Whats the best beach to visit in St Thomas?

cruiseloving

Thank you very much for your information. It's exactly what I need to know but it's going to be hard to change my mind as I had my heart set on doing it all. I have never been to USVI. My sister has been to Trunk Bay and said I HAVE to go there. A secretary at my husbands work told him he HAS to go Magen's Bay. I was really looking forward to the adventure of driving on the island. There aren't any tours that do both. Do you think if I change the car rental location back to the Port location, it would give me more time or less? So, you all really don't think I have time to do the rental car, go Trunk Bay and back on the car barge, and go to Magen's Bay with a couple of hours at each to relax? If that's an overwhelming NO, then I have to decide which to cut out. Either my husband and I go our own ways on the island, or better yet, we'll have to go back another time and do what we don't get to do this time.:)

Driving in St Thomas is an adventure but do you really want that much stress. If you do then you must simplify your itinerary. Traffic can be horrendous and unless you are used to driving on the left side of the road in a vehicle that has it's steering wheel on the left you may not enjoy the experience as much as you think.

You might want to consider taking a 4 hour excursion to Trunk Bay in the morning. Then rent a car back on St Thomas or take a taxi.

If you've got 5 people then you would save money by renting a car. But not if you go to ST John with it as it's a $50 R/T. If you rent I'd stay on St Thomas. I know where the Enterprise location is in CA but I've never rented there so I don't know how quickly they process the rental. I would think it would be a little quicker there but I can't e sure about that. Several times you've mentioned the word "relax". As erries said relaxing does not fit in with your original itinerary. I would describe your plan as akin to going shopping on Christmas Eve at 6 PM and trying to get it all done by 9:30 PM when the stores close.

Here are my suggestions since you want to drive on the Islands, relax, snorkel and get back to the boat on time. First, decide where you want to go. Then pick from the two itineraries.

ST THOMAS

Don't eat breakfast on the boat. After you get your rental car drive thru town and take RTE 30 to Red Hook. You'll come to a TEE interesection eventually. That's RTE 32, go right. About a mile or so before you get to Red Hook there will be a sign on the right directing you to SECRET HARBOR. Follow the road to your right. You'll wind up at SECRET HARBOR in the parking lot of the Condo. Park anywhere it's free. Walk thru to the beach . The Blue Moon Cafe will be to your right. Go eat breakfast. After eating walk further to your right to the dive shop and rent chaise lounges ($5 each) and whatever snorkel gear you need. There is a shallow reef about 30 yards out with the best snorkeling I've found on St Thomas. After you've had enough reverse course and head to Red Hook. When you get into town decide if you want to stop and look around. Not much to see but a lot folks like to stop at Duffy's Love Shack for a drink or lunch.

After that continue thru town and bear left onto Rte 32. You'll pass Sapphire beach. I don't think it's all that great but a lot of folks like it. Keep going and pay attention for a very small sign on the right with a dirt rod That will be Smith Bay Beach. The locals still call it Lindquist but the USVI took it over and renamed it. If you pay attention and find it you will be rewarded with what I think is the prettiest beach on St Thomas. Not too many facilities. There are porta potties and a chair rental on the left side. No food or drinks here. Snorkeling is not too good although I saw a few rays last year. It's the view that you want. You won't forget it.

After that continue on the next beach is Coki and after that comes Megans and Drakes' seat. If time permits you can stop at all of them and maybe get back to CA in time to get a Pizza at Amici's. Or just look around CA.

ST JOHN

Eat breakfast on the ship. Take a taxi to Red Hook. Don't bother with the $2 ride you have to move quickly. Take the passenger ferry to Cruz Bay. Rent a car. Take rte 20 out of Cruz bay or follow signs to "North Shore Beaches". First stop Hawksnest. After that you have Trunk Bay, Cinnamon Bay, Maho Bay. Honestly each one is nicer than the last. I have trouble deciding which one to go to. If you really want to snorkel the trail at Trunk Bay is nice but it's usually unusable in the winter due to high surf. If you have your own gear try Lienster Bay. It's past Maho and you really should have a good map for all this. When we go to St John we pack a cooler with lunch. A couple of the beaches have snack bars, I think Trunk is one of them. When you're done head back to Cruz Bay and visit Mongoose Junction. Good bars, good food, good shopping all in one spot. Reverse course and head to the ship when you're all done.

Thanks Greystoke, I walked from crown Bay over the mountain to Emerald beach & it sounds similar. We've been to Morningstar a number of years ago but were on a scooter & I can just recall the road but it appears different when walking. I've got my Google map ready to go.

If you can walk over the mountain this will be much easier. I remember those mountains. It's been a few years and I'm going from memory - I believe I recall taking Rt 30 a little inland, and then you hit an intersection with Rt 315 and go off to the right on 315. You go south past some horrible resorts. As you turn left (east) there's a stretch of bougainvillea in the 1/2 mile or so before you get to the beach - good photo ops for a walker.

We spent some time on Emerald Beach a couple of weeks ago....Loved it!!...Close to the port, nice sand, attractive view (enhanced by two windjammers anchored in the bay), two great bars and restaurant, uncrowded and WC facilities...However, plane/jet traffic at the nearby airport is certainly notable. It didn't bother us, we actually found it entertaining, but for some it could be an issue.

owsaw,

what do you mean by "WC facilites". I'm hoping for wheelchair, but......

Thank you,

Robyn

jimf41, thanks again for all your help with my planning.

It's funny what you said about shopping on Christmas Eve as I don't enjoy shopping to begin with and I never go on Christmas Eve because of the crowds, not the stress. I don't get stressed too easily.

