Hop on Hop off bus in Rome

bandman10

As a disclaimer, I am not a big fan of the HOHO buses in general and in Rome specifically.

If you are physically able, Rome is a city best explored by walking. Some sights are not visible from the HOHO bus stops (due to narrow streets, traffic, pedestrian only areas, etc), so you cannot literally "see" everything without getting off and getting back on. Traffic makes them slow, sometimes finding the correct place to get back on is difficult, and you may find that the bus is full when it DOES arrive.

However, there are many who like them, and I'm sure you'll also hear from them as well. FYI, there are several different HOHO buses in Rome; perhaps some are better than others....:cool:

Two years ago when we were in Rome, we used the yellow (Christian) HOHO bus company. We purchased the 48 hour tickets with entry to the Vatican museum. The biggest advantage was when we bypassed a kilometer long lineup for the museum because our guide (working for the bus company) took us right up to the front of the line. We had a great time and got to see many places around Rome that we would probably miss. Also, this bus line makes 2 (or 3) different loops around the city so you have a choice of things to see.

We're going back to Rome in September on the Jade but because our time there will be limited, we're going to use the subway which is very easy to use and a relatively trouble free way to get around.

I try to get on the HOHO bus tour if I have never been to a city. The advantage is that in a couple hours, you get a overview of the city. You get a perspective on distances and you can logically choose the path you wish to take when you do decide to walk around the city.

Rome apparently has several HOHO bus tour companies. I am researching them my self and came across this website that providers some info on all of them, it may be helpful,

http://www.rometoolkit.com/whattodo/rome_hop_on_tour_bus.htm

I try to get on the HOHO bus tour if I have never been to a city. The advantage is that in a couple hours, you get a overview of the city. You get a perspective on distances and you can logically choose the path you wish to take when you do decide to walk around the city.

Rome apparently has several HOHO bus tour companies. I am researching them my self and came across this website that providers some info on all of them, it may be helpful,

http://www.rometoolkit.com/whattodo/rome_hop_on_tour_bus.htm

Have just had a look at this site. Well worth going to. It is very informative.

Thanks, Pete

Last October we had a day in Rome (pre-flight home). We had both been to Rome (12++ times) and thought that the HoHo bus might be an interesting way to spend the part of the day. We approached all of them near Termini and listened to the various sales pitches (like any new person in Rome would do). The Green line won.

The on-board dialog was good but kinda out of synch as to where you were. We got off at St Peters and figured that we would get on at the next stop. Well, the map they gave us was far from accurate (about 3-4 blocks off) and we ended up going back to the St Peters stop. We went around a full loop again and got off at one stop, planning to get on at the next. Never found the on/off signs for the green bus anywhere near where the map said it would be - we walked for blocks. Gave up any walked back to the hotel.

Another negative, the buses were nowhere near as frequent as they siad that they would be.

I have spoken to others since this, and the favorite seems to be the Red Line. Apparently their maps are accurate, and the buses more frequent.

Good way for an overview of Rome? Probably so if you stay on the top deck. If you are down below, forget it.

Hi Last August we were on the Jade and used the HOHO in Rome. We booked through viator and it was the red line. Didn't have any problems however on one of the buses the audio was not working. We took the train from Civitavechhia and the HOHO bus stop is just outside the railway station. Enjoy:)

Hi Last August we were on the Jade and used the HOHO in Rome. We booked through viator and it was the red line. Didn't have any problems however on one of the buses the audio was not working. We took the train from Civitavechhia and the HOHO bus stop is just outside the railway station. Enjoy:)

I have printed off the information from the website Pete suggested and I am wondering which is the red line. The green line is mentioned but no operator is called the red line. Can someone tell me the operator's name for these buses please?

Archived