AE mini suite Diamond Princess information

Aussie Bruce

Can anyone help please. We have been offered an AE or better suite on the Diamond Princess and the price is very good. But I notice there are only two AE suites on the deck plan and they seem to have a strange shaped balcony. In the worst case event that we get one of these suites has anyone travelled in one or seen the difference.

We had the same situation and ended up in an AC mini. The AE does have a nice balcony - but the beds can not be joined and the room layout is a bit odd (you enter by walking between the beds). There is no tub since this was designed like a handicap accessible cabin.

The AEs are not considered very desirable - but since there are only two of them, the chances of being assigned one is small.

Can anyone help please. We have been offered an AE or better suite on the Diamond Princess and the price is very good. But I notice there are only two AE suites on the deck plan and they seem to have a strange shaped balcony. In the worst case event that we get one of these suites has anyone travelled in one or seen the difference.
These are mini-suites, not full suites, just so you know. The mini-suites have a larger bathroom, full-sized tub/shower, 2nd area in the cabin with a couch, table, chair and 2nd TV, and a decent-sized balcony.

On our most recent cruise on the CB, we had a Guarantee for an AE and were upgraded to an AD before sailing. Like a previous poster said, there are only two of them. However, there is still a chance you may get one and the beds don't push together.

It's a risk, but one that we didn't see as a big one.

Good luck

Not only do the beds not push together in these minisuites, but it is basically a handicapped accessible bathroom with a roll in shower. This shower is really just a showerhead on the wall with a curtain that pulls around the shower area and a drain in the floor. If the ship is rocking anything on the floor is likely to get wet. The toilet is also at the typical handicapped (slightly higher than normal) height.

Not that this issue was raised, but I think Princess does a disservice assigning an able bodied person to an accessible cabin for a couple of reasons. First, a disabled person may need the cabin otherwise assigned to the able bodied individual. Second, there are several disadvantages to such a cabin (shower and bed set up being two). Personally, if I book mini-suite, I expect and want beds that can be pushed together and a nice bathroom with a bathtub. And that shouldn't change just because I may pick a guarantee or may not mark my record "do not upgrade."

Not that this issue was raised, but I think Princess does a disservice assigning an able bodied person to an accessible cabin for a couple of reasons. ."

While I agree with you in principle, in this particular case the specific cabins being discussed in this thread are not actually classified as accessible cabins by Princess. They were intended to be such but due to a design flaw (standard width door, not wide enough for a wheelchair) they cannot be classified as accessible.

That being said, however, Princess does not seem to restrict who books the accessible cabins. I was looking to book a cruise today and liked the location of a certain cabin. My TA checked and said she could book me into that cabin, then I noticed that it was an accessible cabin so I booked a different one. Neither my travelling companion nor I require an accessible cabin so I certainly would not knowingly book one.

Some people are mistaken about some of the AE mini-suites. The ones on the Emerald deck are not handicap, the beds do go together and the tub/showers are normal. We have sailed in this cabin and selected it spefically becuase of the extra large balcony. It is classified as an AE because it is in the back, but on our Alaskan cruise last Oct, we notice no increase in movement because it is in the back.

Some people are mistaken about some of the AE mini-suites. The ones on the Emerald deck are not handicap, the beds do go together and the tub/showers are normal. We have sailed in this cabin and selected it specifically because of the extra large balcony. It is classified as an AE because it is in the back, but on our Alaskan cruise last Oct, we notice no increase in movement because it is in the back.

The mini-suites on Emerald are category AD, one level above AE. There are only 12 of them and they are in relatively high demand because, unlike all the mini's on Dolphin, they are covered and private (except that your next-door neighbors can look around the partition). You are correct that the two nearest the stern also have larger than normal balconies, just like the AE's on Dolphin.

My understanding is that the farthest aft Dolphin mini's on the newer ships (Crown, Ruby, and Emerald) are not set up as accessible cabins but like normal mini-suites. However, they still have the larger than normal balconies. This may also be the case on Caribbean - not sure.

Rich

Archived