What do you do in Jamaica?

CJHAN

if you haven't been - i'd definitely recommend dunns river falls... one of the 'must-see' attractions on the island in my opinion ;)

i went to mystic mountain afterwards (minutes away), as drf doesn't take all day. also would recommend that.

but DRF is the greater attraction in my opinion :)

if you haven't been - i'd definitely recommend dunns river falls... one of the 'must-see' attractions on the island in my opinion ;)

i went to mystic mountain afterwards (minutes away), as drf doesn't take all day. also would recommend that.

but DRF is the greater attraction in my opinion :)

I noticed that DRF is part of almost all the ship excursions is it also something u an do on your own?

• 2 weeks later...
If you're interested in trying a little bit of everything, including cultural experiences, consider using knowjamaica.com and book a custom tour. We saw more in one day than you can imagine. Details on my review at

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/portreviews.cfm?EntryID=55600

I just contacted them hoping that we can have this same experience...did you arrived in ocho rios or montego bay?

I noticed that DRF is part of almost all the ship excursions is it also something u an do on your own?

absolutely. you'd just have to catch a taxi to dunns river falls (which is very close to the port in ocho rios), and pay your way in. shouldn't be much - maybe 10 minutes away.

it was part of my ship excursion so i'm not sure exactly how much entrance is - i'd assume somewhere in the 10-15.00 range.

rental water shoes (if you need them) are about 5.00, and rental of a lock for the lockers is about 8.00 (you get 5.00 back when you return the lock, though).

• 4 weeks later...

we did the canopy tour in mobay, and the tranopy in ocho rios.

we enjoyed both very much. depending onwhich port you are in can determine what you can do.

the kids would enjoy mystic mountain...that's where the tranopy tour is...it's the bobsled, zip lines and chair lift (that was a beautiful ride) as well as a shop, some history lessons, small pool and waterslid and a restuarant. great photo ops here too!!!!

Went to Jamaica last week and we booked thru Marva Shaw, knowjamaica.com and it was just myself and a 19 year old and we felt 100 % safe, we went to DRF which was very slippery and it was gorgeous and went River Tubing loved it, and stopped at Reggae Beach and then shopping.

Marva was very nice,and I would use her again in a heartbeat.

I had heard from reading reviews on here that the kids needed school supplies, so I gave them to her with some lego's and she was very nice and said she would give them to the teacher. Marva will do a tour on what you wish to do. Have fun on what you pick out!!

Went to Jamaica last week and we booked thru Marva Shaw, knowjamaica.com and it was just myself and a 19 year old and we felt 100 % safe, we went to DRF which was very slippery and it was gorgeous and went River Tubing loved it, and stopped at Reggae Beach and then shopping.

Marva was very nice,and I would use her again in a heartbeat.

I had heard from reading reviews on here that the kids needed school supplies, so I gave them to her with some lego's and she was very nice and said she would give them to the teacher. Marva will do a tour on what you wish to do. Have fun on what you pick out!!

pj,

I'm curious, I am looking at marva's website, doing the DRF, tubing and Reggae beach excursion as well.

can you please elaborate a bit more on that excursion. Were you with other people? was the shopping at the places where you hear all of the stories about harrassment? i know how to say "no thank you" so i just want to be informed. This is looking like the best excursion for us. how long were you on the river in tubes...how long at the beach...did you eat any of the food there? ya know, just general info would be appreciated. Thank you

We just returned about 2 weeks ago. We booked Courtney Taylor for a family of 6 and for 20$ per person he took us to the Falls (15$ each) then river tubing (20$ each) then sightseeing. It was nice to have a private vehicle to leave our things in and he was very nice company.

Remember to KEEP LEFT when they herd you into the flea market at the falls (it says exit to buses to the right but STAY LEFT!!! and you will make it right out).

We had lots of fun at both stops, definately worth it (and much cheaper than the ship excursion). We got the the falls early and avoided large crowds and just asked for a private guide at the falls (it really helped my MOM of 62 climb up the entire falls) and the guide took photos of us with my camera, definately worth a tip (we gave him $20 for a good job).

Jamaica as a seaport is a stop which you MUST BE AWARE, prior to disembarking. If you take a tour, you will be protected from these peddlers and drug dealers who almost "attack" you when you start to walk into the port. I would suggest a tour for those who are fit ... Duns River Falls is an energetic experience .. a city tour is interesting as well. Over all Jamaica can be a great experience if you know what to AVOID!

Me and the whole family will be in Jamaica in April next year and i was wondering, what do u guys do there?:)

First of all, Jamaica has three ports (the third is under construction). So, which port are you going to? For example, Dunn's River Falls is a great idea if you are in Ocho Rios. I would not recommend it from Montego Bay.

Second, one activity that is an unfortunate necessity is trying to avoid the very aggressive street vendors.

pj,

I'm curious, I am looking at marva's website, doing the DRF, tubing and Reggae beach excursion as well.

can you please elaborate a bit more on that excursion. Were you with other people? was the shopping at the places where you hear all of the stories about harrassment? i know how to say "no thank you" so i just want to be informed. This is looking like the best excursion for us. how long were you on the river in tubes...how long at the beach...did you eat any of the food there? ya know, just general info would be appreciated. Thank you

Hi,

There ended up being one couple and a family of 4 and it was so much fun, the tubing was for 45 minutes, that was my highlight of the tour. I brought a water camera with me also.

I think it was and hour at beach it was raining after we got there and Marva stopped at the Taja Mall and told us to go in one shop she knew we could get a discount, and we could go in the other stores if we wished which we did and no one harrassed us at all.

The other couple and Family did eat at the beach, and so did Marva, I was just traveling with a 19 year old girl and I had no worries and felt safe the whole time.

Hi,

There ended up being one couple and a family of 4 and it was so much fun, the tubing was for 45 minutes, that was my highlight of the tour. I brought a water camera with me also.

I think it was and hour at beach it was raining after we got there and Marva stopped at the Taja Mall and told us to go in one shop she knew we could get a discount, and we could go in the other stores if we wished which we did and no one harrassed us at all.

The other couple and Family did eat at the beach, and so did Marva, I was just traveling with a 19 year old girl and I had no worries and felt safe the whole time.

thanks pj......this sounds like a good idea for us.

We were there in the beginning of the year and took the dunns river shuttle to dunns river falls. It was an amazing experience. The shuttle was convenient and the falls were gorgeous- a little slippery going up, but a lot of fun. We are cruising again in November and are thinking about going to Bamboo Beach Club - that also looks like a fun, safe place to go.

Archived