Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

They were hot on trail but it seems the organizers ran out of money. The members of ABBA themselves were going to donate a lot of artifacts, but frankly, they are pretty humble and like a lot of Swedes don't really care for a lot of attention like that, that's just my opinion of course. ABBA themselves could easily put up the money, but, well, it's just not like them.

Al

Well, either way, I'm sorry we're going to miss the opportunity. I'm giving away my age, but ABBA was one of the truly innovative and original groups out there when I was growing up. I still listen to their music...and so do my 12 and 16 year old kids. Timeless...that's the best way to describe them in my opinion. And it's nice to hear that they're not attention-starved. So refreshing in this day and age. Thanks a bunch for the info.

Tami

I live in Stockholm and love all the cruiseships that are comming here all the summer.

Do you need any information about the town or transportation, just ask and I will try to answer....

It's been awhile since there were any postings here so hope you are still available for questions. How easy is it to get a taxi? We will be in Stockholm on May 14 and were looking at the HOHO bus but concerned about possibily having to wait 40 minutes for a bus. If there are taxis, are they dependable? Is there one taxi company that is more trustworthy than others. Can a taxi be picked up anywhere or are there taxi stands. Any help you can provide would be most appreciated. Hope to hear from you.

Sandy :)

We will be on Stockholm arriving on the Constellation August 26 at Stadsgarden Terminal.

Our group of 5 adults would like to take go to the Vasa Museum and do a bit of shopping.

Is it best to hop on the HoHo bus by the terminal or are there usally taxis at the terminal that we can hop on. . will they take 5 adults? If not, is it possible to prearrange a taxi prior to arrival and maybe have them take us on a bit of a tour too?

After the Vasa what would be the best way to get to the shopping area?

Many thanks.

Hi-We are on the Disney Magic and will be in Stockholm on Monday, June 21st from 7:30am-1:00pm. We were supposed to leave at 4:30 but because of the tidal conditions on that day we have to leave earlier in order to make it back to Dover, England on time. We are docking at the Frihamnen port. My plan was to take bus 76 to the Vasa Museum, visit Skansen and then go to the Gamla Stan. Now I think we will only have time for the Vasa and Gamla Stan. My plan now is to be at the Vasa by 8:30 when it opens and then take the ferry to the Gamla Stan and walk up to the Royal Palace then catch the bus back to the port. Given the time frame, how much time can we spend at the Vasa and what time should we be on the bus heading back to port. I am also wondering how long it take to walk from the ferry dock to the Royal Palace. Sorry if this sounds confusing and thank you for your help and input. Also should I just buy the transport card or individual tickets. We are a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids ages 9 and 11).

Thanks,

Carol

according to Google Maps its approximately a 9 minute walk from the Royal Palace to Kungstradgardsgatan; but there is a caveat that some sidewalks might be missing so question one is: is it walkable? and question 2 : is it possible to get a taxi from there to go to the Vasa?

thanks in advance for any help

Larry

according to Google Maps its approximately a 9 minute walk from the Royal Palace to Kungstradgardsgatan; but there is a caveat that some sidewalks might be missing so question one is: is it walkable? and question 2 : is it possible to get a taxi from there to go to the Vasa?

thanks in advance for any help

Larry

From the palace to Kungsträdgårdsgatan (the street that runs along side the park) is just across the bridge. The sidewalks will be there. You can find taxis from that area without problem. Beware of "black cabs" though. These are rouge taxis that tend to prey on unsuspecting tourists. Stick with one of the major companies:

Taxi Stockholm

Taxi Kurir

Top Cab

Taxi 020

Have a good time

Al

I keep reading about the old homes in Djurgarden..are they talking about Skansen or is there a different area with old homes in Djurgarden? If so, is there transportation from Vasa?

Thanks for your help.

Pmat

Ok I figured it out. We are docking at Frihamnen. Do I understand correctly that we should take the bus 76to Djurgarstron to stop at Vasa museum. Then get on the hoho boat to get to Gamla stan. Then bus 76 back to Frihamnen?

