The Future of the Muster Drill?

I think it would be better to have had the muster drill "where you would actually meet" --not in the lounge. This way you would know where to go in an actual situation and have a feel for the process. I think it is a necessary inconvenience.

If your muster station is in a lounge, that is where you would "actually meet in an emergency situation". However you should also realize that in an actual emergency, that location might not be accessible. The most important thing is to listen to the instructions given at the drill and recognize that, in a real emergency, everyone needs to follow the directions of the ship's officers and crew who are trained on a regular basis to deal with all sorts of contingencies and to go where they tell you which may or may not be your assigned muster station.

I don't either, but I know they stress the importance of having your meds with you and while neither you or I have any, many do!!!

Not a problem, I can plan for this - I have a flat packing small backpack sort of bag, I can keep my stuff that does not need refrigeration in it and Rob can swing back to the cabin, grab the bag, grab my autoinjects and the little cooling pack for them, and grab the passports/papers and meet me at the lifeboats. It is small enough it carries nicely on a lap.

Not a problem, I can plan for this - I have a flat packing small backpack sort of bag, I can keep my stuff that does not need refrigeration in it and Rob can swing back to the cabin, grab the bag, grab my autoinjects and the little cooling pack for them, and grab the passports/papers and meet me at the lifeboats. It is small enough it carries nicely on a lap.

You might want to keep that list to a minimum. In a real emergency you do not want to be rummaging around the cabin trying to gather everything. Meds yes, the rest - if it's not with the meds, leave it.

We're just back from the Majesty and I have a new pet peeve - people who think the muster drill is a time to flirt and carry on conversations while very important info - like the meds question - is being provided.

We sailed on Freedom on October 25th, and used the new system, compared to Navigator last year when we used the old system.

The new one was far preferable IMO - We were playing mini-golf when we were called, walked straight down to out muster point (which we'd checked immediately after boarding, so we knew where it was). Far more comfortable and a lot quicker.

The stairs also moved a lot more quickly, because there wasn't a counterflow of people trying to get to their cabins, everyone was moving in the same direction.

The OP asked about the future of the muster drill. This, I hope, is it!!

Gosh' date=' whoever thought of that gets a medal! You had to wear them, you had to strap them on, then you always had to use some steps...it was like having a 52DD Bust! Geesh! Thank you rccl. I was recently on a ship and I loved that system![/quote']

So under the new system the first time you get to put a lifejcaket on is in an emergency. Then you discover how akward they are to get around in, particularly on steps etc... instead of having already mastered it at the muster drill - interesting :confused:

So under the new system the first time you get to put a lifejcaket on is in an emergency. Then you discover how akward they are to get around in, particularly on steps etc... instead of having already mastered it at the muster drill - interesting :confused:

Do you really believe that many people actually "master it" at the muster drill? There will be staff to assist you if you have problems but awkward as they may be, it really doesn't take a rocket scientist to put one on, and putting them on at the muster station should eliminate those problems you foresee with steps etc.:rolleyes:

Do you really believe that many people actually "master it" at the muster drill? There will be staff to assist you if you have problems but awkward as they may be, it really doesn't take a rocket scientist to put one on, and putting them on at the muster station should eliminate those problems you foresee with steps etc.:rolleyes:

I've only been on one cruise but they had the old style muster drill and it was very helpful to experience the life jacket in a no pressure situation.

I saw people who had them on all wrong and had no idea how they should be worn. In a real emergency would the staff have time to go around everyone checking they have it right? It really can be life or death as there is no way of knowing what sort of emergence might arise. So I for one am happy to give up 20 minutes of a cruise and put up with a little inconvenience to ensure my safety as far as possible. I know most people feel differently but difference is what makes the world go around :)

I've only been on one cruise but they had the old style muster drill and it was very helpful to experience the life jacket in a no pressure situation.

I saw people who had them on all wrong and had no idea how they should be worn. In a real emergency would the staff have time to go around everyone checking they have it right? It really can be life or death as there is no way of knowing what sort of emergence might arise. So I for one am happy to give up 20 minutes of a cruise and put up with a little inconvenience to ensure my safety as far as possible. I know most people feel differently but difference is what makes the world go around :)

At the new jacket-less muster drills, the crew still demonstrates the correct way to put on and adjust the life jacket and if anyone has questions about it, I am sure that they will give them a personal demonstration. Weighed against the discomfort of wearing that jacket in the old style muster drill, and based on my personal observations on the first three musters using the new system,I believe most people prefer the new policy and I have to believe that the Coast Guard considered your points before approving this new procedure. Hopefully we will never have a situation where the procedures, new or old, are put to the test.:)

Sounds like a great improvement by not having to drag the lifevests through the hallways. While muster may be considered distasteful to most veteran cruisers, it surely is an important and critical component to safe cruising. Kinda like CPR - a refresher can only help should a situation occur. And besides, the muster can be a great way to meet some new cruise buddies:)

I'vve never considered muster drills distasteful. I always think of them as being for my safety should there be an emergency.

I think it is about time the muster drill became less stressful. To me, it is the worst part of the cruise.

Less stressful!

Let's hope you're never in a real emergency. ;)

On HCL, the life vest is put on in one's room and worn to your lifeboat. After Muster, wear it back to the room to prevent tripping.

Yeah, Muster takes a few minutes but those minutes could help save your life.

Hello

My problem is the elevator are not working right before and after the muster drill and we are

lugging or wearing around our life jackets and we need walk down or up 7 or 8 flights with these life jackets. My husband is ill and I have a bad knee from it being cracked, there are lots of people with other problems. When people are going to their muster station they require you to wear them going up and down stairs and you can see the stairs. How safe is this? Get rid of the life jackets during the drill. I cant stand wearing them knowing the last person was probably sweating in them. Gross!!! I wont care if someone was sweating in a real emergency. ( the vanity part)And girls what good is it getting your hair fixed up if its ruined by the life jackets.

thanks RCCL for thinking.

Im on the Brillance next month, RCCL please take away the life jackets in the muster before I get there.

Happy cruising

Brenda

yeah- they're unloading luggage when the disabled (I use a walker) are trying to find a working elevator! I try to leave about 15-30 mins early (bulky vest hanging over the handle of my walker) & meet friends/family at designated station.

Archived