Self Serve Check-In Kiosks in Miami

mdorbert

I read the following article in the Vacations-to-Go Newsletter about Carnival's 'Self Serve Check-In' Piolot Program.

Has anyone used these kiosks? Are they easier? Faster? Complicated? Confusing?

From Vacations-to-Go Newsletter:

"Carnival Cruise Lines has launched a pilot program at the Port of Miami that will allow passengers to use self-service kiosks to check in for their cruises. According to Carnival, these kiosks will help streamline the embarkation process and provide a fast, convenient way to check in.

Guests must pre-register online and must be citizens of the U.S., Canada or a Visa waiver country in order to qualify to use the check-in kiosks. Booking information is accessed by swiping the passport or credit card used to pre-register online, and once a passenger has checked in using the self-service machines, stateroom keys are picked up at a nearby desk.

If the self-service check-in kiosks are well received in Miami, Carnival plans to expand the program to their other year-round home ports."

Thanks-

Michelle

My husband and I sailed out of Miami on July 12 on Valor, and although the kiosks were sitting in the middle of the lobby area, they were not yet being utilized. It seems like it would be a great benefit to seasoned cruisers, but quite confusing to new cruisers and/or those not familiar with electronic devices. It could also be challenging if there is a problem with your docs or your credit card, etc.

Sometimes, it is just better to deal with a live person than a machine. I am all for saving people's jobs! Every single Carnival employee we encountered was pleasant, helpful and efficient. I hope they are not all being replaced by machines!

Do the kiosks replace the VIP area?

Last year we were checked in with all documents in under 5 minutes and waited briefly in a comfortable lounge area in Miami.

I'm not sold that this will be quicker and more efficient for platinum cruisers.

I guess time will tell but I would be interested in hearing how it works for VIP boarding.

They certainly work in the airports. This would be great and help keep costs down.

Whle they may work at airports (notice I did not agree with "Great").... they cause delays and confusion to many already at the airport.... now think about when trying to board x number of passengers at one time.... CHAOS and CONFUSION comes to mind when passports, BC's, c.cards and cash are involved !

I dont think it is something I would use. Even at the airports, I still go through the line and check in with a live person. To me, somethings should not be replaced with machines. Human contact while going on vacation is one of those things to me. Just my own opinion.

As long as you can read and push buttons I'm sure it will be fine. I have used the ones at the airport and never have any "major" problems, plus there has always been someone there to help if needed. I have even used self check out at Home Depot.

But does bring up a question of VIP check in. I"m sure they will still have that. Maybe they will get more strict on people coming along with VIP people just because the rooms are link. But who knows.

I'll be cruising on Valor in Sept. I'll give them a try if I don't get my "upsell" call to a suite... :D

Whle they may work at airports (notice I did not agree with "Great").... they cause delays and confusion to many already at the airport.... now think about when trying to board x number of passengers at one time.... CHAOS and CONFUSION comes to mind when passports, BC's, c.cards and cash are involved !

I'm curious as to how this would work with people cruising with their birth certs instead of passports. A passport has a coded strip at the bottom that gets zipped through a reader. A birth certificate has nothing and requires a visual inspection.

I dont think it is something I would use. Even at the airports, I still go through the line and check in with a live person. To me, somethings should not be replaced with machines. Human contact while going on vacation is one of those things to me. Just my own opinion.

if i have my boarding pass or info...i just use the sky cap....so much faster...as for in maimi cruise terminal i didnt see anybody using it....and the lines went by deck sooo the wait wasn't bad

I typically do self check-out at the store. I actually work in the IT field, so interacting with a computer doesn't bother me... However, I think I will still probably go throught the regualr line and talk to a live person. It will make me feel like I'm on vacation! ;)

Thanks for all the replies!

Michelle

Archived