_emYA11_prv.gif

now that you cruised solo there is no turning back. you'll go again and again. i did my first in 03, will be going on my sixth solo this fall.

I echo your comments:D and I did my first solo in 2003 as well and will

be going on my 25th in September:D

Welcome to the world of solo cruising. I have been traveling solo for years and really enjoy it. I get to do what I want when I want, go where I want to, eat when I want to, sleep when I want to, etc. I am going with my mom to Mexico for Christmas. I haven't traveled with anyone in a long time...should be interesting to see if I can adapt to traveling with someone. LOL

Congratulations to you!:D I have been on 3 cruises sort of semi-solo! I cruised with my sister and her husband who have very different interests. So I basically was alone untill dinner and then it was nice to have someone to eat with. I loved doing what I wanted, when I wanted, and doing my own shore excursions. I've been on my own for 15 years now and don't "sleep well with others" on a cruise! :D I'm going on my first truly solo cruise 2/28/10 to Hawaii and I can't wait, I won't mind eating with others!!:)

My biggest fear is not the cruising - it's the logistics of getting to and from the airport/hotel/ship and home. I've always had my brother-in-law, getting us to and from airport/hotel/ship, etc. I think if I plan carefully I'll be OK but I have no sense of direction and fear being lost in space!!:eek: Have any of you felt this and how have you overcome it?

Thanks, Sue

Congratulations to you!:D I have been on 3 cruises sort of semi-solo! I cruised with my sister and her husband who have very different interests. So I basically was alone untill dinner and then it was nice to have someone to eat with. I loved doing what I wanted, when I wanted, and doing my own shore excursions. I've been on my own for 15 years now and don't "sleep well with others" on a cruise! :D I'm going on my first truly solo cruise 2/28/10 to Hawaii and I can't wait, I won't mind eating with others!!:)

My biggest fear is not the cruising - it's the logistics of getting to and from the airport/hotel/ship and home. I've always had my brother-in-law, getting us to and from airport/hotel/ship, etc. I think if I plan carefully I'll be OK but I have no sense of direction and fear being lost in space!!:eek: Have any of you felt this and how have you overcome it?

Thanks, Sue

Hi Sue,:) I have done it on my own for so long now, its 2nd nature.

I do a lot of the planning for those logistics ahead of time so it makes

things alot easier.

From the airport to the hotel? Depends on where I am cruising out of...

example, Port Everglades is a breeze....get my bags and if sailing out

of there, I just go outside and grab a cab. They are waiting for cruisers.

and will take you to whatever hotel you need to go to. For the ship?

Many hotels have shuttles and others are close enough for a cheap

cab ride.

In Sept I am flying for the 3rd time to Seattle so I know the routine

there.

They have something called the "Airporter"...really cheap. I get my bags,

go to their counter and for 11 bucks they have Greyline Bus that will take

me to my hotel in downtown Seattle.

It all about ALOT of help from Cruise Critic!!...I have been sailing

solo for 6 years and this site has been absolutely AWESOME with

all the stuff you are asking about!!!

If you need help and/or advice, ask away...I will be glad to pay it forward

for all the help I have received on here!!!:D

Ok...so I just returned from my first solo cruise on the Carnival Sensation. It was a 4 day cruise out of Port Canaveral (June 14-18). I flew into Orlando the night before the cruise. The hotel had a free shuttle that came and got me when my flight arrived. The shuttle also took me back to the airport on Sunday morning so I could catch a shuttle to Port Canaveral. It was so, so easy!

I must admit that once I arrived in Orlando, the nerves took over and I considered going home. After a phone call to my sister, I knew that I had to face my fears head on and just do it!! I was very nervous and excited as I boarded the ship. Once I got on, there was no turning back!!

Let me tell you...I am so very glad I took this journey. I had the best 4 days of my life!! I met some amazing, amazing people!! The only bad thing was that on the 1st night, nobody from my table came to dinner. So, I was alone at a table for 6! I was a bit uneasy at first, but the waiters were absolutely wonderful and between the various servers in the area, I always had someone to talk to.

I wish I had a video camera to record the look on people's faces when I told them that I was by myself! Most were a bit shocked that I had the guts to do it by myself.

I would encourage anyone who is considering cruising solo to JUST DO IT!! You will not regret it! I met so many incredible people. Enough people so that if I wanted someone to hang out with, I could. But, I wasn't confined to anyone else's time schedule. Now, I am so glad that I didn't chicken out! I would have missed out on the time of my life.

To all who have posted stories of encouragement about cruising solo, THANK YOU!! Each of you helped me step out of my shell and gave me the courage to do the thing that I most feared.

