Color accent / color swap cameras?

Ok, you all take shots that start wreaking havoc with a persons contentment with what they have. I was wondering about the pictures some of you take with the color accents, etc. What brands and models do I look at for that? Are there specific good or not so good cameras with that ability? I would like to look at playing in that field for a while. I know I can do it on the computer, but that's not as fun as playing with a camera.

It isn't the camera, it is the photographer (along with good lighting and maybe some work with photoshop) that takes the photo.

Hmmmm....I didn't use any Photoshop, those were straight off the memory card, but then maybe you don't think much of them.:D

It's hard to give a clear answer since the review sites don't really test novelty features.

I have a Canon SD800IS and the feature works as advertised. I tried it shortly after getting the camera during the obligatory tour of the features. I tried it once more after reading this post....and it still works!

IMG_8270.JPG

Now I've used it twice!

Dave

I have this on my Canon SD630 I just played with it but didn't get the results other posters got. Can you please explain how to manipulate this feature.

Thanks

It's hard to give a clear answer since the review sites don't really test novelty features.

I have a Canon SD800IS and the feature works as advertised. I tried it shortly after getting the camera during the obligatory tour of the features. I tried it once more after reading this post....and it still works!

IMG_8270.JPG

Now I've used it twice!

Dave

Hmmmm....I didn't use any Photoshop, those were straight off the memory card, but then maybe you don't think much of them.:D

Please, while my comments were not directed towards your photos, they can apply to them as well. You took the nice photos, not the camera. The camera didn't see the scene, your eyes did. Your brain correctly identified the scene would make a nice photo, the camera had nothing to do with that either.

What I indirectly was saying was that you took nice photos, not the camera. ;)

I have this on my Canon SD630 I just played with it but didn't get the results other posters got. Can you please explain how to manipulate this feature.

Thanks

When you activate the feature, press the "DISP" button and the screen will show a small box in the center. point the box at the color you want to isolate and press the <Left> arrow on the control pad (usually the same as the Normal, Macro, Infinity focus setting in normal mode) to capture the color. Press the <Up> or <Down> button to increase or decrease the sensitivity to the color. The higher the sensitivity, the more shades will be included above and below the color you picked. You will see the effect on the screen. Press "DISP" again to lock the setting. Take the picture.

Dave

Please, while my comments were not directed towards your photos, they can apply to them as well. You took the nice photos, not the camera. The camera didn't see the scene, your eyes did. Your brain correctly identified the scene would make a nice photo, the camera had nothing to do with that either.

What I indirectly was saying was that you took nice photos, not the camera. ;)

Yes, I understand.....someone can have a fab camera but it they don't know how to compose, etc. the photos can tank. I have a degree in art which seems to help a bit.;) I remember in a college Photography class, all one girl had was an Instamatic camera and she by no means failed the course.:D

BTW, the camera did accent the colors.....but I picked which ones.:p

I played around with this feature on my Canon Powershot on one of my cruises. Here are some of my examples.

2513686820059461464S500x500Q85.jpg

2346172320059461464S500x500Q85.jpg

2205149920059461464S500x500Q85.jpg

2755410780059461464S500x500Q85.jpg

2578941870059461464S500x500Q85.jpg

2950308120059461464S500x500Q85.jpg

Sure, you can do the same with Photoshop, but this is a fun and easy way to experiment with colors when composing the shot.

I played around with this feature on my Canon Powershot on one of my cruises. Here are some of my examples.

Sure, you can do the same with Photoshop, but this is a fun and easy way to experiment with colors when composing the shot.

Cool pix and for those of us who do not have Photoshop.....;)

Cool pix and for those of us who do not have Photoshop.....;)

The point is that all of the examples that you see here were created in camera and not with Photoshop or any other photo editor. I have a Canon G9 and it has the same feature. Most Canon P&S cameras have it - at least all that I have had (4 cameras). You can create the saem effect with Photoshop or Elements but it isn't as easy.

Dave, thanks for the explanation. I played around with the settings last night but couldn't figure them out. Your explanation was very clear. I don't know if I will ever use the feature but I'm glad to know how anyway.

The point is that all of the examples that you see here were created in camera and not with Photoshop or any other photo editor. ............You can create the saem effect with Photoshop or Elements but it isn't as easy.

And that was my point, for those of us who don't have Photoshop, it's a nice feature to have and very simple. I have other photo editing programs that are not as advanced as Photoshop but do all that I need so I've never felt the need for Photoshop. This extra feature, for me, is icing on the cake.:)

Maybe most all P&S Canon cameras have the function now, but that wasn't always so, at least not the ones I've had or looked at. Of course it depends on what level of camera both you and I have experience with or looked at.;)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an example I did while playing around with my Canon SX10. I love how the camera kept the bright sheen of the tomato while just changing the color of it. The blue came from a dull blue ice chest lid. It just happen to be right beside the tomato plant and was handy for me to practice this on.

