HAL in Vancouver - transfer from airport to hotel

DaveOKC

We are arriving in Vancouver the day before our Sept 16 cruise and through Holland America we have a free night at the Fairmont Waterfront with transfers from the airport (I am flying in on my own arrangements) to the hotel.

Has anyone done this recently (it is on a HAL promotion they ran several months ago) and can you detail the procedures. My TA tells me that their will be a HAL rep at the airport to handle the transfer but I find this hard to believe since I am doing my own air (so how do they know when we arrive) and since there is no other HAL ship departing the day I arrive in Vancouver (a Tuesday).

As a frequent traveler I know how often things go wrong and how people over promise and under deliver, so I want to be prepared.

Thanks for any advice and experience on this.

DaveOKC

We are arriving in Vancouver the day before our Sept 16 cruise and through Holland America we have a free night at the Fairmont Waterfront with transfers from the airport (I am flying in on my own arrangements) to the hotel.

Has anyone done this recently (it is on a HAL promotion they ran several months ago) and can you detail the procedures. My TA tells me that their will be a HAL rep at the airport to handle the transfer but I find this hard to believe since I am doing my own air (so how do they know when we arrive) and since there is no other HAL ship departing the day I arrive in Vancouver (a Tuesday).

As a frequent traveler I know how often things go wrong and how people over promise and under deliver, so I want to be prepared.

Thanks for any advice and experience on this.

DaveOKC

Subway! The new Vancouver subway opens at the beginning of Sept and runs straight from YVR to across the Street from the Fairmont. Could it get any easier? Should be about $5/ea. All stations have full wheelchair/luggage access.

Scottbee - thanks for the quick response and I may take this back to the airport after the cruise, but I am looking for some guidance on how HAL will handle my prepaid transfer from the airport to the Fairmont Waterfront.

DaveOKC

Did you book the hotel separately, I will speculate, your "transfer" is for the day of sailing, and NOT the day before. Is there fine print, you should be looking at?? Usually with hotel, they are booked via the cruiseline as a costly package and these include transfers. I have never heard of transfers being available for independent hotel booking and never available the day before a cruise.

Budget Queen -

The hotel came Free with the cruise as a HAL promotion. We had to buy the transfers to the hotel from the airport though as part of the deal. It should obviously be for the day before since they are making the hotel reservation. I am doing my own air though. I know this is a bit unusual, so that is why I am asking if anyone has done it before - HAL has run this deal several times over the past 2 years, so surely someone has done it.

DaveOKC

We are doing a Hal Cruise Tour leaving July 12th...We will be arriving Vancouver with a hotel package and have HAL tansfers for the 11th from Airport to hotel...... by giving your prearranging flight times to HAL before hand (your TA has to do this) you will be given instructions with your paperwork comes before your crusie ..When you get your paperwork from HAL it should say the directions on the itenary letter on how to meet up with the HAL people (ours does).....your TA should be able to answer this question for you................

HAL has done this a million times, at least. When you clear at the airport, you will pick up your luggage and a person with an HAL sign will greet you.

Perhaps someone who is more tuned in to colors than I am can tell you the color of the sign.

That person will have your names, details, flight number etc. on a print out. You will drop your luggage at a specific place and go on to the bus for the transfer.

The cruise lines have people coming and going all the time and have a large staff of people at the airport who are trained to do this exact task.

In any case, don't worry as you are treading a very well worn trail.

Kimba and PennyAgain are 100% right - give the flight details to your travel agent, and the HAL "shepherd" will be there.

But if you booked direct with HAL, get in touch with them again at reservations, 1-877-932-4259. They will take the flight info you'd normally give to a TA. If you still have concerns after talking with them, ask to be referred to a Personal Cruise Consultant. That person will set things up for this cruise, and any future one you choose to book direct with HAL. The thread below discusses recommendations:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=985424

Thank you all for the assistance. I am afraid that my TA is just not familiar enough with this type of offer to be on top of things. I was at her office last week for final payment and she never bothered to ask for my flight info. This weekend I got to thinking about how it would work so I thought it best to post the question here. As a seasoned traveler, I know how often things do not go as you think they should so one should be over prepared. After all, you are on a vacation and really do not need more headaches!

This trip is confusing enough as I am taking my 85 year old mother along PLUS my wife is traveling a different airline than my Mom and I (long story), so she will be getting in well before us. The more details I can handle now the better.

Thanks again to all the helpful posters.

DaveOKC

Do have a wonderful vacation and cruise! A fall back position for you and your family on the day of arrival is taxi service. For about US$36 per car load plus a tip you can ride to your hotel in comfort without waiting for a bus to fill up.

It may be a reasonable alternative for you and your mother.

Pennyagain - thanks for the idea and I will keep it in mind. Its just that I hate to have to pay again for something I already paid for (I am cheap that way). Also, my wife arrives 3 hours before us so I am hoping she can go right to the hotel with HAL.

Now I am trying to figure out how to handle the baggage situation - should I take all myself or have my wife take one. I need to find out if the United and AMerican luggage areas are all together at VYR.

DaveOKC

Each take your own bag. We also cross pack so that if one bag goes missing, we still have clothes for both husband and wife. Keep all essentials in your carry on bags including your Mother's medicines. Never check a bag with medicines!

Yes, I understand about not wanting to pay for something twice, but I would trade US$36 plus tip for a couple extra hours in Vancouver any time....and do. I always ask the cruise greeters if the bus is about to depart or just starting to fill up. You pay a lot of money for your trip. Figure the cost by the hour of waiting for a bus to fill and make your own decision.

Yes, the taxi drivers do take US$ and quote a fair rate.

Bon Voyage!

Good tip about the cross packing. We do the same thing - bags do get lost.

The only reason I though perhaps I should take both bags (even though it will cost a bit more) is that she would not have to hassle with a bag if she went on to the hotel (aren't I just so considerate!).

I will talk to the TA in a couple of days and give her our airline schedules and see what she or HAL recommends about the transfers.

Thanks for all your input. It really helps make the trip more enjoyable when you know what to expect.

We took a Carnival cruise with a group of 24 in Feb - most were first time cruisers. THey all thought I was sooooo smart with all the tips and advice I gave them - of course I got it all from these message boards!

DaveOKC

Archived