Insurance ? for Antarctia sailings

luv2cruise450

We are booked on the M/S Andrea thru OAT...we are required to have Mandatory Emergency Evacuation Insurance...either purchased from OAT or thru an independent agency. This insurance will have to be in place at least 60 days before sailing and cruise tix will not be issued without proof of such insurance. OAT wants almost $600.00 pp for this insurance. I understand the need for this insurance but do other companies offer this type of evacuation insurance for Antarctica sailings? If so...which companies should I be checking with? We are told that it must be for minimum coverage of $150,000.

Oh...one other question...I've been able to find waterproof pants for DH but I am only 5 ft tall and ~115 lbs...I am having a VERY difficult time finding any for me that will fit....they are all too long and since the bottom of the pant legs have either snaps or zippers...I can't hem them. Any suggestions where to find these waterproof pants for people who are a little vertically challenged?

Thank you very much in advance for any assistance.

Betty

I will check into the insurance site you mentioned...and as for the waterproof pants...I thought they had to be on the outside of the boots...but if it's OK tucking them inside...then maybe I'll find a pair or two to use.

Thanks and happy sailing...

Betty

You can get Medjet Assist for evacuation insurance. Yearly it is $250 per person or for short term the coverage starts at $95. I would want a lot more than the minimum coverage quoted by OAT. Medjet Assist doesn't cover some states but there are other options. So, check www.insuremytrip or www.tripinsurancestore for others. I think for what OAT is quoting it might be full coverage insurance and evacuation is just included in the complete coverage.

I, too, would get the MedJet Assist policy. I have the yearly policy (good for more than just your Antarctica expedition). The policy has $1,000,000 worth of coverage and will GET YOU HOME, NOT just to a hospital of THEIR choice. http://www.medjetassist.com/plans/shortterm.aspx

Check with AARP. They have discounts.

You don't want to tuck the pants in your boots ... the purpose is to have the water slide down the pants and onto the ground if you get wet; you don't want that water sliding down into your boots.

I'm 5.2 -- search for petite waterproof pants on REI ... I found two different styles in 2006 (one lined, one not) that worked great for me. Keep in mind that your boots will likely have thicker soles than normal shoes and your pants will bunch up over them.

To all who replied...thank you so very much for your assistance in answering my queries. I am so verrrry excited about this upcoming Antarctic sailing and I have pretty much read all the threads that have included descriptions and photos of the Antarctic sailings that many of you have already taken and so kindly posted here. And from those threads...I have taken notes of suggestions and such that you have so kindly offered.

Happy sailings!

Betty

Medjetassist looks like a great program but may not satisfy the requirement for Antarctica. Here is a cut-and-paste from their website:

Worldwide Evacuation and Repatriation

When a member becomes hospitalized as an inpatient due to an illness or injury while traveling more than 150 miles from home, either within or outside the contiguous United States, MedjetAssist will provide medical evacuation and repatriation services to the hospital of the member's choice by a MedjetAssist authorized affiliate.

You must already be in a hospital as an inpatient in order to use the coverage.

I am 5" 2' and 107 pounds and found 2 pair of boy's large waterproof pants for about $3.00 each and they were perfect; not too long and not too wide for my small frame.

When hubby and I went to Antartica we had a $1,000,000 policy that included airlift if needed. It was about $700 for both of us but knowing of someone who had to be airlifted out of the Amazon to the tune of over $500,000, we figured an extra $700 on a $10,000 trip was not a big deal.

• 3 weeks later...
We are booked on the M/S Andrea thru OAT...we are required to have Mandatory Emergency Evacuation Insurance...either purchased from OAT or thru an independent agency. This insurance will have to be in place at least 60 days before sailing and cruise tix will not be issued without proof of such insurance. OAT wants almost $600.00 pp for this insurance. I understand the need for this insurance but do other companies offer this type of evacuation insurance for Antarctica sailings? If so...which companies should I be checking with? We are told that it must be for minimum coverage of $150,000.

Oh...one other question...I've been able to find waterproof pants for DH but I am only 5 ft tall and ~115 lbs...I am having a VERY difficult time finding any for me that will fit....they are all too long and since the bottom of the pant legs have either snaps or zippers...I can't hem them. Any suggestions where to find these waterproof pants for people who are a little vertically challenged?

Thank you very much in advance for any assistance.

Betty

Betty,

Try CSA Luxe Web Direct for the insurance. Depending on your age and the cost of your trip your insurance could be les. They offer pre-existing condition waive if paid within 24 hours of final payment. Try squaremouth.com. We got a better price vs using Insuremytrip. I have no idea why as everyone on this board said the prices should be the same. I have used both companies but squaremouth sends out a nice electronic certificate with your name on it.

For the pants try LL Bean. They have them for $39.00. Remember they need to fit over your pants/sweats etc. You probably want to order them in medium, but could get both medium and small and return one pair.

Archived