1525301853_BlueTomato.jpg.8970699c2e4110438af9a0ec9f5e0280.jpg

When you activate the feature, press the "DISP" button and the screen will show a small box in the center. point the box at the color you want to isolate and press the <Left> arrow on the control pad (usually the same as the Normal, Macro, Infinity focus setting in normal mode) to capture the color. Press the <Up> or <Down> button to increase or decrease the sensitivity to the color. The higher the sensitivity, the more shades will be included above and below the color you picked. You will see the effect on the screen. Press "DISP" again to lock the setting. Take the picture.

Dave

Thanks, I will try it this week!

Thanks, I will try it this week!

Hi Dave, Ok I could follow the directions up until I chose my color ( blue). When I pushed the left control panel ( macro, infinity...) it moved my color to the previous choice ( darker skin) and I was unable to follow along after that. I don't know how to lock in the color blue before choosing the intensity. If it isn't too complicated for you to explain I'd appreciate it. You are SOOO much better than the technical explanations in the manual!

Hi Dave, Ok I could follow the directions up until I chose my color ( blue). When I pushed the left control panel ( macro, infinity...) it moved my color to the previous choice ( darker skin) and I was unable to follow along after that. I don't know how to lock in the color blue before choosing the intensity. If it isn't too complicated for you to explain I'd appreciate it. You are SOOO much better than the technical explanations in the manual!

You may have forgotten that after choosing the Color Swap from the menu, you must first enter the mode by pressing the <DISP> button (closing the main menu). After that you can point at the color you want and press the <LEFT> on the control pad. If you press <LEFT> more than once, it will choose a color each time, so if you don't see the color you want, move the camera a little and press left again. Pressing <UP> or <DOWN> increases or decreases the sensitivity. When you see waht you want, press <DISP> again to retain the setting.

Shoot!

Give it another try. manuals are sometimes necessary, but there's not substitute for "fiddling" with the controls! :D

Dave

You may have forgotten that after choosing the Color Swap from the menu, you must first enter the mode by pressing the <DISP> button (closing the main menu). After that you can point at the color you want and press the <LEFT> on the control pad. If you press <LEFT> more than once, it will choose a color each time, so if you don't see the color you want, move the camera a little and press left again. Pressing <UP> or <DOWN> increases or decreases the sensitivity. When you see waht you want, press <DISP> again to retain the setting.

Shoot!

Give it another try. manuals are sometimes necessary, but there's not substitute for "fiddling" with the controls! :D

Dave

I can't seem to lock my color in. I choose " vivid blue" showing on left side and bottom then I get lost :(...

When I close the disp mode I can't choose the intensity of color or lock the vivid blue mode in... although it is still listed on the screen on the left.:(

I did it I did it!!!!!!!!

I was mistaking color swap for color accent. I played around with it tonite before getting accosted by the eager misquitos.

I have a few questions:

1. In looking at the OP's photos I think the camera makes only the parts of the photo that is red red and the other colors are in B&W, is that right? Did the OP select a blue tone to isolate the blue ocean? I practiced mostly with green and pink while shooting flowers.

2. Can you shoot in macro or would that fill the frame too much and negate the feature because you wouldn't see any portion of the B&W?

Thanks for all your help. I am so excited!!!! ( now if I can remember how to get back to that feature hahahaha)

I did it I did it!!!!!!!!

I was mistaking color swap for color accent. I played around with it tonite before getting accosted by the eager misquitos.

I have a few questions:

1. In looking at the OP's photos I think the camera makes only the parts of the photo that is red red and the other colors are in B&W, is that right? Did the OP select a blue tone to isolate the blue ocean? I practiced mostly with green and pink while shooting flowers.

2. Can you shoot in macro or would that fill the frame too much and negate the feature because you wouldn't see any portion of the B&W?

Thanks for all your help. I am so excited!!!! ( now if I can remember how to get back to that feature hahahaha)

It will isolate any tone you "feed" it. This method works best in a scene where you have a color that stands out, like a pink or blue flower against green leaves. No rules, really. Just fool around until you get something you like!

As for macro, I think you answered you own question. If the color you are trying to isolate is the dominant color across the frame, the effect is wasted. A macro with a mixture of colors might be a different story. It's more about the colors involved than a specific scene.

Glad you had success!

Dave

It will isolate any tone you "feed" it. This method works best in a scene where you have a color that stands out, like a pink or blue flower against green leaves. No rules, really. Just fool around until you get something you like!

As for macro, I think you answered you own question. If the color you are trying to isolate is the dominant color across the frame, the effect is wasted. A macro with a mixture of colors might be a different story. It's more about the colors involved than a specific scene.

Glad you had success!

Dave

Thanks for your support and encouragement :)

Archived