Congratulation!!:)

I'm a solo cruiser/traveler as well.

It does take alot of courage to step out of the social norms and create your own experiences. Good for you!

Your report is making me think seriously about trying this. I've been on about 12 cruises (just got back from Pride trip 6/6). I always have to run around begging a relative or friend to go with me and I usually end up paying for the whole thing just for the company. I end up doing what other person wants to do. I don't want to do elegant nights, I don't even really want to leave the ship, but I do both to make my travel companion happy. I keep thinking I wouldn't have as much fun alone, but are you ever really totally alone on a cruise ship? I am going to start looking at solo cruise prices and just go ahead and book one for early spring. If other people can do it, so can I....I guess. Will keep you posted and thanks for setting the wheels in motion for me.

Hi Sue,:) I have done it on my own for so long now, its 2nd nature.

I do a lot of the planning for those logistics ahead of time so it makes

things alot easier.

From the airport to the hotel? Depends on where I am cruising out of...

example, Port Everglades is a breeze....get my bags and if sailing out

of there, I just go outside and grab a cab. They are waiting for cruisers.

and will take you to whatever hotel you need to go to. For the ship?

Many hotels have shuttles and others are close enough for a cheap

cab ride.

In Sept I am flying for the 3rd time to Seattle so I know the routine

there.

They have something called the "Airporter"...really cheap. I get my bags,

go to their counter and for 11 bucks they have Greyline Bus that will take

me to my hotel in downtown Seattle.

It all about ALOT of help from Cruise Critic!!...I have been sailing

solo for 6 years and this site has been absolutely AWESOME with

all the stuff you are asking about!!!

If you need help and/or advice, ask away...I will be glad to pay it forward

for all the help I have received on here!!!:D

Lois, thanks so much.:) The cruise isn't until Feb of '10 and I'm going out of LA. Being in the Midwest makes it difficult to get anywhere without flying. But I'll be back for advice before I leave. I have found a good local TA who is really helpful about getting me in hotels near the airport or cruise terminal.

I've read your posts for the short time I've been a CC member and admire your "solo" lifestyle!;) I've gotten tips on drinks, etc. from you (so far I've only cruised Celebrity, the next one will be a new adventure - it was a great price! And you're right, I've gotten so many tips on shore excursions, etc. from CC, I hope one day I'll be able to pass some along!:)

Thanks so much for your encouragement. Sue

The only bad thing was that on the 1st night, nobody from my table came to dinner. So, I was alone at a table for 6!

I'm planning to do my first solo in November and this is the only part that makes me nervous. I don't mind eating alone (do it all the time), but to be sitting at a huge table all alone would make me feel totally uncomfortable. So . . . what I think I will do is come just a few minutes late to dinner and be sure people are sitting there. If they aren't, then I'll just go eat at the buffet or talk to the maitre d' about sitting me at another table. I don't care about getting to know the waiters; I prefer Anytime Dining anyway, but decided to do Traditional as a solo.

Glad you had a great time. I want some R and R. I always travel with others and we do so many things that I go home exhausted. So this next trip is to just unwind and relax. :D

Your report is making me think seriously about trying this. I've been on about 12 cruises (just got back from Pride trip 6/6). I always have to run around begging a relative or friend to go with me and I usually end up paying for the whole thing just for the company. I end up doing what other person wants to do. I don't want to do elegant nights, I don't even really want to leave the ship, but I do both to make my travel companion happy. I keep thinking I wouldn't have as much fun alone, but are you ever really totally alone on a cruise ship? I am going to start looking at solo cruise prices and just go ahead and book one for early spring. If other people can do it, so can I....I guess. Will keep you posted and thanks for setting the wheels in motion for me.

This is exactly what I do (paying for others to go with me)---and I'm tired of doing it. I have a friend I usually travel with. She loves to travel and we have similar interests so she's a good person to go with, but she can't afford it so if I want to go with her, I end up paying for everything. I've been thinking about going solo for a long time but just haven't had the nerve to try it. I'll have to work up some courage and go for it!

This is exactly what I do (paying for others to go with me)---and I'm tired of doing it. I have a friend I usually travel with. She loves to travel and we have similar interests so she's a good person to go with, but she can't afford it so if I want to go with her, I end up paying for everything. I've been thinking about going solo for a long time but just haven't had the nerve to try it. I'll have to work up some courage and go for it!

Hi,:) you are certainly a good friend...you pay for everything?

You are a better person than I would be.....

Ahhhhhhhh, there is nothing like the pleasure of your own company!!! And the experience of meeting so many wonderful people from all parts of the world and the US........Most people do not understand it if they have not done it!!!

