Could you fly to a cruise without checking bags?

Would you fly to a weeklong cruise if you had to carry all of your bags to the gate?  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Would you fly to a weeklong cruise if you had to carry all of your bags to the gate?

• Sure -- for a cheap flight, I'll do anything.
    • Yes, I prefer to pack light anyway.
    • Why not? I have a spouse/partner to carry my bags!
    • I might, particularly on an airline that notoriously loses bags.
    • No way. Getting through the airport is enough of a hassle.
    • Something else, which I'll post.

Actually, the question isn't "without checked bags" as the thread title implies, it's "if you had to carry your own bags to the gate".

Which I could do (my suitcases have wheels and handles), and would, if the price of the flight were significantly lower. I just went on a two-week trip (one week cruise and one week pre-cruise sightseeing) with one 48.5 lb suitcase, a carry-on suitcase, and my personal item (small tote bag). The tote fits easily over the handle of either suitcase.

BUT - how is RyanAir going to handle airport security? Or, more accurately, can airport security handle RyanAir customers under this scenario? Airports are not set up to send full-sized suitcases through at the security checkpoint.

And someone is still going to have to load the bags onto the plane. I just don't see how it would save them enough money to make it worth the passengers' while.

Actually, the question isn't "without checked bags" as the thread title implies, it's "if you had to carry your own bags to the gate".

Which I could do (my suitcases have wheels and handles), and would, if the price of the flight were significantly lower. I just went on a two-week trip (one week cruise and one week pre-cruise sightseeing) with one 48.5 lb suitcase, a carry-on suitcase, and my personal item (small tote bag). The tote fits easily over the handle of either suitcase.

BUT - how is RyanAir going to handle airport security? Or, more accurately, can airport security handle RyanAir customers under this scenario? Airports are not set up to send full-sized suitcases through at the security checkpoint.

And someone is still going to have to load the bags onto the plane. I just don't see how it would save them enough money to make it worth the passengers' while.

Actually it is carry on only. So it will need to fit through the scanners.

It is not check the luggage at the gate. Needs to fit under your seat...... Maybe overhead if available space by the time you get on..

I'm a fairly light packer, so I could do it if I had to. But in reality, I prefer to check through even carry on sized bags. I like to board airplanes being unencumbered with only a large purse.

Personally I think it would be great if airlines kept the carry on to one per person and cut the size down to 20" instead of 22", everyone would be able to find overhead space, boarding and disembarking a plane would be so much easier for all.

We've never had a lost bag and the longest wait we ever had for our luggage was 30 minutes.

It's hard for many people to let go of their "stuff" when they travel, I'm forever entertained by the lengthy packing lists on these boards.

Actually it is carry on only. So it will need to fit through the scanners.

It is not check the luggage at the gate. Needs to fit under your seat...... Maybe overhead if available space by the time you get on..

Not according to the article referenced in the original post, which reads (in part):

Turns out, the abolition of checked bags doesn't mean you'd have to travel with only your carry-on. The program that's been proposed will actually allow passengers to bring as much luggage as they wish. Whatever they cannot carry into the cabin of the aircraft (there's still a limit of one carry-on item weighing 10 kilograms or less) will be taken at the gate by baggage handlers. The benefit of this system, McNamara says, is that it will cut down on lost luggage -- and fliers will feel more secure watching their belongings get loaded straight onto the plane as they themselves board. (Note: Additional baggage fees as part of this proposed program were not discussed.)

I don't see how this could possibly work as described.

Airport security will never let anyone through to the gate area with excess/oversized luggage...

...but Ryanair knows that and just isn't telling anyone.

With Ryanair as a partner, it's no wonder Costa is CCL's most profitable division.

We are flying to Seattle to take a cruise and have to change planes in Chicago. DH wants to buy new carryon luggage so we don't worry about our luggage not getting to Seattle when we arrive.

Our luggage was lost once several years ago, so we usually try to book direct or nonstop flights.

Presuming we could get the normally checked bags through security:rolleyes: (I know this isn't gonna happen but for the sake of conversation we'll play pretend right now:)) we'd have no problem lugging our luggage to the gate. Our norm outgoing is one bag checked each which are both on wheels, my purse and one carryon that's partially empty anyways. Coming back we simply add a second carryon bag that was emply in one of the suitcases when we left. There's ALWAYS more to bring home than we left with!:):D Wheels are wonderful as we do remember clearly the days without any and THAT truly was a pain having to carry luggage into and out of the airport !

I just finished packing my carry-on bag for a 24 day cruise. On the side I use for packing clothes I have a nightgown, 3 sets of undies, 3 pairs of socks, bathing suit, wrinkle free dress suit, a skirt, 5 shirts and two pairs of capris. On the other side I have my meds, a jewelry case, my cosmetics and skin care items, a pair of sneaks and a pair of dressy sandals. I would prefer to cruise with more but if my checked luggage doesn't make the change of planes at least I will have enought to see me through.

Irish low-cost airline Ryanair, which partnered with Costa earlier this year to promote and sell cruises as well as flights to ports of debarkation, is considering banning checked baggage. Our initial thought: How on earth do you pack for a weeklong cruise with just a carry-on?

Thankfully, we cleared up the ins and outs of the proposed program with a spokesman for the airline. Turns out, the abolition of checked bags doesn't mean you'd have to travel with only your carry-on. The program will actually allow passengers to bring as much luggage as they wish. Whatever they cannot carry into the cabin of the aircraft (there's still a limit of one carry-on item) will be taken at the gate by baggage handlers. (Click here for the full story in Cruise Critic News.)

Sure, the system could cut down on lost luggage. However, as a cruise passenger, I'd still consider it an inconvenience to have to haul all of my bags to the gate. Would you travel by air to a weeklong cruise if you had to carry all of your bags through the airport? Vote in our poll and post your opinion below!

I wouldn't mind lugging my bags t0 the plane if they didn't charge me the checked luggage fee................I am still annoyed that I have to pay for my bag to ride on the plane!:cool:

We fly Southwest Air which still is quite reasonable and checks two pieces of luggage pp without charging. I know that the wait for luggage at the airport baggage claim is at times quite slow, but am I the only one who is frustrated with those who bring on excessive and/or large carry on items onto a flight and then hog up all of the overhead compartments leaving minimal room for the rest of us and holding up the line for those of us who are trying to board or disembark a flight?:mad:

Archived