Just off the Pride

CruzCouple

We just got back from the 6/26 cruise from Baltimore to the Grand Turk, Freeport and Half Moon Cay. Here are my thoughts - not really a review, more like some observations.

This was our 1st time on the Pride and we liked it. We talked a lot about the decor (me and DW) and thought the classic look was a nice change from all the neon we normally associate with Carnival. I had heard some talk before we left about the nude artwork and my opinion then was that people needed to lighten up, it being artwork after all. Now I'm not so sure. There is plenty of it and it is everywhere - even the wallpaper in the hall to our cabin. So, if this kind of stuff bothers you then you should consider picking another ship. But we were fine with it.

We had a 9A for the first time and it was great. We loved the extra space and we couldn't possibly fill the closets for just a 7 day cruise. The bigger balcony made it easy to spend more time out there too. The only time I wished we had gone all the way for a suite was while waiting in the long embarkation line and looking (with envy) at the vip check-in area.

Meals were great - we had regular dining, late seating. We ate twice at the supper club and really liked that.

The dress code - I had read about the new less formal look and so didn't take the tux. In fact, I didn't take the dark suit either, just a sport coat with a shirt and tie. There were some but not too many guys in tuxes but lots of dark suits so maybe I got that wrong. I was clearly in the middle of the range but had expected to be a little better dressed than average. Live and learn.

Kids - there was a boat load of 'em. But somehow Carnival seemed to find things for them to do that kept them away from the adult areas. At the end of the cruise the CD was making his pitch for high marks on the comment cards and mentioned that we shouldn't mark that section N/A just because we weren't traveling with children. Because in a sense we were traveling with 800 children and if it didn't seem like that then they were doing their jobs quit well. And I had to agree.

All of the ships crew were friendly, said hello, made us feel welcome. The announcements were not heard in our cabin. Maybe just this cabin, maybe just this ship, I don't know but I liked it.

A week is too short, we wanted to stay longer. But I'll bet that thought is not too original.

Thanks for posting! What time did you arrive at the port and what time did you actually get on the ship? We are anxiously awating our turn to go on a cruise from our home port!

Thanks for posting! What time did you arrive at the port and what time did you actually get on the ship? We are anxiously awating our turn to go on a cruise from our home port!

We got a call from Carnival the day before the cruise asking us to arrive between 2:00 and 4:00 and we did that. We got to the port at about 3:30 (DC beltway traffic was worse than expected) and got to the check-in counter at a few minutes after 4:00. I know the times because the person at the door gave us a pice of paper with the time on it and asked us to give it to the counter person - some sort of quality control. It only took a little more than 30 minutes but if you had asked me I would have said it must have been at least an hour. After a slow walk up a very hot covered gangway, we were on board before 4:30.

This morning the ship returned to the dock right at 10:00 and we watched from the Lido deck as people started to arrive before we even cleared customs and anyone was allowed to leave the ship. It took until after 12:00 for the do-it-yourself finished and the normal disembark started. We were in the second of those groups and were on the road shortly after 12:30.

But people were arriving in cars and parking in the same spaces being vacated by the first people off the ship. I don't know what happened to them inside the port building but they did not wait in any lines to get into the parking lot.

I totally agree with OP. Had a fabulous time cruising from Baltimore. We were somewhat underdressed, too. I was really impressed by how fancy people were dressed on both elegant nights. Overall, we had a wonderful time. Kids made new friends, ship's crew were so friendly and helpful. Food was good and plentiful. No complaints!

Thanks for the informative review. Sounds like you had a great time. My husband and I are booked on the July 10 cruise on the Pride. We aren't VIP status, but we do want to get in the early group to be called in order to get on the ship to book a cabana. If we arrive early, will we be provided with chairs to sit on while we wait? I'm getting the horrible impression that if you are not VIP, you have to stand. Say it ain't so!

It ain't so! :D

There's a nice seating area, arranged in long rows they term "zones". You sit in your assigned row (according to order of check-in) and then board as your zone is called. We arrived in Baltimore just before noon and were in Zone 5. (Well, we were actually Zone 1 because we're Platinum members, but the rest of the family ended up in Zone 5, so we asked to sit with them.) The Baltimore staff is wonderfully friendly and they even provided beach balls everyone could bounce around for diversion. We loved it!

Anyway, we were on board minutes after the VIPs and in line to book our cabanas! All in all a most pleasant boarding experience.

I have found a couple of positive things in this thread. First, there are provisions for early arrival folks at the terminal. Since we have a six hour drive, we plan to be early as that allows plenty of time for the unexpected. Second, that people are dressing nicely for "Cruise Elegant" night. We do dress formally and we are pleased to hear that folks are dressing up. I suspect the "no one dresses" posts are from people who want formal nights to go away.

Doc:D

It ain't so! :D

There's a nice seating area, arranged in long rows they term "zones". You sit in your assigned row (according to order of check-in) and then board as your zone is called. We arrived in Baltimore just before noon and were in Zone 5. (Well, we were actually Zone 1 because we're Platinum members, but the rest of the family ended up in Zone 5, so we asked to sit with them.) The Baltimore staff is wonderfully friendly and they even provided beach balls everyone could bounce around for diversion. We loved it!

Anyway, we were on board minutes after the VIPs and in line to book our cabanas! All in all a most pleasant boarding experience.

Thanks, Diver, for putting my mind at rest. That's what I like to hear..."a pleasant boarding experience"!

Archived