You have to be comfortable in your own skin and obviously all of us are!!!!

Nothing like it. My next one is 9/17/09 EOS, out of Cape Liberty, NJ. As always, can not wait!!!

Happy soloing!!!!:D

NewJersey222

Marie

Every cruise I've been on has been solo. My challenge is turning away the friends and family that "offer" to join me. Some even offer to pay their way, but I just won't do it.

51 weeks a year I am the go-to person for everyone I know. Locked out? I have your spare key. Short on cash? I'm feeding you dinner. In town to visit people I don't even know? I'm putting you up in my guest room.

1 week a year I don't have to care for, or about, anyone but me. I do what I want, when I want, I don't have to be sure anyone else is having a good time. I can sleep all week, or do an excursion in every port. It's heaven!

That one week each year is the only thing that let's me keep going the other 51 without killing someone.:eek:

I mostly do land tours and cruises solo. I really like the balance of time with others and time on my own.

I also take solo land trips with a 55+ group (Elderhostel) and I'm always talking about how easy and fun solo cruising is. I think its especially good for someone who maybe has never traveled on their own.

Sometime I might travel with a friend or do a group cruise again. But cruising solo insures me that I take the trip that I want to take without having to compromise.

Faith

Hi,:) you are certainly a good friend...you pay for everything?

You are a better person than I would be.....

Actually, I think I am probably a fool. I've been so afraid to go alone that I was willing to pay for her. And, yes, I paid for everything except she bought her own souvenirs. We only went on two cruises and they were short so it wasn't extremely expensive, but I can't afford to do it anymore. The worst part of it is that when you do something like that for someone more than once, I think they tend to take it for granted and don't appreciate it. So it's not something I'll ever do again.

But I'm looking at the cost of cruising solo and it doesn't seem that much cheaper than going with someone because of the single supplement. Am I missing something here?

Sounds to me like you aren't having a lot of fun having company:

1) Begging people to join you

2) Paying for said begged person

3) Doing whatever the other person wants to instead of what you want to

I started with land trips on my own, saw how easy it was and moved onto cruises. I go when I want, where I want and do what I want on my trips. No one makes me feel guilty about where I'm going or what I am or am not doing.

But I'm looking at the cost of cruising solo and it doesn't seem that much cheaper than going with someone because of the single supplement. Am I missing something here?

First of all, even if you pay double for the cruise itself, by paying for someone else to go along you are paying:

- double taxes on the cruise

- double tips

- double airfare

- double excursions

So, yes, it IS more expensive for two people to go. Plus by going alone, you are not WASTING money (and precious port time) by paying for activities you don't enjoy!!!

Also, for many cruises, you might be able to pay less than double for the cruise itself - for example, my cruise is "only" 165% and others have consistently found cruises for 150-175%. Sometimes, especially last-minute, you might find it even cheaper (a lot of Carnival Holiday sailings are at 130%). So yes, you can cruise cheaper by going by yourself.

All that aside, I am cruising solo in September because I want to. After going to London with a friend and not being able to do what I wanted to do, I decided that for Alaska, I would not compromise on itinerary/excursions. So I am going alone :) and looking forward to it!!!!

First of all, even if you pay double for the cruise itself, by paying for someone else to go along you are paying:

- double taxes on the cruise

- double tips

- double airfare

- double excursions

So, yes, it IS more expensive for two people to go. Plus by going alone, you are not WASTING money (and precious port time) by paying for activities you don't enjoy!!!

Also, for many cruises, you might be able to pay less than double for the cruise itself - for example, my cruise is "only" 165% and others have consistently found cruises for 150-175%. Sometimes, especially last-minute, you might find it even cheaper (a lot of Carnival Holiday sailings are at 130%). So yes, you can cruise cheaper by going by yourself.

All that aside, I am cruising solo in September because I want to. After going to London with a friend and not being able to do what I wanted to do, I decided that for Alaska, I would not compromise on itinerary/excursions. So I am going alone :) and looking forward to it!!!!

Wow...thanks for pointing out all of that. I do see that it would be much cheaper going alone. I live in NJ so I can cruise out of Cape Liberty, which I have not tried yet. So if I go alone, I would save on airfare too. I've been wanting to go to Bermuda BADLY so maybe this will be my year to go alone. I just wonder if I have the courage to do it! I fear that I will get lonely not having someone to share activities with, but then when I really think about it, the last cruise I went on with my friend, we ended up doing different things anyway, so what's the difference? She wanted to spend a lot of time in the sauna and I took a spin class. She wanted to see a show and I wanted to just walk around the ship. Hmmm, maybe it wouldn't be so bad to go alone!

Archived