island hopping?

HavaneseMom

My husband and I are going to Maui in September, though not on a cruise this time. Is it possible to island hop (without flying)? Do they have ferries or is this a silly question?

Thanks!

This is not a silly question because I was thinking it too!!! I am going to Oahu in April, not on a cruise either, and I want to go to at least one other island.

My husband and I are going to Maui in September, though not on a cruise this time. Is it possible to island hop (without flying)? Do they have ferries or is this a silly question?

Thanks![/quote

Our Super Ferry went belly up after only a short time in service. We have 2 Inter-Island airlines-Hawaiian Air and Go-I fly to Honolulu from Kona all the time for approx $45 each way and in about 45 minutes.

Thanks!

From Maui, there is a daily ferry to Lanai and Molokai. Here's links with the info: http://www.molokaiferry.com/ and http://www.go-lanai.com/

To get to the other islands, you have to fly (quick, inexpensive and relatively painless...as long as you don't have a lot of luggage, of course).

Just got done pricing an excursion from Oahu to Hawaii to see the volcano's

Air and tour $$$$$$$$$$$$ 239 per person.

That means the three of us will be spending over 700 dollars for this. (Ouch)

This was through a famous reputable tour company that we have used before.

Any ideas or help in this matter appreciated.

Thanks

Any ideas or help in this matter appreciated.

Thanks

I've never done the VNP day-trip from Oahu like you're planning so I can't comment on the price. However, if I were you, I'd call the hotel you're staying at on Oahu and ask to talk with their tour desk or concierge. They might be able to help you with other options - and discounts arranged through the hotel.

Good luck!

My husband and I have been considering a hawaiian vacation and I was just pricing inter-island jaunts this weekend. I decided it was a lot less expensive to book a flight and rent a car than use a tour, and sometimes it was cheaper by 50%. I actually stopped here to add cruises to the comparison. I did not know about the island ferries so that is where I am headed to research now! Thanks!

I do want to add a thought about tours vs renting a car and driving. First, if you are staying on an island for a length of time (other than if you are staying in Waikiki, imo), car rental is a great idea. But even if you rent a car, you might still want to consider a tour. It all depends upon your goals. Example - renting a car for a circle island tour on Oahu vs taking a Roberts tour. If there is more than one person, inarguably, the car rental would be less expensive. However, you will not have the benefit of a guide who can point out the islands off the coast and tell you about how Kamehameha paddled around the island to reach a certain point and what that meant to the island. Or how he fought off the attacks that were attempted through the Pali Pass. Or point out the turtle families in a cove, etc. Likewise in VNP - you can drive and look at the volcanoes and lava and have a great day. Or, you can take a tour to the park and learn about the legends associated with Madame Pele, the legend of the flowers, the history of the lava flows, etc.

Not saying that one way is right or wrong. Just wanted to throw out the idea that there are advantages to tours. I've done it both ways and enjoyed myself in all circumstances. However sometimes I think that first-time visitors can gain a lot from a guided tour that they wouldn't otherwise get - even with guide book in hand.

Sigh... I missed these boards :) I have been pushing for another cruise so I can have an excuse to visit but now I see that I don't have to! Thank you all for your great responses. I'm going to check out the inter-island options you've mentioned. What a bummer about the superferry though

It is too bad the Super Ferry did not make it, but it ran into a LOT of opposition from the environmental groups. You also have to remember that the ferry was not much cheaper than an inter island airline ticket and the ride took hours and hours. So, it was not good for a quick day trip to another island. What it was good for was taking your own car to another island. Although the ferry never made it to the Big Island during its short life, our plans were to take our car (SUV) over to Oahu and shop for stuff we could not carry on an airplane, pack it all into the car and be able to get it all back here. Oh well :(

Inter island flights combined with a rental car are a great way to spend a day while in the islands.

• 1 year later...

Archived