Copenhagen Hotel Recommendation

Princess Di

I would like a pre-cruise hotel recommendation for Copenhagen. :cool:

Can you help me decide on Portside or Starboard Balcony for these ports: :rolleyes:

Copenhagen (Nynashamn) and Helsingor, Sweden

Helsinki, Finland

St. Petersburg, Russia

Tallinn, Estonia

Gdynia (Gdansk), Poland

Warnemunde (Berlin), Germany

I would appreciate any links to websites for port information on the above. :confused:

Thank you very much for any help. :D

The SAS Copenhagen Hotel is right in the middle of everything in downtown Copenhagen.

As for whether to book a port or starboard side room, there's absolutely no way to know. How a ship pulls into a dock depends on many things like arrival time, tides, and other ships in port and the way the ship faces changes from cruise to cruise. In Gdansk, Warnnemunde, St. Petersburg and Talinn, the ports are located in very industrial areas and there's absolutely nothing to see but storage areas and cranes loading other ships.

Hi, Steve,

Your website is just Wonderful. :D

Your photos are just great and your text well-written and comprehensive. This will certainly help me to prioritize my sightseeing. :confused:

The more I read about Copenhagen, the longer I wish to stay there. :eek:

I saved all of the Port information to send to my Aussie friends who are going with me.

I certainly do appreciate all the time and work that went into your Great Presentation.

I shall look into that hotel as well as your other, many suggestions for sightseeing. Your are so young to have been on soooo many cruises. Good for you, Steve. :cool:

Thank you so much for all the good information!

Di,

We stayed at the Hotel Vesterbro. It looks to be about the same in quality as the Scandic photo's that Steve posted. Very pedrestrian, small and basic room, bathroom decent size and pleasant enough, nothing to write home about, but nothing major to complain about either. Excellent location near Tivoli Gardens, good breakfast and free internet for guests. SAS was our first choice but they were booked. This hotel is just a couple of blocks from SAS.

To be honest, I generally find the hotels in Scandinavia lacking, so unless you're paying big dollars, I don't know if any are much of a "bang for the buck", so my advice is don't knock yourself out too much. You've got 3 good choices here, pick one and move on to your next project. They're all in excellent locations, which is the most important thing. Copenhagen is wonderful, I hope you get to spend a few days there before your cruise.

We did this Baltic itinerary on the Grand Princess this past June. (but Germany was not on our itinerary, it's on every other cruise)

Port info: For Gdansk, we used Princess' bus service to/from as it's an hour's ride. For St. Petersburg, we used Red October and were very happy with them, Denrus is also highly recommended by many. All the other ports we just walked off the ship. For Nynasham, we took the train to Stockholm - train station is a 10 minute walk from the dock. It's a tender port and Princess did a very poor job in this port getting people on and off. Tempers flared.

Which side of the ship you're on makes no difference. As someone else pointed out, the docks that Princess uses are in the "boonies" and you'll need to take their buses to town. (extra charge) There's nothing pretty to look at once you're docked. Other lines, like Celebrity, dock right in town in some of these ports allowing you more time to enjoy the city you're in and there's no need for a bus ride. My biggest complaint about Princess was the short time we spent in many places, especially Talinn. However, the cruiselines pay by the hour to dock, and from my point of view looks like they chose to shorten our visits and put more $$$ in their coffers.

Jane

Thank you for all the great information. I shall look up that hotel also. Europe, especially Scandinavia, is not the bargain it was when I lived in Pirmasens, Germany - 50 years ago. (I've even forgot how to spell it - lived there 2-1/2 years.) :rolleyes:

I googled Red Octobre and DenRus both and got nothing. Do you have a link for either Tour Provider? :confused:

I, also, am disappointed in the short time in Tallinn as this is the most economical port of all. ;)

Thanks for all your help. :cool:

Stayed in Copehagen at the SAS Copehangen Hotel. My son-in-law, who is a diplomat for Norway, recommends SAS hotels in Scandanavia. We enjoyed our 3 days in Copehagen. Walked or took the bus to see Viking museums (sp.) Locals were very heplful with directions to sights. Enjoy your stay and cruise to Scandanavia. I hope you have a port stop in Oslo. Enjoy!!!!

I am sorry that we are not stopping at Oslo because I keep seeing things about that Port and it does also sound wonderful. :D

I have 6 extra vacation days and trying to figure out how to spend them. :confused:

I need to decide so that I can pin down my air deviation. I was thinking of Amsterdam.

It has been almost 50 years since I was there. :eek:

Archived