Seriously, do I need to pack a sport coat for evening concerts in BUD, VIE, and PRG?

usavvy2

Is a sport coat needed for concerts in BUD, VIE, and PRG?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Is a sport coat needed for concerts in BUD, VIE, and PRG?

• I've attended one & u will be "odd man out" if you don't!
    • I've attended one & u won't be the only one without it!
    • I've never attended one but I think you should [read my post below]

I've created a poll to see what folks think I should do in this situation:

I am trying to pack as light as possible for a river cruise this coming September (on Avalon). My question is: do I need to pack a sports jacket for DH to wear at concerts in Vienna, Prague or Budapest? (I'm fine with him not wearing one to dinner on the riverboat.)

It just seems like a waste of luggage space and weight to pack a sports coat if he could get away with just wearing a button down shirt perhaps with a vest and/or tie and wearing a lightweight casual jacket to/fro the event. (He is not trying to qualify for the cover of GQ magazine nor does he want to insult the locals by not wearing a sports coat.

Anyone have any experience with what to expect? Will he really look out of place without a sports coat?

I don't think they had air conditioning as we know it at the Vienna concert...very warm....very few men wore jackets. There were people there from many different tour groups, and everyone came very casual.

USAVVY2~~which Avalon sailing are you doing? We are on the 9/22 Affinity. My DH will not be bringing any sport coats or dressy clothes based on all I've read on these boards. Missyal

We will be on 9/25 Tapestry from BUD - PRG. Perhaps we'll pass on the water! And, after hearing these replies - the sports coat is staying HOME! :D

DH will be delighted with that decision, I'm sure. :)

I've created a poll to see what folks think I should do in this situation:

I am trying to pack as light as possible for a river cruise this coming September (on Avalon). My question is: do I need to pack a sports jacket for DH to wear at concerts in Vienna, Prague or Budapest? (I'm fine with him not wearing one to dinner on the riverboat.)

It just seems like a waste of luggage space and weight to pack a sports coat if he could get away with just wearing a button down shirt perhaps with a vest and/or tie and wearing a lightweight casual jacket to/fro the event. (He is not trying to qualify for the cover of GQ magazine nor does he want to insult the locals by not wearing a sports coat.

Anyone have any experience with what to expect? Will he really look out of place without a sports coat?

I voted for no sports jacket, but would like to clarify. In September it may be cool and a sports jacket looks smart in these cities during the day....even with jeans. European men tend to wear sports jackets as a casual jacket when the weather has a chill. There are fewer tourists in Sept. and less extremely casual dress. Your DH might consider wearing his sports jacket on the plane and using it as his primary jacket for the trip. Add a wool scarf for cooler nights and he'll like like he is a native.

I voted for no sports jacket, but would like to clarify. In September it may be cool and a sports jacket looks smart in these cities during the day....even with jeans. European men tend to wear sports jackets as a casual jacket when the weather has a chill. There are fewer tourists in Sept. and less extremely casual dress. Your DH might consider wearing his sports jacket on the plane and using it as his primary jacket for the trip. Add a wool scarf for cooler nights and he'll like like he is a native.

travelite - thanks for the tip - especially about the wool scarf! DH hates his neck to get cold! Will be thinking of you when I see it wrapped around his neck and will thank my lucky stars that I asked this question and that you responded with this bonus tip! pixie dust to you!

A jacket will NOT be needed. They told us on Viking "everyone" dresses up. Yeah tell that to the tourists in shorts who attented the Kursalon concert with us. I would say less than 1/2 of the men had on jackets and it was quite warm in there as well. It is possible it could be cool in Vienna at night, depending on month.

Same on the ship, the first day some passengers were quite dressed up, someone asked the tour directour if we could wear shorts cause it was so hot. He said sure its your cruise.

Then many wore shorts and jeans the entire rest of the 15 days onboard!

Bruce4fun

• 2 weeks later...

We took the AMA Magnificent Europe late September 2008, the majority of men wore jackets to the concert and to both Captain and farewell dinner. After reading all the tips on the Board, I did not pack a jacket for hubby. He felt very uncomfortable. He bought a jacket enroute and since our weather was unusually cool during the cruise, it came in handy. Maybe the summer sailings are more casual?

Archived