Post your links to your travel albums

I made a wedding book through MyPublisher for my daughter's wedding, we were very happy - wedding book

We ordered our book Tuesday night and it should be here tomorrow (Friday), I'm pretty happy with their service!:D

BEAUTIFUL book and so nicely put together. Thanks for sharing.

Here's a link to a book I did on Blurb. They only allow a few pages of preview, so I'm sending you to a full book slideshow that I put up on one of my photo shares.

http://pierce324.zenfolio.com/p392446153/slideshow#h29791a80

Enjoy!

Dave

Congratulations for your awesome idea and pics!

Im surprised with it! Thats a nice way to show how you love cruising, traveling, and taking pics!

I might do one of those one day!

Congratulations one more time :)

Thanks to everyone for sharing their photo books.

You have all inspired me to get going on my Alaska photos from last week.

Thanks

Dense

Please share with us once your book is completed. I'd love to see your style and photos. thanks:)

Congratulations for your awesome idea and pics!

Im surprised with it! Thats a nice way to show how you love cruising, traveling, and taking pics!

I might do one of those one day!

Congratulations one more time :)

Thank you. It was a fun way to capture our "breathless" moments.

Dave

The photos are a compilation of cruise photos taken since 2002. It took longer to choose than to do the book. I went through about 22,000 cruise photos and chose about 1,100 as a pool to select from then I picked shots that fit the page and the theme for the chapter.

Dave

Dave, any suggestions on how to go about choosing from thousands of photos? I set up Picasa as you had suggested to me in another post. Do you go through and "star" your favourites and then put them into an album? Do you create a new folder for your favourites? I also find that I have to open them right up to really see the photo...thumbnails are too small for these tired eyes! Do you have to do that too?

Thanks for any help.

Dave, any suggestions on how to go about choosing from thousands of photos? I set up Picasa as you had suggested to me in another post. Do you go through and "star" your favourites and then put them into an album? Do you create a new folder for your favourites? I also find that I have to open them right up to really see the photo...thumbnails are too small for these tired eyes! Do you have to do that too?

Thanks for any help.

I go to the folder I want to scan and open the first photo. If I want to use it I hit the space bar (adds the star). I press the right arrow key and go to the next photo. Repeat as necessary. I find the right and left keys are great for flashing between similar photos.

When I am done with the folder, I click on the "Show starred only" icon at the top, select all the starred photos in the folder and add them to an album. Albums are great since an album just adds a pointer to the database and doesn't actually duplicate the folder and take up space.

Dave

I go to the folder I want to scan and open the first photo. If I want to use it I hit the space bar (adds the star). I press the right arrow key and go to the next photo. Repeat as necessary. I find the right and left keys are great for flashing between similar photos.

When I am done with the folder, I click on the "Show starred only" icon at the top, select all the starred photos in the folder and add them to an album. Albums are great since an album just adds a pointer to the database and doesn't actually duplicate the folder and take up space.

Dave

Thanks, Dave. I thought that was what to do but wasn't sure.

Is this how you also add tags? I took over 5,000 photos in Alaska and want to tag them with peoples names, places, etc but does that mean you have to go through each and every photo and put in multiple words to find them by?

By the way, I had a look at your photo book. Absolutely awesome...inspiring...beautiful. You definitely have great photographic talent but also a great eye. That's my problem...I never seem to see the creative way to take a photo. I'll have to try and be more open to creativity.

Thanks, Dave. I thought that was what to do but wasn't sure.

Is this how you also add tags? I took over 5,000 photos in Alaska and want to tag them with peoples names, places, etc but does that mean you have to go through each and every photo and put in multiple words to find them by?

In thumbnail view, you can select multiple consecutive images (shift-click) or multiple non-consecutive images (ctrl-click) and add a tag to all of them at once. You can stack tags as well.

An example would be:

Select all the files in the "Alaska 2009 - Juneau" folder and add "Alaska" and "Juneau"

Clear the selection and select the ones that have the whale watching tour adding "Whale Watching"

Clear the selection again and select the ones with whale tails adding "Fluke"

The last set will have all four tags while any from the first pass that weren't reselected will only have the original two.

If you leave the tag box open and set it off to the side, it conveniently retains the working set of tags in the drop-down box.

On a fresh set of cruise images I will:

Separate them into days and go through them all, deleting the fuzzys and "what the hell was I seeing?" shots.

Use IrfanView to batch rename them as "Alaska 2009 - Juneau 001", Alaska 2009 - Juneau 002", etc. (Article on the process here:http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/BatchRename.htm)

You can easily batch rename multiple files in Picasa, but I like the options that IrfanView offers better. YMMV.

I will then go through and star the ones I intend to post. While starring, I will add a caption.

