luggage lock or unlocked

Jakeplays

There are TSA locks that they can open at the airport. Other locks the TSA will cut off if they screen your luggage. The Airlines say no to locks, but Carnival say luggage should be locked. The TSA lock cost a little more, but I would say they are worth the cost.

I lock my house when I leave it. I lock my bags when they are going to be out my site. Use TSA approved locks. Official inspectors have the keys to them. If the ship wants access to my bags they can open call me to the "room" and I will open the bags for them. I also use plactic ties so that I can tell if they have been opened.

In 10 years of cruising we have never locked.....never put anything of value in checked luggage. Never had a problem. I have heard plenty of complaints of stolen items from airports even with TSA approved locks........I have not heard of any complaints of stolen items at cruise ports.........

If you feel safer locking them then lock.......

I just use twist ties to secure my luggage. I know this won't protect my luggage from someone tampering with it, but it keeps it from opening up during handling. I've seen more than a few suitcases sitting partially opened at someone's cabin door - one lady had undergarments literally falling out of the gap where the zippers opened up.

TSA locks or not... Even with TSA locks about 95% of the time, the lock is gone when I pick up my luggage. It depends on the screener, if they feel like getting the TSA code, you'll get your lock back... otherwise... say goodbye to your $20 luggage lock.

I just don't pack anything valuable in there. I am a cigar smoker... wife is a cigarrette smoker... so I usually pack about 3 or 4 separate butane lighters in the hopes that they won't take all of them. Cigarettes, it's a crap shoot whether or not they'll all be there when we land. On more than one occassion (back when I used to smoke cigarettes) the carton that I had in my luggage was pilfered...

I don't get crazy over it... What can you do? Complain? ... you get nowhere.

I lock my luggage all the time with the smaller combination locks. Never had a problem with them being broke. I don't even know if the locks are tsa approved. I've flown several times & had no problems.

TSA locks or not... Even with TSA locks about 95% of the time, the lock is gone when I pick up my luggage. It depends on the screener, if they feel like getting the TSA code, you'll get your lock back... otherwise... say goodbye to your $20 luggage lock.

I just don't pack anything valuable in there. I am a cigar smoker... wife is a cigarrette smoker... so I usually pack about 3 or 4 separate butane lighters in the hopes that they won't take all of them. Cigarettes, it's a crap shoot whether or not they'll all be there when we land. On more than one occassion (back when I used to smoke cigarettes) the carton that I had in my luggage was pilfered...

I don't get crazy over it... What can you do? Complain? ... you get nowhere.

I have flown twice where I had the TSA luggage locks on my bags, both times one of the bags was opened and it was not relocked nor was my locked placed inside of the suitcase. I think that is pretty horrible service that they couldn't even put the lock back in the suitcase. They aren't cheap and ridiculous that now I am down to only two left.

Can your luggage be locked or zip-tied or does security need to look through your belongings.........thanks

Hi Jake, we never lock our luggage on the plane because they often search the luggage, but we always lock our bags before handing over to porters, rational is that the porters don't work for Carnival but for the cruise port, I'm just of the better safe than sorry sorta personality type.

We have never had our locks removed and always made it to our rooms intact (knocks on wood)

Also when we go into port we put our electronics and laptop into the locked bag before we leave our room, since there is so many staff that could have access to your cabin, once again better safe than sorry.

Also if they are gonna find my smuggled Baileys then they have to WORK for that sucker. (the cruiseline does NOT give you Baileys if you buy from the BV department, it's a different brand and I don't like the taste so I smuggle)

Anyway we've not have problems with locks, I think it's a matter of personal taste.

Carole

I fly all the time and have never had a TSA lock cut. On suitcases, I also use a luggage strap with a TSA lock.

TSA locks can be purchased for under $5. The ones I have indicate if TSA opened them or not, and I think were about $8 each.

I must have bad luck... but I also think that it depends on where you fly from or into... in my experience NY airports are notorious for cutting locks.

You shoulda seen when I travelled from Russia back home... I flew through Heathrow...

... Aside from my normal luggage, we had to literally open and take a bite from every baby food jar that we were carrying... (let me tell you ... that stuff is nasty... why we feed it to our kids is beyond me)...

If they need to look in you bags they will summon you to a room where they will open them in your presence. Most of the ship has cameras, but if you have anything really valuable in there it would be wise to lock it with a lock.

Airlines are a different story, so only use TSA locks there. On the ship you can use any type of lock you want because they do not inspect without you there, like the TSA does.

In 10 years of cruising we have never locked.....never put anything of value in checked luggage. Never had a problem. I have heard plenty of complaints of stolen items from airports even with TSA approved locks........I have not heard of any complaints of stolen items at cruise ports.........

If you feel safer locking them then lock.......

I'm with you on this one. I've never locked any bags, never put anything of value in them and never had a problem with anything missing. I do use zip ties to keep the suitcase from accidentally opening though.

Sometimes I wonder if locks don't make the contents look more appealing to a thief.

I have heard many reports of TSA locks being cut off...seems some TSA workers are too lazy or confused to find the special keys.

I must have bad luck... but I also think that it depends on where you fly from or into... in my experience NY airports are notorious for cutting locks.

You shoulda seen when I travelled from Russia back home... I flew through Heathrow...

... Aside from my normal luggage, we had to literally open and take a bite from every baby food jar that we were carrying... (let me tell you ... that stuff is nasty... why we feed it to our kids is beyond me)...

I rarely fly through NY so maybe that is the reason. I'll find out later this year. :confused:

TSA locks are of no value in Europe or other parts of the world. They won't open without you being present, which it sounds like you found out. :cool:

Set off metal detectors in Europe, you don't get a second chance, you get a grope. :eek:

i dont lock luggage, my favorite thing is to find my bag with that tsa thing in it saying they went thru it, the bag is totally tossed around, sometimes my aftershave i keep in plastic bags will be opened accidentally, etc

small price to pay for safety

we need to start a thread on how to manipulate airlines to upgrade to first class :D

Archived