FLL airport to MIA port - rent a car OR take a cab?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a travel agent and have clients who booked their own air following their cruise. They're sailing into Port of Miami and flying out of FLL. The only problem is that they've scheduled an 1130am flight. Had I arranged their air I would not have booked something so early, but what's done is done. Now they're asking me to arrange their transportation from the Port to the Airport. I have not had personal experience with this particular scenario (other than transfers offered through the cruise line), so I'm looking for some other expert opinions! Obviously the cruise line will not even offer transportation to these clients because their flight is too early by cruise line standards.

Who can recommend a safe, RELIABLE shuttle company for me to reserve for my clients? I need to be confident in the shuttle's reliability since there will be no time to spare...

Thanks!

Your clients will need to see the purser and get off the ship with self assist. Hopefully they will pack lightly so they dont spend the time finidng their luggage. If not-- ask the pursers desk for early off tags.

Do they have a cell phone??? a lot of companies are good especially if you have a cell to let the driver/company know whats happening. it sucks to be a driver and have to wait for hours waiting-

We used http://www.larryslimo.com as soo as your color is called we called him and he sent his driver. By the time we found our luggage and headed outside he was justt pulling up.

Your client will need to be at the FLL airport by 9:30 which gives them the 2 hour clearance. Its a 45 minute drive considering no traffic.

If car services is out of the question a cab will cost 75 bucks one way. (at least they wont have to wait for the cab/

I hope that you as the travel agent dont get blamed for all that. Its not a good way to end a vacation.

I'm a travel agent and have clients who booked their own air following their cruise. They're sailing into Port of Miami and flying out of FLL. The only problem is that they've scheduled an 1130am flight. Had I arranged their air I would not have booked something so early, but what's done is done. Now they're asking me to arrange their transportation from the Port to the Airport. I have not had personal experience with this particular scenario (other than transfers offered through the cruise line), so I'm looking for some other expert opinions! Obviously the cruise line will not even offer transportation to these clients because their flight is too early by cruise line standards.

Who can recommend a safe, RELIABLE shuttle company for me to reserve for my clients? I need to be confident in the shuttle's reliability since there will be no time to spare...

Thanks!

If your clients miss their 11:30am flight from FLL, I certainly hope they don't blame YOU because you were the one that arranged their transporation from the Port of Miami. You are definitely sticking your neck (and your reputation) out on this one. No offense, but if they're so irresponsible to book their own flights with a 11:30am departure from FLL, I wouldn't touch their transfer arrangements with a 10-foot pole. A poster on another board recently said she booked a 11:30am departure from FLL and 'barely' made it. And she disembarked her cruise in Port Everglades...NOT Miami.

...it's ALWAYS the Travel Agent's fault...Didn't you know??? ;) I strive to provide exceptional service, but some clients don't make it very easy! My plan is to provide these clients with a couple of options to pursue themselves. That way it's between them and the shuttle company. If they persist that they want me to handle it, I'm going to make sure to tell them that what they need to do to make things go as smoothly as possible~but that I can't make any guarantees that they'll get to the airport in time.

Thanks for your insight

• 2 weeks later...

taellen,

WOW Ellen, having been in the industry, I know the value of allowing a TA to do the bookings for you (and I'm not trying to drum up business here).

I have cruised from MIA on different lines:

The first time disembarking from the PARADISE we were alongside by 0630, herded into the lounge at 0730, started the parade through US Immigration at 0815 and our tag numbers were called eventually at 1045. That we felt was not bad at all as our NW flt didn't depart for MSP until 1330.

The second time we cruised on the EXPLORER things were different. RCCL cloisters everyone in all the different lounges depending on their tag colours. Once your tag colour is called, you then proceed to the gangway where... you encounter your first lineup. Once you get off the ship into the upper levels of the terminal, the line divides in two...US citizens and non-US citizens. Obviously returning citizens move faster. It took approx one and a half hours to get thru Immigration for returning citizens and about 2 hours for non.

Once you get thru Immigration it's nothing retrieving your luggage downstairs as it's laid out by colour tags and very quick then you're outta there. That's another 20-25 minutes.

BOTTOM LINE to advise clients...be prepared to stand in line both embarking and disembarking. Security is taken seriously...no photos allowed in the boarding security area.

Disembarking, Homeland Security is important to remember. If you're not a US or CDN citizen you're time getting thru Immigration may be subj to fingerprinting or retinal scan, SOOOO, flts out of MIA no earlier than noon, and out of FLL give another 1-2 hrs.

If you have four people, one option might be cheaper to do a day rental thru Alamo (good rates) and no drop off charges between FLL and MIA. A full size will run you about $55+/- per day and you just cruise up I-95 to I-595 East and follow the FLL terminal signs.

Thought to ponder...and who says the client is always right...don't think so.

Ciao for now!!!

I'm also flying out of FLL and I think after all my looking I will end up going with Super Shuttle. It's $23 pp to FLL airport. I might be able to get a rental car for a few bucks cheaper but don't want to deal with the hassle of going to MIA airport to pick up car and then having to drop it off again.

Hello. We are flying in to FLL, renting a car through Enterprise and driving to Miami. I booked a hotel at the beach, the next day we will drive to the port, drop off an Enterprise location and they will shuttle us to the dock. Cost...$33 for our family of five. Not bad!!! We are actually going to do the same thing for our return. The rep told us to call them asap when we are getting of the ship and they will come pick us up and take us to our car.

Archived