Love Boat picture

A long time ago someone posted a picture of the Love Boat along side a mondern ship ( might have been altered) but does anyone have a copy of that pic...I would love to see it again.

I did find out that it was the Origianl Princess - Pacific Princess and was taken out of service in 2002.......it was just under 20-ton, 550' long, 80' wide and salied with 626 passengers. and I believe it was 8 decks.

• 2 weeks later...

My mother lived in menlo park Calf. I would go to the warf in SF and see the princess ship their, said if i ever cruised i take her. well when we retired booked a cruise on her. we had a wonderful time going to Alaska for 14 day on her ( Pacific princess) now we cruise very offen but that was the best of all had a great time She was small and we got to know everyone on board. Nice Memories !!!

• 1 month later...

Here's her history:

Pacific_Princess_1987.jpg

Sea Venture (1971-present) Built in 1971 as ms Sea Venture by Rheinstahl Nordseewerke GmbH, Emden, (then) West Germany for Norwegian-based Flagship Cruises. She departed on her maiden voyage on 8 May 1971 and would operate on the New York City to Hamilton, Bermuda run as well as on Caribbean cruises for Flagship but only for one month shy of four years.

In April 1975, she was sold (along with her sister Island Venture) to the P&O Group (Great Britain) and assigned to Princess Cruises as Pacific Princess (her sister became Island Princess). Princess would initially use her for cruises to The Mexican Riviera out of Los Angeles (San Pedro), summer itineraries to Alaska and a gradual expansion via the Panama Canal into the Caribbean. Later on, she would be used for world-wide cruising.

pacific_princess_1971_1.jpg

Princess Cruises agreed to have both these ships featured in the televison romantic weekly sitcom "The Love Boat", which debuted in May 1977 and would stay in production for nine seasons. The ship featured in nearly every episode of the series (which was filmed primarily on sets in a production studio) was Pacific Princess, although other ships also appeared, including Island Princess. The term "Love Boat" was heavily used by Princess Cruises in their marketing, and became synonymous with the Pacific Princess. The success of the television show, which remained on the air until 1986, is largely credited with the increase in popularity of cruise ship travel in Nortn America.

Pacific Princess was sold in 2001 to Seahawk North America Inc, Nassau, Bahamas, but was leased back immediately and continued to operate as part of the Princess fleet until 2002, when the former Renaissance Cruises R-Three replaced her and took her name. Pacific Princess made her final voyage with Princess Cruises in October/November 2002, sailing from New York City to Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy.

She then began operating for Spanish-based tour operator Pullmantur Cruises under the new name Pacific, sailing in the Caribbean as well as in the Meditteranean from Valencia, Spain.

pacific_1971_2.jpg

In December 2007, she was aquired by Brasilian tour operator Viagens CVC Tur Ltda, Sao Paulo. They operate her out of Sao Paulo during the Southern hemisphere summer. Between April and October 2008 she was chartered to newly-established Spanish-based Quail Cruises to operate Western Med cruises out of Valencia.

In October 2008, she was seen in Valencia, still in Quail Cruises livery, and listing slightly to port. She had failed certain safety tests, and consequently had been "arrested" by the Spanish

Authorities. This cancelled her South American winter cruise and forced Quail to use the former Cunard Countess (now Ocean Countess) as a replacement. Pacific Consequently, went to the shipyard in Genoa, Italy for repairs as a result of corrosion and generator problems. She is tentatively going back in service for Quail in July, sailing once again from Valencia, Spain.

Ship+Photo+PACIFIC.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
That is not the original Pacific Princess. The dining room held more like 300 people, not 98.

No idea. The listing claimed it was the original Pacific Princess. The one from the 70s ... and it was that small, hubby and his family sailed on her back then. It looks rather like what I remember her looking like on TV in profile. I suppose I could email them and ask...if it is that important.

Don't kill me for posting in good faith.

• 2 weeks later...
No idea. The listing claimed it was the original Pacific Princess. The one from the 70s ... and it was that small, hubby and his family sailed on her back then. It looks rather like what I remember her looking like on TV in profile. I suppose I could email them and ask...if it is that important.

Don't kill me for posting in good faith.

I am not "killing" you. I think you were mislead by false (or at least exaggerated) advertising.

The original Pacific Princess held 600 PAX. It had one main dining room and two dinner seatings, so each seating had half the PAX-300. There was no lido restaurant, although they would set out a buffet meal nearby to the lido pool 3 times a day.

This 90 person restaurant mentioned in the ad-where was that? I have no idea what that could be, as there was only one restaurant/dining room on ship, which held 300 PAX. Unless one of the lounges was converted to a restaurant, and why do that when the dining room would hold more? Besides the dining room had a galley right behind her. No lounge had a galley. The food for the buffet on the lido was also cooked in this galley and was taken by elevator to the buffet.

My guess is this "tub" may have been a "stand- in" ship for shots, a couple of times for the TV show-when the Pacific Princess or a sister ship was not available.

After the first few shows of "Love Boat," a set was built for scenes on the ship, but I am sure sometimes outside shots of a ship were needed in some story lines, more than then what we saw in the opening credits, which WAS the old Pacific Princess. My guess, by "stretching it" a bit, this seller can claim their ship was the old Pacific Princess, as their ship represented her a few times on film.

Archived