Port or Starboard - BUD-PRG on the Danube?

usavvy2

What's the best side 4 a cabin when traveling from Budapest to Prague?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What's the best side 4 a cabin when traveling from Budapest to Prague?

• Port
    • Starboard
    • It doesn't matter, the view's equally as breathtaking

From past experience you probably will not be in your cabin anyway. Most passengers normally only take a bath, change clothes or sleep in their cabins.

Normally most individuals travel in the forward lounge area or on the top sun roof area when the vessel is cruising.

In this manner you can see both sides as you cruise.

What you do want to do is NOT book a cabin in the forward bow section of the vessel as the bow thrusters will disturb your sleep as the vessel cruises along at night.

It definitely doesn´t matter. River cruise ships usually dock "nose up" (bow directing upriver) whatever direction you are going. Some docking areas are on the port, some on the starboard side. In case you do have a cabin on the lowest deck you view might be blocked by concrete wall while in port. If you are on route it really doesn´t matter at all as the view will be great on both sides. So if you want to avoid a blocked views while in port it´s more a question of which deck you are. The higher the better.

In Budapest most of the landings are on the starboard side (close to downtown). But now as Hungary is a Schengen member they also are using the landings on the other side of the river (the hill side). In Bratislava the main docking area is on the starboard side. In Vienna it´s on the port side, same in Melk, Passau and Regensburg. Dürnstein is starboard and so is Nuremberg.

steamboats

I was on the upper deck most of the time, so it made no difference to me. My wife was either in the forward or aft lounge. The view was lovely on both sides, but I like to see it all. Although the view from the French balcony was nice, it just doesn't compare to a full view. Bottom line it didn't make a difference which side we were on.

great to hear! thank you. We're actually on the starboard side on the top deck - a little past 1/2 way back. I was thinking I'd be "trapped" in the cabin with DH if he's resting but forgot how small the boat is - I can just go topside if he's taking a nap and not feel like I'm really far from him if he needs me!

Archived