Talk me into Alaska... (based on 'wouldn't want to go to Alaska' thread)

Wishing on a star

Original poster here....

I KNOW that there is such a magnificent grandeur to Alaska... But, it is hard to really 'feel' that when you've never been. I lived close to the Smoky Mountains.. and I have been to Colorado.

It is not 'Alaska', (which I know must be just magnificent!) as much as it is having to compromise on the ship - PLUS - after the last trip I mentioned with 20 inches of rain... I suppose I am just fearing the worst... Not trying to go in anticipating disappointment, as much as fearing the worst. It is easy to be like the above poster - thinking about not seeing a thing thru the rain and fog, being cold and huddled up trying to stay dry under a raincoat the whole time...

Wow, TWO mentions here of the Radiance... That ship seems just wonderful!!!

Now, if she would just do a Seattle R/T itinerary with a few good destinations. A girl can wish!!!!!

Thank you to everyone!!!

Why do you have to compromise on the ship? If the Hal ship doesn't seem cheery enough for you, there are plenty of other ships that travel to Alaska. Pick a different one.

Why is HAL your only option? There are other ships that do RT from Seattle.

Good question.

Well, our first thoughts were that we wanted a ship that would cruise Glacier Bay. I can't imagine a cruise without seeing that. And, many cruises do not go there. We love that the fact that the Amsterdam goes to Glacier Bay, As well as docks all day in Juneau so that we could go on a smaller-ship tour to Tracy Arm Fjord/Sawyer Glacier. That sounds amazing.... Maybe some closer whale encounters on that one too.

Somebody else just mentioned the RCCI Serenade.

I think I will go double check their itinerary!!!!

Good question.

Well, our first thoughts were that we wanted a ship that would cruise Glacier Bay. I can't imagine a cruise without seeing that. And, many cruises do not go there. We love that the fact that the Amsterdam goes to Glacier Bay, As well as docks all day in Juneau so that we could go on a smaller-ship tour to Tracy Arm Fjord/Sawyer Glacier. That sounds amazing.... Maybe some closer whale encounters on that one too.

NCL goes to Glacier Bay. See if NCL floats your boat more than HAL :D

I also live near Buffalo and just got back from the Radiance. They tell me we had nothing but rain when I was away and we only had two mornings with a bit of rain the whole 10 days I was in Alaska. You are going to love it. When your prepared for the worst it can only go up from there.

Hi Larmaro

Yes, we know Ancaster very well - have been there or near there or through there many times on our way to hockey tournaments for my son and daughter for the last 15 years - yikes! We are done with all that stuff now cuz they are in their 20's.

Anyway, could you please tell me about the entertainment on the Radiance?

What live shows did you have, if you chose to see any - or any lounge acts and the cruise director.

Also, is there internet connections in the staterooms?

Thanks so much!

I grew up in Chautaqua county! Can you send me some beef on weck?

I wasn't too excited about my 1st Alaska cruise, was blown away once we got there. My favorite destination ever,now.

I had read reviews, books,etc.. but no one seems to be able to accurately describe the beauty of it.

To the OP: Try it, you'll never know unless you go.:o

Wow, renalrn (is that short for renal nurse, by any chance? cuz that's what I am also) Small world - we just bought a Lakehouse right on Chautauqua Lake at Quigley Park / Cheney Point!! Yeah, there's nothing better than beef on weck. (and not many people can spell chautauqua;)

Yes, that is the abbreviation. When I left UB I hightailed it to S Florida, took ten years there to thaw out. Funny that I mis-spelled Chautauqua- guess I've been away too long! I actually grew up on Lake Erie (beach was my backyard) but we'd canoe alot in Chau. and Cassadaga Lakes.

That's a great place in the spring/summer/fall, hope that you enjoy it.

Please come back after your trip and tell us how you liked it.

I've been there with Celebrity and RCCL, this August we're doing NCL (never sailed them before).

I know that you'll love your trip!

Good question.

If you are planning for next summer the Amsterdam will be doing a 14 day itinerary that does not include Glacier Bay. It includes Tracy Arm Fjord and Hubbard Glacier. I know because we just booked it. You need to be sure you are looking at the itineraries for 2010 as many lines change itineraries from year to year. Princess is actually adding Glacier Bay on some if its Seattle roundtrips so you might want to review that option as well.

Thanks!

If Princess is making some changes, I will be keeping my eyes on these itineraries.

I had also thought about waiting to see some 2011 itineraries, but I understand that they will not come out till the end of the year/early next year????

Hope you have a wonderful time on your 14 day!!!!

That sounds awesome.

