Dyea Dave??

LadyBerard

I e-mailed him on July 6th and heard back from him on July 8th. I responded the same day with a couple of questions and got a response to that e-mail today, July 11th.

Someon on the board suggested, before, that it was a good idea to put the date of your intended tour in the subject line of your e-mail and I did that, don't know if that made a difference.

We toured with Dave on July 7th. Those of you who book with him will not be disappointed. He picked us up at the dock and returned us to Skagway. We went up to Emerald Lake and he stopped wherever we wanted. There were 6 of us in his van.

We had phenomenal weather while there - in the high 70's and 80's. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to try to answer them for you.

He is quite busy with tours during this busy time in the season. I am sure he will respond to your email.

Call him on his cell phone after 9 p.m. his time. He usually answers. I don't have his number handy but it's on his website. Also, there is a very long thread with over 300 responses on Dyea Dave in this Alaska forum.

Be patient with Dave, he will get back to you! As many have said, he is VERY busy. You will definitely not regret booking with him! Touring with Dave was one of the highlights of our trip. Leaving a voice message is probably the best method to reach him. Good luck! Have a great time!

Karyn

Besides being busy, the Internet available is Skagway is terribly slow and simple things take forever to download and upload. I sometimes can not connect and very, very often get disconnected. One hour of basic "surfing" and I may be disconnected three times.

My friends know to expect several days or longer before I answer emails. My guess Dave has my Internet situation or possibly worse. His sister Ruth told me that people need to pay strict attention to being on time for pick ups as they stay on a tight schedule.

We toured with Dave and Two From Virginia (above...hope you made it home safely!) on July 7 and it was a great day. He drove us every place we wanted to go and answered all of our questions about the area. He even "found" us a bear.

When I scheduled the trip, I left a voice mail and sent an email. The next day I had both an email and a return call. I included the date, arrival and departure times for the boat, how many in the party, and where we would like to go in my messages. I think it makes sense to include the date of your visit in the subject line to help get your request sorted with others at that time.

Good luck and have a great time!

We loved our tour with Dyea Dave back in June. He was such a character, and a wonderful tour guide. We did his tour in the morning up to Emerald lake and back to Frasier, and took the train back to Skagway. The train ride was fun and offered a different view of the beautiful landscape, but when all was said and done and if we ever did this trip again, we would book the entire day with Dave and skip the train. Keep trying to get a hold of him, you will not be disappointed.

Archived