That is a good way to go if you are docked in Frihamnen. July 10 is a Saturday, this bus runs on Saturday but not on Sunday. Remember that you can not pay the bus driver, you have to buy som kind of ticket at the info shop on the quay before walking to the bus stop.

Here is a link to a map that may be helpful: http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&ll=59.327717,18.096457&spn=0.025264,0.04858&t=h&z=14

I keep reading about the old homes in Djurgarden..are they talking about Skansen or is there a different area with old homes in Djurgarden? If so, is there transportation from Vasa?

Thanks for your help.

Pmat

I am not sure what you refer to, but it may be the buildings inside the Skansen museum. Skansen is a fairly large area where old buildings from many Swedish regions have been brought together. During the season, when you enter a building, there will often be someone inside dressed as the owner once would have been. This is a guide who can tell you more about the building and life inside it.

Since Skansen is a place with a lot to see it is a good idea, if you decide to go there, to think a bit about what you want to do there.

Here is alink to find out more; http://www.skansen.se/pages/?ID=221

Thanks for your help.

Pmat

The area where most of the international diplomats live is near there, including the American Ambassador's residence and the American Embassy. The area is called "Diplomatstaden", and has some of the nicest homes in Stockholm. I'ts not far from the bridge.

Enjoy,

Al

all -

First thanks for all your previous help. I've got a real odd question. My wife has a few Holiday Santa's from the Ljunstroms company of Sweden. Does anyone know where we might find them for sale in Stockholm? I've been to the company website, and sent them an email, to which they have not replied. They are physically located WAY to far south of Stockholm to get to in one day. . . Thank you

Tom Skirbunt

skirbyz

I live in Stockholm and love all the cruiseships that are comming here all the summer.

Do you need any information about the town or transportation, just ask and I will try to answer....

We will be coming to Stockholm on Eurodam(Holland & America) on Friday 18th June for one day and would like to do a organised cycle ride around Stockholm. Can you recommend a firm as we are experienced cyclists and would like a good long ride of about 20 miles in 3 hours or perhaps hire two bikes and do the ride ourselves would be better for us. Do you know where we would dock?

Hope you can help

Jill and Clive George

England.

We will be arriving on a Friday, May 14, at S167 but we do not dock until 10am. Currently the plan is to go first to Vasa - probably by HOHO boat. We are interested in Gamla Stan as well as a tour of City Hall (10,11, noon, 1 & 2). Given the tour times it seems like we should go to Gamla Stan from Vasa and do the later tour of City Hall. If we should dock earlier than expected and can get through Vasa earlier then we would like to include the changing of the guards.

1) best way from Vasa to Gamal Stan? ferry?

2) best way from Gamla Stan to City Hall?

3) best way from City Hall to ship?

4) best way from Gamla Stan to ship?

Would appreciate any help/comments :confused:

Just wondering if there is any where we can go to use the internet to check e mails for a resonable price? We plan to go from Frihamnen to vasa museun to gama stan. So any where in that travel plkan would be great. Does your public library offer free internet to tourists? thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Are there generally taxi's at the dock? We will be at Frihamnen. We want to go to Sodermalm. I have taken note of websites where I can reserve one in advance. Thanks. Marlyne

Are there generally taxi's at the dock? We will be at Frihamnen. We want to go to Sodermalm. I have taken note of websites where I can reserve one in advance. Thanks. Marlyne

I have just done my first post on my new Stockholm Blog and it just happens to be about Taxis in Stockholm check it out.

http://www.thestockholmer.com/2010/04/08/stockholm-taxi-tutorial/

Hope this helps,

Al

Thanks so much for your Taxi Tutorial, Al. It was very helpful, especially since we'll be docking at Frihamnen and need to get rather quickly to a tour of Gamla Stan that we've booked. I think taxi will be the best way there, and being able to book one ahead of time is wonderful.

Thanks again for all the information!

Tami