Article on River Cruising down the Danube in USA Today 16-July-2009 edition

usavvy2

in this weekend's edition of the USA Today, there's a positive article about river cruising down the Danube along with a few accompanying photographs. This article features Uniworld's River Beatrice but regardless of what line was selected, it's good press for river cruises in general.

For those already booked on a cruise, you may or may not find it helpful but to those who aren't yet sold on it, check it out! Link provided above for the online edition.

Yes! What good timing for me since I will be on this very cruise and ship in exactly one week. I am thrilled that the review was extremely positive and it really increased my excitement level. This is my first river cruise and I think I made the best choice of cruiseline and ship.

Cheryl,

Thank you for the good wishes! As it happens, I'm in cabin 308 so I will be able get a real good look. I doubt that I will be writing a review because Carolyn is in the process of doing that right now and I'm sure that her's will be much better than anything I could do, so keep on the lookout for her review at anytime; I'm hoping that I will get a chance to read it before I leave this weekend.

Debbie

P.S. When will you be sailing?

My question would be "How can you not plan ahead?", I enjoy the planning, research etc. My husband and I need to coordinate vacation time and since I work in the schools I can only go during the busiest time (summer), so we know we need to book early. The first trip we chose was already sold out for next June.

Enjoy your planning.

Cheryl

DH loves to research trips--we just returned from a Norway cruise, planned more than a year ago. In Sept, we sail the Douro, reserved last Oct. Next year, we have 3 trips planned--Antartica, the passion play with river cruise and russian river cruise. In fact this week he said " I have someplace we should go in 2011--the Paris airshow. As long as our health and money hold out, planning is truly a super part of the trip. Pat

My question would be "How can you not plan ahead?", I enjoy the planning, research etc. My husband and I need to coordinate vacation time and since I work in the schools I can only go during the busiest time (summer), so we know we need to book early. The first trip we chose was already sold out for next June.

Enjoy your planning.

Cheryl

I have researched and planned my own independent travel since I was a teen -- many years ago. I have years of travel experiences behind me. Until recently, most of the travel I did was independent, no tours. I also love the research and planning part of traveling. I guess that is why I'm on CC. I also have been there with school schedules and coordinating vacation time. Because we went independently, other than flights and a first night hotel, there was only a basic plan with options - if plan A didn't work out, move on to plan B. Some of our best memories and experiences are from the times we had to come up with plan C, D, or E on the spot. These are the times you get to do and see what is not in the guide books. So this is my answer to why it is difficult for me to plan ahead. I thrive on spontaneity and focus on the "now." I get these offers for early bookings, and almost get a panic attack when I think about booking one.

DH loves to research trips--we just returned from a Norway cruise, planned more than a year ago. In Sept, we sail the Douro, reserved last Oct. Next year, we have 3 trips planned--Antartica, the passion play with river cruise and russian river cruise. In fact this week he said " I have someplace we should go in 2011--the Paris airshow. As long as our health and money hold out, planning is truly a super part of the trip. Pat

How far up the coast of Norway did you go? Did you happen to go on the Prinsendam? I've looked at the Prinsendam Norway Coast for June 2010, but went into my usually "freeze" mood when it came to book so far ahead. We've only gone as far as the Artic circle, not above it. I'd like to go up farther may be taking the working vessel that stops at all the tiny villages along the way. Did the British Columbia coast on the BC ferries several years ago....very interesting, but the cabins are small and bare bones. Using the ferries, you can get off and spend a night or two on land and then pick up another ferry. The cabins and food on the Baltic and Scandinavian ferries are quite nice. I wonder how the cabins are on the ones that do the coast of Norway. With the Prinsendam, there is no question of comfort, space, and quality. I'm a big fan of Holland Am. and also Cunard.

Have been looking at the cruises offered on the Douro. I'd really be interested in hearing your impressions and experiences. Like you, I'd like to do that in the Fall. Please send a reply stating where you will post them.

I am constantly researching places and travel whether or not I happen to have a current plan for that destination. Never know what "new" might present itself to stimulate my urge to travel there...like the air show in Paris. Cruising from Normandy to Southern France (combine 2 sections of cruising) with Paris in between is on the list. Paris is always a treat no matter how many times you have been there.

For me, the most frustrating part of cruising are the time limits in a port. I like the cruises that give you at least one port with an overnight. Unlike ocean cruises, river cruising usually gets you up close to most sites and points of interest...a big plus.

Do you take trip insurance on all these trips you plan in advance?

there is the "trip" its self and then there is the 'pre-trip' planning and reasearch. both aspects are are very rewarding!!

"Calm Seas; calm markets; good health" -- You're right on with that quote!

Travel research is on going for me which makes it very easy to pick up and go with short notice.

Archived