Location/Direction to buy phone card in Freeport or Nassau

ms simba

Cam some one give me directions as to where I can buy a phone card In Freeport or Nassau?

I need something specific as I am disabled and not able to walk long distances. I might have an electric scooter but still need to know where to go. The reason I ask this is I was told that I could buy a phone card at the shops when we docked in Cozumel. However, the stores at the Carnival pier did not sell phone cards. I am sure that in the town of Cozumel they sold them but Carnival's pier is a distance from the town.

So I am looking for info from people who have actually bought a phone card in either Freeport or Nassau. Would like to purchase one as close to the ship as possible. Hopefully, there will be a pay phone also close to the ship to use this phone card at.

Any suggestions?

Where do I buy an international phone card in the US? How much do they cost and what is the rate for calling (i.e. 10¢/minute)?

i have seen them at walgreen's but did not pay attention to the cost.

next question i would throw out there is to made certain there is still pay phones near the ship. i have been on two cruise's within the last year and honestly i have not seen a pay phone anywhere. that concept is becoming a dying breed.i remember cayman opened a call center where for a price you got to use their phone's for certain amount of mins.

good luck.

When I was in Cozumel (actually Carnival's pier at Puerta Maya) in December 2008, there were pay phones there. I didn't know what they accepted other than the local calling cards (my 1st time seeing this type of pay phone). At that time there was no shop close by that sold the cards. Nobody mentioned a calling center when I asked about pay phones. It would have been nice to go to some place like that.

So does anyone know if there is a calling center in either Freeport or Nassau?

INTERNATIONAL PHONE CARDS, which you can purchase in the US, do NOT work in the bahamas. BTC has their own phone cards and they are available in Festival Place at Port Nassau.. and there are some vendors at the Market at Freeport as well.

In the Bahamas there's a phone bank at Festival Place as well as outside of the port. Not sure about Freeport.

Be sure to read the card.. and the phone before starting. In some cases, you have to hit the # button once connected in order to converse.

Be sure to look for Batelco, Hello or Indigo cards. They come in $5, $10 and $20 denominations.

It is likely you are visiting Freeport first, then Nassau, so you'll probably want to buy one in Freeport. There are several places to buy them at Port Lucaya Marketplace, including Zorbas Greek Restaurant and several others.

You can read about the cards at http://www1.btcbahamas.com/ps/3_hello.php and there are phone numbers at the bottom where you can call to find out where to buy for sure. There are lots of signs in Port Lucaya, though, to guide you.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about these International cards as I did not see them mentioned before. No need to buy them now. When you say "Phone Bank" do you mean a row of pay phones?

yes, a row of phones. If you don't see them.. just ask.. there are some outside also.. and near rawson square as well.

Archived