By the way, I had a look at your photo book. Absolutely awesome...inspiring...beautiful. You definitely have great photographic talent but also a great eye. That's my problem...I never seem to see the creative way to take a photo. I'll have to try and be more open to creativity.

Thank you!

"Creativity" is an over-used word. I come from the "Oooooh, pretty!" school of artistic expression. I take pictures of things I like the looks of and if others like what I saw, fine. If the person you're trying to please the most with your photos is yourself, you will find that your enjoyment will reflect itself in the image. Also, there will always be at least one person that likes your photos! ;)

Glad you enjoyed the book.

Dave

In thumbnail view, you can select multiple consecutive images (shift-click) or multiple non-consecutive images (ctrl-click) and add a tag to all of them at once. You can stack tags as well.

An example would be:

Select all the files in the "Alaska 2009 - Juneau" folder and add "Alaska" and "Juneau"

Clear the selection and select the ones that have the whale watching tour adding "Whale Watching"

Clear the selection again and select the ones with whale tails adding "Fluke"

The last set will have all four tags while any from the first pass that weren't reselected will only have the original two.

If you leave the tag box open and set it off to the side, it conveniently retains the working set of tags in the drop-down box.

On a fresh set of cruise images I will:

Separate them into days and go through them all, deleting the fuzzys and "what the hell was I seeing?" shots.

Use IrfanView to batch rename them as "Alaska 2009 - Juneau 001", Alaska 2009 - Juneau 002", etc. (Article on the process here:http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/BatchRename.htm)

You can easily batch rename multiple files in Picasa, but I like the options that IrfanView offers better. YMMV.

I will then go through and star the ones I intend to post. While starring, I will add a caption.

Thank you!

"Creativity" is an over-used word. I come from the "Oooooh, pretty!" school of artistic expression. I take pictures of things I like the looks of and if others like what I saw, fine. If the person you're trying to please the most with your photos is yourself, you will find that your enjoyment will reflect itself in the image. Also, there will always be at least one person that likes your photos! ;)

Glad you enjoyed the book.

Dave

Thank you, yet again, Dave! You are my hero on Cruise Critic photography! You answer questions in simple terms. I am so glad I asked about the tagging. I thought I had to go one by one through each photo!

I would love to know about your photographic history. How long have you been "into" photography. Did you take courses, how did you learn. No matter how much I read, I feel like I never get any further and I'd like to.

I have a few p & s cameras. My friend loaned me her Canon XT with a telephoto lens (300mm) for Alaska. Thank goodness. My whales would have looked like pin dots! I actually got some pretty good pictures once I took the focusing dots (not sure what they are called) off and only had the centre one on. When they were all on, it seemed the camera would focus on everything except what I wanted it to. Some of my bear shots didn't turn out because of this but I finally figured it out and turned only the centre focus on. Not sure if that was the right thing to do or not but it seemed to work!

Thanks again for all of your help. At the least, I'll have my photos organized. Maybe someday, I'll get the 10,000 or so that I've printed into albums!!!!:D

Thank you, yet again, Dave! You are my hero on Cruise Critic photography! You answer questions in simple terms. I am so glad I asked about the tagging. I thought I had to go one by one through each photo!

I would love to know about your photographic history. How long have you been "into" photography. Did you take courses, how did you learn. No matter how much I read, I feel like I never get any further and I'd like to.

Pleas stop, lest I blush! :o

I've never had any "formal" training. I am just an avid hobbyist with a decent understanding of the tech involved.

I wrote a brief bio on my website if you're interested: http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/Welcome.htm

I have a few p & s cameras. My friend loaned me her Canon XT with a telephoto lens (300mm) for Alaska. Thank goodness. My whales would have looked like pin dots! I actually got some pretty good pictures once I took the focusing dots (not sure what they are called) off and only had the centre one on. When they were all on, it seemed the camera would focus on everything except what I wanted it to. Some of my bear shots didn't turn out because of this but I finally figured it out and turned only the centre focus on. Not sure if that was the right thing to do or not but it seemed to work!

Thanks again for all of your help. At the least, I'll have my photos organized. Maybe someday, I'll get the 10,000 or so that I've printed into albums!!!!:D

Center focus is best for any time you are aiming at something that isn't moving across the frame. the Wide area focus works OK with sports and such, but is not as smart and fast on entry-level cameras like the Rebel as it is on the pro and semi-pro cameras.

You made a good choice.

FYI, I print less than 1% of my images and virtually none at 4x6 snapshot size. I have found that DVD slide shows are an incredible way to share photos on both computers or a big screen TV (which most people have). I also like the sharing sites like PBase and Zenfolio. This forum pointed me at the photo books which I have found to be a great deal of fun. I guess I like the ease of access. It's so much easier to find photos and re-live the fun on a computer than hauling out a big ol' book. Maybe (probably) it's just me.:D

Anyway, enjoy your photos and have fun organizing them!

