Need Help With Excursion Advice

BIGDADDY2587

I'm interested to hear the answers on this as well.

A travel agent told me that Juneau was the best place for whale watching, though that's a bit expensive ($150+ / person)

And that there is a very scenic train ride in Skagway that is inexpensive.

I've never been but hoping to book this cruise ASAP!

going to be in Alaska in 2 weeks

we are looking for affordable excursions, plain and simple

is that possible in Alaska?

any suggestions for operators in

Ketchikan

Juneau

Skagway

thanks

I would suggest that you do a computer search of each port. There are many things that are free. You can always do a walking tour of each port. Also do a search of the CC board and read reviews of past cruisers. Lots of info on free or low cost excursions. Have a great time in Alaska.

I would suggest that you do a computer search of each port. There are many things that are free. You can always do a walking tour of each port. Also do a search of the CC board and read reviews of past cruisers. Lots of info on free or low cost excursions. Have a great time in Alaska.

trust me i have done many computer searches and searches of the board, that is why i asked because i didn't really find what i was looking for

I am hoping someone can help here. I had the same exact question. We are really going broke just going on the cruise:), but I don't want to miss out by just wandering aimlessly in these ports. In past cruises we have done just one or two cheap excursions and, because of the planning I did here, they really made the trip.

The best and most inexpensive excursion I've learned from CC is in Juneau. Catch the MGT blue bus at the cruise ship terminal for $7.00 a person and go to Mendenhall Glacier. $3.00 a person gets you into the Visitior's Center where there are lots of exhibits, etc. There are marked trails that vary in length, from a few minutes to hours. Then, whenever you're ready, catch another MGT shuttle back for $7.00 apiece. :cool:

trust me i have done many computer searches and searches of the board, that is why i asked because i didn't really find what i was looking for

you can try "tripadvisor.com" , just look for the city you want and check out the POI for info.

The southerly, long and narrow coastline of Alaska is particularly known for its native population heritage. Part of that heritage is represented by Totem Poles, those megalithic, carved-wooden poles featuring symbols of animals, people or spirits which are meant to convey a message to those viewing them. Ketchikan is famous for being the home of the Big Three collections of totem poles. One of the better known collections of totem poles is in Ketchikan's "Totem Bight Park." (The other large collections are in the Saxman Totem Park and the Cultural Heritage Center.) It's an odd name, but "bight" means, in this instance, "a bend or curve in the shore of a sea or river," or "body of water bounded by such a bend."

Totem Bight Park is noted for its Clan House and its 15 totem poles which have an interesting history, besides being beautiful and each having a particular meaning.

By the early 1900's the native tribal way of life was already much changed due to the growing non-native population influx. The Civilian Conservation Core (CCC) hired native tribesmen to repair or duplicate totem poles that were mostly forgotten and in dire need of repair or replacement. Using traditional hand tools, paints and pigments derived from nature, these carvers set to work and in some cases had to learn the skill & craft needed to create totems and artwork. By the time of WWII, these native artists had completed a clan house and 15 totem poles which we are lucky enough to see today at this seaside setting. These totems are attributed to the Tlingit and Haida cultures. Stop in the book shop for literature and a guide to the meaning of each totem character. Admission to the park which is open daily is FREE.

Found this information on Google

This may be outdated, but when I went 4 yrs ago to Ketchikan, Skagway, and Sitka majority of vendors was pretty much a 2 to 3 blocks away from docks or even closer to town. I'm pretty sure you can check out the tours towards town for fraction of the cost. However, it all depends on the economy too and some vendors may be out of business. Goodluck and have fun in Alaska!

I have been there twice in the last three years. Just returned a few days ago. I am pretty frugal so I can understand.

In Juneau, we were there on the 4th of July when MOST tours won't go out. So, we did panning for gold and a tour to Mendenhall. You can take the city bus there for under $10.

This time, we went on a whale watch which was my Alaskan highlight. Went with "Harv and Marv" and paid the same as the folks smashed like sardines on the big boats. Saw a super pod of whales net feeding (forgot the term). Saw many whales. Just overwhelming.

We didn't see whales from our ship the first time to Alaska, but did this time. An up close tour is so much better though!

In Skagway, we did the 7 1/2 hour Chilkoot experience taking the train part way up and then a van takes you to the Yukon. That was my highlight the first time. The day was sunny and the photos are amazing. This time we rented a car and did the trip to the Yukon ourselves, but some fires in the upper regions sent misty haze smoke so it prevented us from seeing very far.

Our first time in Ketchikan was very cool. We just took a tour from a local that you see in booths on the street. Saw all the highlights- eagles, totems, etc. This time we just walked the town.

going to be in Alaska in 2 weeks

we are looking for affordable excursions, plain and simple

is that possible in Alaska?

any suggestions for operators in

Ketchikan

Juneau

Skagway

thanks

You didn't say what range "affordable" was. But, I'll give you some things I am looking at for next year. We are taking my dad and so are looking at reasonably priced excursions that will give us a feel of Alaska.

Ketchikan - http://www.lumberjackshows.com/alaska/alaskaticket.html , followed by time around Creek Street and walking Married Man's Trail. If you don't want the lumber jacks and are able to do a lot of walking, check out http://www.adventureaudiotours.com/ for a audio walking tour of Ketchikan.

Juneau - http://www.juneautours.org/city_glacier.html , followed by a tram ride up Mt. Robert if it is a clear day. Also, a stop at Tracy's King Crab Shack for a little indulgence.

Skagway - http://www.bestofalaskatravel.com/alaska_day_tours/pages/liarsville_gold_rush.htm, or http://www.frontierexcursions.com/tour/sum_city/sum_city.html, or http://www.frontierexcursions.com/tour/s_city/s_city.html, and then stop at Skagway Brewing for lunch and a beer http://www.skagwaybrewing.com/home.html

Hope these give you a little help.:)

I'm interested to hear the answers on this as well.

A travel agent told me that Juneau was the best place for whale watching, though that's a bit expensive ($150+ / person)

And that there is a very scenic train ride in Skagway that is inexpensive.

I've never been but hoping to book this cruise ASAP!

Can you tell me where you saw the Skagway train ride that is "inexpensive"? I'd love to do this, but I'm seeing around $120/person after tax and that adds up to a lot!

Archived