Any Thoughts on Alaska in September

Hblanton

Hi, the wife and I have been on about 10 cruises (mostly Caribbean/Mexico and 3 transatlantic crossings.) We are late 40s, retired and pretty atypical cruisers in that we use pretty much nothing offered on the ship except the cabin and meals. We don't care about the food really, never go to shows, use the gym, etc. But we love time on the sea to catch up on reading, look out at the ocean, etc. What can I say - it works for us.

We live in San FRancisco and there is a NCL trip from Vancouver to SF via Alaska on Sept 13rd. We've wanted to go to Alaska (a long RV trip is in our future) and this seems like an easy and inexpensive introduction to the state.

My questions are about the advisability of going so late in the year. I had expected we would cruise there next May perhaps, but this Sept offer may be too good to refuse. CAn anyone comment on the weather, how early it gets dark, and maybe most importantly, the effect of this time of the year on siteseeing, whale watching, etc? Essentially I'm asking if it is a mistake to go in mid-September.

I look forward to your input.

HL Blanton IV

Hi, the wife and I have been on about 10 cruises (mostly Caribbean/Mexico and 3 transatlantic crossings.) We are late 40s, retired and pretty atypical cruisers in that we use pretty much nothing offered on the ship except the cabin and meals. We don't care about the food really, never go to shows, use the gym, etc. But we love time on the sea to catch up on reading, look out at the ocean, etc. What can I say - it works for us.

We live in San FRancisco and there is a NCL trip from Vancouver to SF via Alaska on Sept 13rd. We've wanted to go to Alaska (a long RV trip is in our future) and this seems like an easy and inexpensive introduction to the state.

My questions are about the advisability of going so late in the year. I had expected we would cruise there next May perhaps, but this Sept offer may be too good to refuse. CAn anyone comment on the weather, how early it gets dark, and maybe most importantly, the effect of this time of the year on siteseeing, whale watching, etc? Essentially I'm asking if it is a mistake to go in mid-September.

I look forward to your input.

HL Blanton IV

Nothing is typical these days in relationship to weather. However, my hubby and I went to Alaska several years ago in early Sept. and it was simply wonderful. It got dark around 10pm, sunny days, some mist in Anchorage, but not enough to spoil anything. Go for it....we are planning to go again in late August or Sept '10.

Enjoy,

Pinkie

I think September is a nice time to go to Alaska. There will be somehwhat less tourists than you see in the summer months since school is back in session.

You may want to also post on the Alaska Ports of Call Board.

Keith

We have gone to Alaska in Sept twice. We had the best weather both times. It misted a couple of times but did not really rain at all. We did a land tour and have the best pictures of Mt. McKinley. Alaska is pretty port intensive so making the most of relaxation is a key to enjoying your time there.

If you have a cruise in early September-you can see the salmon spawning in Ketchikan. Friends of ours saw that-and we were very disappointed that we did not see the salmon on our cruise the following year. Locals told us the salmon are only in the streams in late August and early September. Our friends did not relaize they were spawning-they simply assumed you always saw the salmon in the streams.

The weather is unpredictable in Alaska, but on our September sailing it was perfect. We were on the last cruise of the season that year, and it was better than on our June Alaska cruise. We had 72 degrees in Ketchikan (admittedly rather rare), and sunny skies. Keep in mind that you aren't going to Alaska for the weather, but for the gorgeous scenery and wildlife (we saw whales both times). Enjoy! :)

We cruised from Vancouver the lst wk of Sept about 3 yrs ago, and then did the land tour on RCCL. Weather was cool but gorgeous. When we did the land portion, we saw ALL the animals in Denali park. I know many people that have don this cruise in the summer and ride thru the park all day and see no wild like

It only rainned one day in Juneau.

Also this time of the year you can see the Northern Lights which I would go this time of year again just to see this.

Book your cruise and enjoy

Archived