Guide book for Acropolis and area recommendation

chriskwarren

I am looking for a good guide book for the Acropolis and/or surrounding area in Athens. I am mainly looking for something with pictures, and some info on what we are looking at. Not interested in getting a guide or taking a ship excursion.

We have one day in port. 8am to 6pm. My plan is to head to the Acropolis first thing in the AM (via subway to Monastiraki stop), and later see the Agora, roman forum, and head the the Plaka before heading back to the ship. I have all my directions and such figured out for the day, and would just like some literature that will provide some depth as to what we are looking at.

If worse comes to worse I'll print some Wikipedia stuff to take, but perhaps I would be able to find something better.

Thanks for any and all advice!

We used the self guided walks, Acropolis tour and Archaeological Museum highlights from this on-line article for our port day in Athens: http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/greece/athens.htm

I can recommend this Rick Steves article also.

If you are looking for something with photos, this one might be good:

http://www.amazon.com/Top-Athens-Eyewitness-Travel-Guides/dp/0756632331/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247055842&sr=1-1

A lot of people like the DK books for the images, but I find them light on content.

I can recommend this Rick Steves article also.

If you are looking for something with photos, this one might be good:

http://www.amazon.com/Top-Athens-Eyewitness-Travel-Guides/dp/0756632331/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247055842&sr=1-1

A lot of people like the DK books for the images, but I find them light on content.

We took DK Top 10 Athens with us for our 3 day pre-cruise stay (along with the RS article that we had used on our port day a few years earlier) ... the combination worked well. We also had some nice guide books in our hotel room. Rick Steves book, Athens & Peloponnese is available now ... wish it had been for our stay last October when we spent one of our days exploring the Peloponnese peninsula.

The Top 10 and Rick Steeve's combined look like a good affordable combo. Thanks guys.

BTW Fafos your posts around here have basically done much of our Athens planning for us. Cruisemom42(Cynthia), we are going to Rome and your posts about Rome have been invaluable as well. Susan-M has been helpful as well with various posts throughout the boards. You guys have helped countless people I am sure that you have not heard about. Thank-you and it is deeply appreciated!!!!

.... You guys have helped countless people I am sure that you have not heard about. Thank-you and it is deeply appreciated!!!!

Thank you for those nice comments...they are very much appreciated!:)

We have used the Rick Steves' article and the DK Eyewitness Travel Top 10 Athens (given to us by my spouse's secretary as a pre-vacation gift!) for our two visits to Athens this past year and were satisfied, supplementing those with information provided at the museums we visited. I was pleasantly surprised with how much use we made of the Top 10 book.

Enjoy your trip!

Archived