Dave

Pleas stop, lest I blush! :o

I've never had any "formal" training. I am just an avid hobbyist with a decent understanding of the tech involved.

I wrote a brief bio on my website if you're interested: http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/Welcome.htm

Center focus is best for any time you are aiming at something that isn't moving across the frame. the Wide area focus works OK with sports and such, but is not as smart and fast on entry-level cameras like the Rebel as it is on the pro and semi-pro cameras.

You made a good choice.

FYI, I print less than 1% of my images and virtually none at 4x6 snapshot size. I have found that DVD slide shows are an incredible way to share photos on both computers or a big screen TV (which most people have). I also like the sharing sites like PBase and Zenfolio. This forum pointed me at the photo books which I have found to be a great deal of fun. I guess I like the ease of access. It's so much easier to find photos and re-live the fun on a computer than hauling out a big ol' book. Maybe (probably) it's just me.:D

Anyway, enjoy your photos and have fun organizing them!

Dave

OK...I read your bio on your website and now I feel dumb! I have such trouble figure out f-stops and high speeds and what not and you were doing that at 13!!!!!! Good grief!

Just kidding...good for you. I wish I had had a camera as a kid! We bought my daughter the Canon D10 for our Alaska trip. She took some of the best photos...especially of Mount McKinley. I think kids sometimes see things differently.

I do thank you again for all of your help. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions from time to time. And thank you for the DVD idea. Never thought to do that and I hate everyone having to huddle around the computer. I just noticed that Seagate has this new thing called a Freeagent Theatre. You take your portable back up (I'm sure it must be a Seagate) , put your photos/music/videos on it and plug it into the Freeagent Theatre which plays on your tv. Sounds good so I may look into that!

And I'm sorry to everyone for hijacking this thread. I shall start a new one for any new posts!

By the way...I love everyone's photo books. Thanks for the great ideas!!!

Here's a link to a book I did on Blurb. They only allow a few pages of preview, so I'm sending you to a full book slideshow that I put up on one of my photo shares.

http://pierce324.zenfolio.com/p392446153/slideshow#h29791a80

Enjoy!

Dave

Dave - I have completed a book on blurb but I am unable to share it with others since they only allow a few pages of preview. How were you able to save the book to the photo share site?

thanks

Joanne

Dave - I have completed a book on blurb but I am unable to share it with others since they only allow a few pages of preview. How were you able to save the book to the photo share site?

thanks

Joanne

This is going to seem silly, but I took screen shots of the book in the two-page BookSmart preview and cropped them. I used Picasa's clipboard capture to collect the pages. You open Picasa and minimize it, then as you press Print Screen on each page view, it captures and saves them for you. Trim them with the crop tool and export them as JPEGs for upload.

Y'know...maybe that wasn't silly after all! :D

Dave

This is going to seem silly, but I took screen shots of the book in the two-page BookSmart preview and cropped them. I used Picasa's clipboard capture to collect the pages. You open Picasa and minimize it, then as you press Print Screen on each page view, it captures and saves them for you. Trim them with the crop tool and export them as JPEGs for upload.

Y'know...maybe that wasn't silly after all! :D

Dave

Thanks for the quick response! I will have to try it when I have some time to play. By the way, I really like the way your book came out.

Joanne

This is NOT my book, but it is one of my favorites. Love the style of the book and the pages. You can tell a whole lot of time and work were put into making this fabulous book.

http://www.scrapblog.com/viewer/viewer.aspx?sbid=95319

Wow this book is amazing and it looks so professional. It must have taken this person months and months of work putting this together. Thanks for posting the link to this beautiful photo book. Please share more if you come across them. :)

Click here to see the first 15 pages of the book I made using Blurb.

Your book is beautiful and I like the black pages. Have you completed this book? Is there any way to view the entire album I love the covers too..back and front. Thanks for adding the link and I hope you can share the entire book with us. Kudos on a job well done.:)

I'm in the process of backing up all my digital files, so I have the book I made from our Caribbean cruise on my photo site in it's own gallery.

http://jkroon.smugmug.com/gallery/9092825_axPSY/1/539211484_QnrJv

Hopefully that is a link to the gallery.

Juli

What a wonderful photo gallery. Your pics & family smiles are gorgeous.

Wow this book is amazing and it looks so professional. It must have taken this person months and months of work putting this together. Thanks for posting the link to this beautiful photo book. Please share more if you come across them. :)

Just had to take another look at this book. Makes me want to go on a Rick Steves tour. Has anyone every been on one of his tours?

Archived