It's just that I love adventure and exploring and when I go on vacation I want to see and do as much as I possibly can. My husband on the other hand, loves to just relax on a beach with a book and he's a happy camper!

After much thought, I think I'll rent the car and do your tour plan of St. Thomas, making sure I leave enough time for Magens Bay to keep my hubby happy. Hopefully, we'll get some decent snorkeling at either Secret Harbour, Smith's Bay or Coki Beach.

I think whenever I'm able to come back in the future, I'll do St. John when I can spend more time and visit all the beaches you mentioned. I'd hate to rush my family over there to find out that the underwater trail at Trunk Bay isn't good due to weather and choppy surf.

I can't thank you enough for all your knowledgeable input. Now I have to get my head to accept the reality that I won't be seeing St. John and Trunk Bay on this trip and look forward to a wonderful day in St. Thomas.

Which beach will give us the biggest wow factor in terms of all around experience? I have 2 daughters 21 and 23...We will be coming on Wed march 3rd, our port time is 9 am to 6 pm...we do not venture too far out into the water...

Magen's Bay ( 23 yo and I have been there, 21 yo has not)LOVED it!

Sapphire Beach

Emerald Beach

Any input and opinions are welcome!!!

I'm trying to decide which beach to go to. I'm the only one in my group that wants to go to the beach in St Thomas. Due to recent ankle and knee surgeries I'm looking for the beach with the most gentle slope into the water since I'm not very steady on my feet yet and will be by myself.

Does anybody have any suggestions? From what I've read on this thread so far I think Emerald Beach would work, but looking for more insight.

Thanks!

Terri

I don't think so. They usually just travel the main roads. Secret Harbor is a ways from the main road.

In looking at a map of the Island, the "dollar" taxi must travel down along Rte 32 "red hook" road? How far a walk is Sercert Harbour from Rte 32?

Actually it's just under 1000 meters or about 2/3 of a mile. You walk uphill about 100' in elevation. The $ ride will probably let you off at the intersection of 32 and 322. I'm guessing at that but it's the nearest intersection along 32.

Go to godfrey@godfreytoursvi.com we went on his tour 2 years ago and were going back in Feb. Norwegian (Pearl) and will be going back to St. Thomas we went to Sapphire beach. the last time. it was beautiful godfrey will take you to the beach, shopping, and tour all for $25.00 its a deal we had a blast. check out his webb site. and we felt very safe. he picked us up and took us back to the ship. have a great trip..

I just booked with Henrys triple etours for a private tour on Feb 23rd. I had wanted to rent a car and drive myself and family around the island but my husband and sister really were opposed to me doing the driving on the island(even though I think I'm a great driver) so to keep them happy, I'll let Henry do the driving but I still get to go where I want when I want. This way,at least I'll be able to try the world famous banana daiquri and maybe a painkiller.

We are looking for a beach that does not have jet skis - for me they ruin the tropical beach experience.

Islander (are you the same guy as on VINow?) you are clearly really knowledgeable - which of the beaches with facilities (chair/umbrella rental, toilets, food) would NOT have jet ski rentals?

Thanks!

Hey, I'm also a Montrealer in NYC! LOL!

Hello Islander,

We have been to Sapphire and loved it. Wanted to try Secret Harbour in two weeks. We are looking for a nice place to spend the day while in port.(Carnival Liberty) Is the snorkeling just as good at Secret Harbour as it was at Sapphire? Also, is the water clear, and the sand nice and sandy or is it rocky at SH? Any info would be helpful. We loved Sapphire, and had a great day snorkeling. Snack bar was only opened. Is there a beach restaurant for us to use at SH? Also, how far away is this resort from Havensight? Do you know the cost to get there? We would appreciate your help-we would return to Sapphire in a heartbeat, but we thought we'd try something different(if its worth our trip) Let us know. We will be in STT in two weeks!

I'm on the Liberty, sailing Feb. 20th, in St Thomas Feb. 23rd. How was it, where did you decide to go? You're probably on the boat now, but when you get back, full report! :D

Islander,

I will be is St. Thomas off Oasis of The Seas on Tues, Feb 23rd. We will be docked from 7am til 6pm.I will be traveling with my husband, 12 and 14 yr old kids and my sister. I have a full day planned and my question to you is am I nuts to try and cram it all in? My husband thinks so!

I have a rental car reserved at the airport so I plan to try and get off the ship as early as we can, take a cab to the airport to pick up the car, drive to Red Hook, take the car ferry over to St. John, spend a couple of hours snorkeling at Trunk Bay, take the car ferry back to St. Thomas and do a little tour of St. Thomas, stopping at maybe Sapphire Beach and Magen's Bay for an hour or so each. Maybe check out Drake's Seat. Then return the rental car by 5pm to take a cab back to the ship by 5:30.

What time do you think I need to return the car by in order to get back to the ship by 5:30 at the latest. I had originally reserved the car at the port location but they told me that the airport is closer to Crown Bay so I changed the location. Was that the right thing to do? I think there are 4 or 5 ships scheduled to be in port that day.

And lastly, I am a very experienced driver but I've never driven on the left side of the road. Is it pretty managable?

Thanks,Elle

Ooh, Carnival Liberty is stopping in St. Thomas on that same day, looks like it will be hectic, 4-5 ships you say!

Ooh, Carnival Liberty is stopping in St. Thomas on that same day, looks like it will be hectic, 4-5 ships you say!

Hi montREALady,

I made a mistake, there will ONLY be three ships in port on Feb 23rd. We lived in Montreal as well, that's where my kids were born. Loved it there.

Archived