I had just recently searched and found some pics a cruiser had posted that included Hubbard. WOW... looks amazing!

Hi Larmaro

Yes, we know Ancaster very well - have been there or near there or through there many times on our way to hockey tournaments for my son and daughter for the last 15 years - yikes! We are done with all that stuff now cuz they are in their 20's.

Anyway, could you please tell me about the entertainment on the Radiance?

What live shows did you have, if you chose to see any - or any lounge acts and the cruise director.

Also, is there internet connections in the staterooms?

Thanks so much!

The first few nights we were too tired to go to the shows but the last 4 nights we went. They were only an hour so that was good and they were all very good. The first night we went there was a comedian and my husband was laughing so hard he was crying. The second night we went another comedian he wasn't quite as good but he sang Johnny Cash songs and sounded just like him and looked like he could have been his brother. The next night was called the Piano Man it was good and the last night was a husband and wife act from Vegas. We were sorry that we hadn't gone the first nights. We didn't use the internet in the room so I don't know about it. I used the internet in an area with a lot of computers it was around 50 cents a minute. You are going to love the ship and Alaska. I am already planning to go back next year. There was just so much to see and do.

Thanks!

If Princess is making some changes, I will be keeping my eyes on these itineraries.

I had also thought about waiting to see some 2011 itineraries, but I understand that they will not come out till the end of the year/early next year????

Hope you have a wonderful time on your 14 day!!!!

That sounds awesome.

I had just recently searched and found some pics a cruiser had posted that included Hubbard. WOW... looks amazing!

Check Diamond Princess for 2010. We are going 09/10 and the Diamond is going to both Hubbard and Glacier Bay.

The Diamond Princess does say cruising Yakutat Bay for next year but does that mean going to Hubbard Glacier? I have been wondering about that also. Hard to believe one cruise will actually take in both of the big glaciers. That would be awesome if it is true.

Well, I spoke/wrote too soon. Looked at Princess' web site for 2010 and southbound cruises on the Diamond Princess do take in both Hubbard glacier and Glacier Bay. Wow! that is great. Never heard of that before.

I'm going this year end of August. Doubt if my husband will go for going again next year. I'm the Alaska finatic.

The Diamond Princess does say cruising Yakutat Bay for next year but does that mean going to Hubbard Glacier? I have been wondering about that also. Hard to believe one cruise will actually take in both of the big glaciers. That would be awesome if it is true.

It's true! Hubbard is in Yakutat Bay. And OP wanted to be in Juneau all day and we are going to be there from 6:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. so hopefully that would be long enough in that regard too.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am a warm weather,sun,beach type of person.That said I was blessed with my experience on the July 4th R/T Seattle Golden Princess Cruise to Alaska.The weather was 80/90 all week and we were blessed to have calm seas.That IMHO is the thing right there.You can have a worn carpet,wet towel,long line but to have calm seas and warm weather is aces.

The beauty of Alaska is beyond words.We had a balcony room and spent many hours just sitting there taking in the breathtaking views.We did some unbelievable things that cannot be done in the Carribbean.We went on a helicopter ride and walked on a glacier,zip lined in an Alaskan rainforest,took the White Pass railroad up 3000 feet and kayaked in a beautiful lake surrounded by snow capped mountains. We saw Orca whales,bald eagles,sea lions and glaciers calving.

Our Alaskan experience was a "bucket list" type of trip and will be relived by all for a long time to come.I am so glad that I did it and glad to have done it with my children,friends and elderly parents.

Alaska is an adventuresome trip! If you like to lay around and get sun, don't go hoping that the cruise line and weather will make that happen. While people do relax and enjoy themselves, Alaska is for hiking and exploring nature that just isn't down here in the lower 48. I came back a bit sleep deprived but entirely satisfied and happy! There is so much to see that is different. To me, the Carribbean and Mexico ports all seem quite the same. Alaska is different.

I think the way to approach it is to wait a few years until you have an overwhelming desire to go. No one should be responsible for talking you into a trip, even by your request.

Okay, I need you guys to talk me into this possible Alaskan cruise!!!

If you have to "talked into it" you should save your money and forget about Alaska. Either you want to esperience it or you don't.

Your only RCI options in 2010 are Radiance doing one-ways or Rhapsody roundtrip out of Seattle. I like RCI's Vision-class ships, but there are better itineraries for a first-time Alaska cruise.

If you don't like HAL ships and want something bright and sunny like Radiance out of Seattle - I would suggest the Golden Princess. It's a big, beautiful ship - and it will go to Glacier Bay every other week in 2010.

Archived